Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The tire rule they chose didn’t help anything either. 3 days days of hard and slick day racing basically on the softest tires anyone can run anymore, wonder why it rubbered up lol

Go back to 2 day format and won't have this problem. TT and heats Friday, B-Mains and feature Saturday. I know it wont be popular but its just too many laps on that track in 3 days. I know the track will never go for 2 days of gate revenue instead of 3 but its the best solution IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Black F View Post
    i dont get the complaining? a perfect locked down track. what more can you ask for?
    Ummm. How about quite a dang bit????
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Well one thing they could do is start a little later let that sun get down and don't hot lap Earle didnt let them hot lap on Saturday thar would help probably not enough but it would help.

i've been going to eldora since 1977. earl has been gone since i think about 2006. not all of his dreams or worlds were great either. since 2006, the cars have changed a lot and that has been discussed on this board a lot and that is probably part of the problem at eldora. big tracks do not race as well as they use to because of that. also because of the design of these cars, 100 lap races are getting less and less competitive. i think he changed the banking on the track to slow it down a little because of the the drivers who died. i've seen 3 different guys die, 2 late model and 1 sprint, while i was there.

Removing any banking is out of the question. The track doesn't hold up because they don't pattern track prep after a track like Cedar Lake. Taking the banking would not help the track hold up any at all. They would be spinning and sliding all the more throwing what little moisture they have off the track. The track does not have enough moisture in it, the proof of that is the cushion. Not enough loose clay to even throw up and make a decent cushion. It's now pretty difficult to hammer the high banks at Eldora without being hauled off by a wrecker.

The people doing the track prep are doing what they believe is the best for the track But I'm sorry to say that they don't or may not know how to do otherwise. Disking and grading to any depth and getting the track right seems to be something they are not up to.

A lot of old school knowledge has been replaced by rolling and sheepsfoot equipment. To just keep it simple and making the track so hard that it stays smooth. Something many a driver and owner prefers for their own reasons.

If the crowds keep showing up then they don't have any reason to change it appears.

I quit going 5 years ago after going 38 years in a row.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 06-11-2023 at 04:34 PM.

your right about earl not letting anyone hot lap on saturday. i think no one wanted to be in the first heat. the race world start and 10 cars would wreck in the 1st turn because the track was still slick.. i always wondered if earl thought that was funny.
    Last edited by lokwaidid; 06-11-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Eldora is the Yankee Stadium / Daytona of dirt racing….unless there’s some uncontrollable circumstances, the track surface should be pretty deluxe. It’s not like they don’t have the $$ to have the right people and equipment to do a good job. Or time for that matter. Eldora spills more money on the ground than FALS will ever have, and they some how , 99% of the time have a really super track to race on and watch a race.

Quote Originally Posted by lokwaidid View Post
    your right about earl not letting anyone hot lap on saturday. i think no one wanted to be in the first heat. the race world start and 10 cars would wreck in the 1st turn because the track was still slick.. i always wondered if earl thought that was funny.
    I have always wondered why Earl would let that senario happen year after year. Coming out and trying to race on a watered and rolled track that was too slick because it was not seasoned with some hot laps to throw off the mud that would not roll into the rock hard surface.

i think he changed the banking on the track to slow it down a little because of the the drivers who died.
    I don’t ever remember Earl changing the banking. Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t remember it. It must have been pre-1988 before I moved up North to Indiana.

lurker, i wasn't talking about earl changing the banking. tony changed the banking after he took over.

I would trade that new jumbo tron for a good race surface any day!

I was there all 3 nights ( actually 5)-my 29th Dream: the same Eldora expierence except the racing sucked. Single file restarts at Eldora : enough said. In Kokomo now hoping for better racing tomorrow. My first time here-so really don’t know what to expect???

The track hasn't been the same since Chad left.

I go to eldora for different reasons than most. Me and my old man have went every year since 90 to the world, and we never missed a dream. I lost him 3yrs ago next month to cancer. So I try my best to keep going in honor of him. The racing isn't the same, but I can't see myself ever quit being there because of him. He would be doing the same for me if I wasn't here.

Drop Shock,

They have been on 20s since the world in 2016. I still say Dennis Erb didn't win that World because he couldn't run a 30 on the rf. I am thinking at the time it was done because the 20 wasn't bad about laying rubber. I can't say, as I don't have a ton of experience with the lm and now nlmt stuff. The 30 will definitely lay rubber down.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

lurker, i wasn't talking about earl changing the banking. tony changed the banking after he took over.
    Copy that. From what I was told, the slowing down of the track, banking change, was made to satisfy NASCAR intentions as was the dryer slick smooth track conditions. That info came from a involved NASCAR contingency sponsor.

So two drivers win 7 out of the last 10 and it’s a track issue?

Yes last night was a freight train, but that’s the only one I remember in a long time!

ZERO25, I’d be saying the same thing if we had 10 out of 10 different winners. It’s mostly the track. And the racing is sub-par and suc's. zyoung25 is right, Chad made a difference. Its not hard to prep the track now with a sheepsfoot and little water.

In my opinion, the aero-crap wouldn’t be so obvious if the track was better and not so rubber’ed up. Put a good cushion up top and the aero-crap wouldn’t be as bad. Again, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Drop Shock,

They have been on 20s since the world in 2016. I still say Dennis Erb didn't win that World because he couldn't run a 30 on the rf. I am thinking at the time it was done because the 20 wasn't bad about laying rubber. I can't say, as I don't have a ton of experience with the lm and now nlmt stuff. The 30 will definitely lay rubber down.
    The NLMT 2 is closer to a 1300. They were on 30s last year and it never rubbered. They were on 2’s this year and 2 out of 3 nights rubbered up. Softer tires on a black track will take rubber faster than harder tires on a black track

I forgot about the tire shortage deal of last year and the 30s. That said, they have been on 20s most every race since 2016. Are you sure it didn't rubber last year? It seems like it always does anymore. I blame a lot of that on the cars.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1