Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's cars

Default Today's cars

Well we all talk about it. So what's everyones thoughts on why nothing is being changed or better yet what should be changed.

I get to go first. The rule makers in both series have to see what's going on. The racing on the fast tracks s*cks, you time we'll and win your heat and you pretty much can control the outcome of the race if you get into the corner first.

The bodies are out of control. The ears on the front to the dished interiors all designed to make sure you get as much clean air to that spoiler that sticks up 5' in the air.

The shocks, the RF happily roles around with its nose up in the air until that go pedal gets smashed. The LR it just pushes the corner up as high as it can reach again all for catching air. You get the common problem here. AIR, yet no rule makers see it.

My changes. H1ll this is easy, no ears, no RF tie down shock, straight decks from the air cleaner back to the spoilers and then take away that top wicker bill on the spoilers. Straight pc of lexan, no side pcs. You can have your LR shock, because if you can't catch the air it really won't matter.

Last one, taller driver side openings, I see these guys wiggle to get out of these cars all the time. You never want to see a guy in a situation such as Carson Macedo was in at knoxville, the fire, because if that would have been any class other than a sprint car the outcome may have been terrible.

And that brings me to the last one. Safety issues at racetracks. Lucas, WoO, get your heads out of your a**. Does anyone realize what liberals and lawyers would do if there was a situation where a driver could not be rescued in the event of a rollover and a fire. You keep hoping and keeping your fingers crossed, let's all see how that works out when tracks are locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Well we all talk about it. So what's everyones thoughts on why nothing is being changed or better yet what should be changed.

I get to go first. The rule makers in both series have to see what's going on. The racing on the fast tracks s*cks, you time we'll and win your heat and you pretty much can control the outcome of the race if you get into the corner first.

The bodies are out of control. The ears on the front to the dished interiors all designed to make sure you get as much clean air to that spoiler that sticks up 5' in the air.

The shocks, the RF happily roles around with its nose up in the air until that go pedal gets smashed. The LR it just pushes the corner up as high as it can reach again all for catching air. You get the common problem here. AIR, yet no rule makers see it.

My changes. H1ll this is easy, no ears, no RF tie down shock, straight decks from the air cleaner back to the spoilers and then take away that top wicker bill on the spoilers. Straight pc of lexan, no side pcs. You can have your LR shock, because if you can't catch the air it really won't matter.

Last one, taller driver side openings, I see these guys wiggle to get out of these cars all the time. You never want to see a guy in a situation such as Carson Macedo was in at knoxville, the fire, because if that would have been any class other than a sprint car the outcome may have been terrible.

And that brings me to the last one. Safety issues at racetracks. Lucas, WoO, get your heads out of your a**. Does anyone realize what liberals and lawyers would do if there was a situation where a driver could not be rescued in the event of a rollover and a fire. You keep hoping and keeping your fingers crossed, let's all see how that works out when tracks are locked up.
    Trying to police shocks is way too hard and not needed. Just put the bodies back 25 years and reduce the spoiler. The nose, decks, roof, and left side body made into a sideboard are the real problems. Next is the rr quarter used as a rudder.

Dirt late models are not supposed to have ticky tack suspension rules. They are supposed to have aero limiting rules.

Nobody wants to rock the boat. Even Randy Weaver likes his Eldora gig so he says "they have a good handle on the bodies now, there's not really anything that can be done". He says this on air with a straight face. I threw up.

Truth be told, the guys operating the big tours probably like it to be very difficult to operate a late model at a competitive level. As long as they get enough entrants for their shows, they like their regulars taking all the money.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-20-2023 at 07:23 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Well there is too much money in the sport for it too change now as long as you got this big money in the sport it's not going to change the local tracks can't afford to run supers now so if the money ever falls out then there will have to be big changes

$10000 dollar engine limit with claimer rules. Bodies can be woppy jaw however teams want them.

No spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    $10000 dollar engine limit with claimer rules. Bodies can be woppy jaw however teams want them.
    I've never seen an effective claim rule.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I've never seen an effective claim rule.
    It would be fun to see Super Man claim someone’s motor

Wink

^ That would be a sight to see ! ! ^

You can really dial it back by getting rid of the ridiculous bodies you see today. Especially on the 3/8 and bigger tracks. But they won’t do it, unless the fans just quit paying for Pay TV of races and buying tickets to park their butts in the stands. Stop the money flow, and you’ll see some serious scrambling. Until then, forget it.

we have this type of race car down here now , its called modified,s , there rules pretty much fit your requirements ....

Trying to police shocks is way too hard and not needed. Just put the bodies back 25 years and reduce the spoiler. The nose, decks, roof, and left side body made into a sideboard are the real problems. Next is the rr quarter used as a rudder.

Dirt late models are not supposed to have ticky tack suspension rules. They are supposed to have aero limiting rules.

Nobody wants to rock the boat. Even Randy Weaver likes his Eldora gig so he says "they have a good handle on the bodies now, there's not really anything that can be done". He says this on air with a straight face. I threw up.

Truth be told, the guys operating the big tours probably like it to be very difficult to operate a late model at a competitive level. As long as they get enough entrants for their shows, they like their regulars taking all the money.
    super late models are super late models , start restricting them more and your just creating another crate / spec class ....

Its rerally impossible to police. The days is coming soon that touring late models will be like NASCAR and locals will have their version. If the weekly driver was to keep up, they could never afford it. That is the only thing that could possibly save the sport, people can bury their head in the sand and think their is no problem. Or they only support national touring series and let weekly racing die its already beginning death.

