Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Pennsboro Speedway (W.V.) - Updates per XR's Barry Braun.

Pennsboro Speedway
    Pennsboro, West Virginia

Updates

Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

AHH, The MAGIC of PENNSBORO ! !

Wonder what that track is inside of the Speedway? A go kart track maybe?
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Wonder what that track is inside of the Speedway? A go kart track maybe?
    Yes it's a cart track, they have a big race this weekend with multiple divisions of carts and mini wedges. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091734041972

A go kart track that's taking up too much room and time for the big track...

I've only ever watched videos of races there, and every single one of them was a one lane around the bottom snoozefest.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    I've only ever watched videos of races there, and every single one of them was a one lane around the bottom snoozefest.
    The facility was even worse than the track. Definitely the worst “famous” track I’ve ever been to. But twice a year they offered up a huge purse, and that drew the best drivers in the country. So no matter how much you hated the track and the facility — whether you were a driver, owner or fan — you still showed up. I made the trip (5-hour drive from Lexington starting in 1987, a 30-minute drive from Parkersburg for a couple years in the early 90’s, and then the 5-hour drive again after moving back to Lexington) many times, up until they finally closed the place down. I never once left there feeling like I’d seen a good show. But I got to see a lot of star drivers I’d only otherwise read about in MAARN or seen at Eldora. And that was enough to keep bringing us back.

I place the chances of this happening somewhere between zero & zero. Maybe little less.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    I place the chances of this happening somewhere between zero & zero. Maybe little less.
    Willing to bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Willing to bet?
    Yes.

Barry has no money to finish the track. Dude’s in deep to alot of folks because of his XR super series. That doesn’t include the decades of him being an all-pro of skipping out on bills from people in the industry.

I don't know. I used to go to pennsboro and saw some good racing. Big Jim Dunn showed them all how to do it from dead last. They get the place open and they will come I guarantee you that much. My hopes are they keep the shape of the place the same, just get it wider thru 3 and 4. My fears are today's cars could make for terrible racing. WVMS was bad, to fast and aero was key. Pennsboro's shape made it a drivers track, key back then was keeping it as straight as possible thru that big sweeper 1 and 2.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Willing to bet?
    By the way you said that I’m guessing you know work has already started on the facility or have seen work being down there just recently.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

Hoosier, minimal work so far but the annual bash is coming up in two weeks. After it’s finished work is starting immediately. Track is being shortened, i believe they’re bringing turn 1-2 in a good ways and widening.

Thumbs up

Pennsboro

He!! Yeah

Love seeing historic old tracks come back to life. 👍
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

All it takes is one good WV frog strangler to wash it all away. It's in a valley known for flooding. With a creek running thru the track. Let that (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) place die. And I never missed a race from 81-9? Lived in Weston from 67-96. Little familiar with WV weather.

It's dead Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    All it takes is one good WV frog strangler to wash it all away. It's in a valley known for flooding. With a creek running thru the track. Let that (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) place die. And I never missed a race from 81-9? Lived in Weston from 67-96. Little familiar with WV weather.

It's dead Jim.
    You don’t know as much as you think you do.

I grew up 1.5 miles from the track. I still drive by it twice a day. Yes it has a creek in the infield. But it never touches the track or anything other than infield. The only time there was ever an issue is when a flood damaged an old bridge in early 00s. 65 plus years and 1 flood damage occurrence..

I’m sure the engineers they have are working on the new track/bridge are going to fix any issues you think may occur.

All I hear is how the place produces poor racing with no passing. This is the same track that Jim Dunn started last and passed the best in the sport to win? Yes/No ?
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    All I hear is how the place produces poor racing with no passing. This is the same track that Jim Dunn started last and passed the best in the sport to win? Yes/No ?
    Yes. One race. And that’s it. It was the very first DTWC feature, and it was long before aerodynamics became a factor. From my first time there in ‘87, to my last time there a decade and a half later, it was exactly what its reputation is. The whole story about the Jim Dunn win at the first DTWC is amazing. Probably the coolest and most improbable win in the history of the sport. But if the track that day was what it has been every other year, Jim Dunn doesn’t even make it to the feature.

It sucked every year I went.

Pennsboro32, I think KTMLew is trying squirm out of that bet 😂