Default Bert output shaft bushing

Is it possible to get the bushing out of the tail shaft of a Bert gen 1 tranny without pulling the tailhousing and disassembling it?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowj38 View Post
    Is it possible to get the bushing out of the tail shaft of a Bert gen 1 tranny without pulling the tailhousing and disassembling it?
    The easiest way is using a puller, as they do make them for trans to do that but are specialty tools and hard to find. Now when I say that, I'm talking about automotive stuff not specifically for a bert as I used them when I did auto at a dealership.

If your in a jam, I know several big racers that just knock a new one in and the new one just drives the old one inside. It can't go anywhere and hurt anything but obviously should make some noise. One guy told me if you pulled his trans there would be 3 or 4 of them in there. Now granted this was years ago when all we had was the short 5/6" yokes and wore bushing really fast due to this.

In short, maybe your best bet is to go to a larger trans place and see if they have the puller for a 350 turbo and see if they will pull it for you. I know those pullers aren't super common and may not even be made anymore.

Thanks billet. I’ve found the pullers online but they are pretty pricey. I’ll pull the tail shaft before I buy one. Just figured I’d ask incase someone had a trick to getting them out.

https://www.otctools.com/products/ex...ushing-remover

That may not be the right size but shows what they look like. Also possible O'Reilly has them for rent.

Besides O'Reilly's or a parts store that loans/rents tools, if you have a buddy that works at a larger dealership they will likely have one and might be able to use it to pull it for ya real quick. Doesn't have to be a Chevy dealer as ford has a trans with the same size bushing and that puller should work. Dodge, Toyota, etc may have one the same size too, so any buddies that work at any dealership, try them.

I have one , but I,m pretty sure that autozone rents them and if you by the bushing , turbo350 gm , from them , they will let you use it for free ,

I’ll stop and check. Thanks fastford.

I just replaced mine. I had used the ones from autozone, I think is where I got it. I made a puller like the ones being sold. When I inserted the tool it pushed the bushing out so I pulled the tail housing. I never noticed before but the old bushing had a parting line where it was rolled and formed. I order a timken bushing and seal kit off amazon
    and it is a solid pc., no parting line. Just thought I would pass on some info. I don't know if my homemade puller works or not. Ha

Just for info,I rebuild quite a few berts and at least 50% of the time the bushing needs honed bigger to get proper clearance. So what i'm saying is it has to be apart to hone anyways.