There is no incentive to fix it! The corporate sponsors of the WOO, Lucal Oil, Eldora, Dirt on dirt and flo-racing are'nt going away. If you think TMac, Davenport , Oneal, or Thronton jr pay the same price for components as Feger, Drown, Schlenk or Dohm pays you fooling yourself. The system is set up to keep the top teams without competition. The other big elephant in the room, nobody wants to look atis. Top heavy purses are destroying the sport. What a joke, 129,000 to win and 25,000 for second, 7500 for seventh, and 6000 for tenth. Thats a joke, spread the wealth save the sport. 60,000 for 1st, 35,000 for 2nd, 25,000 for 3rd and pay thru the field better, set up a pirse like the Knoxville nationals sprint race. https://www.knoxvilleraceway.com/Eve...ille-nationals

weekly late model racing is almost dead. there are very few tracks with a regular show of super lates. sooooo.... where will the cars come from to make a lucas, woo, mars, ultra... 10k-15k show come from? lucas oil, shaffers oil, or any other sponsor has this in there advertising budget and it's probably just a small part. i doubt they really car. the chassis, frame builder, and engine builders you would think would get together to save this part of there business unless it's just a small part and not much of a loss. in another couple of years, do you think they will get enough cars for a regular lucus show for a consy at most tracks with the way things are going?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    super late models are super late models , start restricting them more and your just creating another crate / spec class ....
    We've had this discussion before and I think we are mainly on the same page. They definitely don't need all the stupid suspension rules they continue to dream up. A body that isn't as aero efficient is in no way making it a spec or even being untrue to the historical spirit of the class.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The unanswerable question is how do you reverse technology advances?

Not just in the chassis/body designs but the tools that allow the technical knowledge as well that didn't used to exist.
    You can't take anything from the 90's and stop the progression of technology. You can't unknow what's now known. What now known, will be applied somewhere, somehow, and then eventually you'll end up back where you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    The unanswerable question is how do you reverse technology advances?

Not just in the chassis/body designs but the tools that allow the technical knowledge as well that didn't used to exist.
    You can't take anything from the 90's and stop the progression of technology. You can't unknow what's now known. What now known, will be applied somewhere, somehow, and then eventually you'll end up back where you started.
    You can't. You sure as heck can enforce dimensions and geometry. Luckily, those are the real issues, but you wouldn't know it if you have been following the rule book.

Knowledge isn't the problem. The fact the car has droop isn't directly the problem either. The fact the car blows a huge hole in the air and that the cars depend on front downforce is the problem.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-21-2023 at 01:39 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Lightbulb

Does anyone realize what liberals and lawyers would do if there was a situation where a driver could not be rescued in the event of a rollover and a fire. You keep hoping and keeping your fingers crossed, let's all see how that works out when tracks are locked up.
    This already happened its how the genius rule makers came about imposing fire suppression and FULL containment seats. Just like big Gov they dont think, they react so it LOOKS like they are doing something. The Fire suppression deal I have no problem with, but when I pointed out to a series owner that his imposed full containment seat was a double hazard, first it nullifies any hope of escape out the right side. Second the design of full containment puts the drivers head in a confined space that promotes a "Ping-Pong" effect on rollovers and rough tracks. I know several drivers with concussion symptoms after racing on a rough service from their heads being ricocheted back and forth. When I pointed out how the seats trap you in the car in the event of a rollover/fire, he told me not to worry he had a blanket he was coming to get me with... So his logic was wait in the car while cooking, yeah no thanks Delmar.

Things can be improved without making Supers into mods, which really have the same issues, IMHO. Like has been said, put the bodies back like they were in 1995 and actually enforce the rules. We use to have a maximum body height rule from ground of 6 inches all the way around. If you can't bury the nose without ripping it off they'll make some setup changes. 1 spring/shock per wheel. I like the drop decks myself because it makes it easier to exit to the Right if needed. No jbars, RS panhard bar only. Front and rear wheel track must be withing 2 inches of each other. Quick and dirty but simple is always best in my book.
    Last edited by Henry Every; 06-21-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

You can't. You sure as heck can enforce dimensions and geometry. Luckily, those are the real issues, but you wouldn't know it if you have been following the rule book.

Knowledge isn't the problem. The fact the car has droop isn't directly the problem either. The fact the car blows a huge hole in the air and that the cars depend on front downforce is the problem.
    Thank you Mastersbuilt. Someone finally got it. I'm not saying we need mods or crates or even another class. Whats killing the racing is the bodies. It's trully to the point of if you get caught up in a minor bump and run and that front end gets torn up it changes the handling of the car. You see a super get into a corner hard and the hole drivers side of the car is lifting. If that deck was flat and had no way to catch the air I think you would see a big difference. OMG, that means you would actually have to drive the car.

Modern edge tech allows the cars to maximize every rule book spec as tested and approved of in shaker tables, jigs, wind tunnel testing, load testing, shock dynos, etc...All the high end expensive stuff. Pretty soon the guy who could afford the technology to discover the minute settings got a advantage even if its super small. Put enough small ones together and you get larger ones.

I repeat, you CANNOT un-know what is now known.

You cannot go backwards in knowledge. Even if ALL bodies were 1995 bodies and measured with lazers, or better yet, all built by one company to make sure they are all the same, then lazers used to make sure they all hung the same on the chassis the modern tech still allows all the other parts of the car to become the next advantage and the cycle continues on forever.

What goes up must come down......Dirt racing will fall eventually. I don't know when, but nothing can progress forever.

Oh wait....This exact thing happened to NASCAR and it's why it sucks on TV. It's gotten so technical it's out of the realm of what most people enjoy and can even be relayed on TV. everything is down to thousands of an inch and ounces of weight and 100ths of a pound. That doesn't relay well on a screen.

Money buys tech, tech provides knowledge, knowledge provides an advantage no matter how small and in a few years the money to find the advantage is out of reach for most. It's what we are seeing in all forms of sports but I think it's more apparent in small time dirt racing.