Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Straight Axle - This suspension "technology" was so good it was instantly BANNED

The Straight Axle Story

This suspension "technology" was so good it was instantly BANNED

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGRb0...ature=youtu.be
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Shame it got banned. This dude is what innovation is all about. I wonder what his next design will be and how soon it will get banned. I say go radical, Oswego super mod style, humm.

Really cool video, thanks for sharing.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    The Straight Axle StoryThis suspension "technology" was so good it was instantly BANNEDhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGRb0...ature=youtu.be
    Good video. I think he would've been able to run that car a little longer had he been a little more humble/withholding whenever a mic and camera were in his face during those first couple of good runs. I don't think they were so much scared of the tech as they were offended by some of the things he said. But it's definitely cool when someone looks outside the box and hopefully he's found the right help for him to understand why it was fast and he can get back to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Good video. I think he would've been able to run that car a little longer had he been a little more humble/withholding whenever a mic and camera were in his face during those first couple of good runs. I don't think they were so much scared of the tech as they were offended by some of the things he said. But it's definitely cool when someone looks outside the box and hopefully he's found the right help for him to understand why it was fast and he can get back to that point.
    I agree to a point, but the guy in WV wouldn't have spent as much time and efforts on lobbying if he was simply offended.

He only does that when sales or parts inventory are at stake. You know, real dents in the pocket.

If it were my car, I d have told everyone how good of a driver I was and moved on.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I agree to a point, but the guy in WV wouldn't have spent as much time and efforts on lobbying if he was simply offended.

He only does that when sales or parts inventory are at stake. You know, real dents in the pocket.

If it were my car, I d have told everyone how good of a driver I was and moved on.
    Agree 1000%. The mountaineer may be the worst thing to happen to DLM since WoO started buying up tracks and series 20 years ago. Why is it not enough to have 70+% of the market? We need more independence and diversity in DLM, not less. They always point to Nascrap as their model, but somehow don't see that they are in decline. Evil always seeks to crush the light, we need more light.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Evil, lol…..
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Cool

I try to include a little drama in my post for entertainment purposes and depth. LOL
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Like most of us on the outside looking in (casual to superfan), I had not heard of this technology until I saw the video. My question to you guys (sorry Heather, if you're on this forum) on the inside is what were the "powers-that-be" in SLM racing afraid of? I heard AK mention parts cost in the video but I think he stated they woudn't cost much more, if any at all. And couldn't the dude in WV (and other chassis builders) just purchase more of those parts and resell them for a profit like he does everything else? Many other drivers would be slow to move to it, if ever, that shouldn't obsolete other front end parts they already had in stock. One of my takeaways from this thread though is that I agree with Jking24...for heaven's sake AK, if you find and advantage that elevates your program that much...keep your trap shut!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan25 View Post
    Like most of us on the outside looking in (casual to superfan), I had not heard of this technology until I saw the video. My question to you guys (sorry Heather, if you're on this forum) on the inside is what were the "powers-that-be" in SLM racing afraid of? I heard AK mention parts cost in the video but I think he stated they woudn't cost much more, if any at all. And couldn't the dude in WV (and other chassis builders) just purchase more of those parts and resell them for a profit like he does everything else? Many other drivers would be slow to move to it, if ever, that shouldn't obsolete other front end parts they already had in stock. One of my takeaways from this thread though is that I agree with Jking24...for heaven's sake AK, if you find and advantage that elevates your program that much...keep your trap shut!
    AK put together a couple of impressive performances, beating the best at the time. The powers do not like people coming out of nowhere and doing well, especially if it's being done a different way. He got the Rumley treatment before even having the Rumley success.

When a guy is building something himself, and not selling it, the big guys have no way to replicate it. If they can't replicate it, they think they cannot compete and know they cannot profit from the different approach.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 07-06-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    AK put together a couple of impressive performances, beating the best at the time. The powers do not like people coming out of nowhere and doing well, especially if it's being done a different way. He got the Rumley treatment before even having the Rumley success. When a guy is building something himself, and not selling it, the big guys have no way to replicate it. If they can't replicate it, they think they cannot compete and know they cannot profit from the different approach.
    Had not thought of it from that angle but that makes perfect sense. Figured I was missing something not mentioned but more important and now I see. Just adds another reason though to not go out and advertise what you've done after a couple of runs like he had. Then a makes a great video about the whole process (which I found very entertaining) and that he's working on some new things. Won't that just award him EXTRA scrutiny through any tech inspection at any track from now on?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan25 View Post
    You could buy all the axle, spindles, hubs and etc from behrents for less then what rocket lowers and upper arms and spindles cost. How do I know that, cause xxxxx (insert chassis manufacturer here) got a quote from them and was trying to use it as "see how much that stuff costs?"

It's not the cost of the parts, it's the time to figure it all out. If you where in a rush to make a beam car it was gonna cost you time and money to figure it out if you wanted to do it in a hurry. Austin took his time so was mostly out his time but if a company wanted to try and copy it they wasn't gonna take 2 years to do it.

You also have to remember it really didn't have anything to do with Austin saying the car was that good. Just think if a racer that was unknown to you or someone that didn't win many races all of a sudden got into a unusual/wierd car and won a race against Overton at that time, you wouldn't even consider that it was the talent of the driver but the car was a better piece then most.

Next thing people don't know, at that race at Cherokee. WoO tech had already gone over the car for and hour and a half, so they saw everything on the car including the axle. It 100% conformed to the rules as they was written. So other teams, while they didn't know the exacts of it, they knew it had a straight axle in the car. The part where Austin said they didn't like that cantilevers on the front coilovers and had to change them, that was caught a few weeks before at Cherokee during another series race. They tech'ed the car because someone from Lucas tech was watching the stream and thought the body looked funny and asked the Cherokee tech to inspect the body and that's when they looked the car over and knew the car had a straight axle. This was relayed to the Lucas oil tech guy. Needless to say, he was not welcome at a Lucas oil race as they flat said they wouldn't let it race even though it did not break any rules besides maybe the coilover cantilevers which said as vertical as possible which no cars are.

There is a ton more to this story, that I won't get into. All the drama started at the world finals and is a story in itself.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-06-2023 at 10:10 AM.

The driveshaft fan drive, with a one way bearing is crafty, really cool.

I hope this guy continues, and builds a new Car thats fast !!

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    The driveshaft fan drive, with a one way bearing is crafty, really cool.

I hope this guy continues, and builds a new Car thats fast !!
    He might, but he better pick the right race to win, because that's all he's getting. Then we have a bigger rule book again.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    You could buy all the axle, spindles, hubs and etc from behrents for less then what rocket lowers and upper arms and spindles cost. How do I know that, cause xxxxx (insert chassis manufacturer here) got a quote from them and was trying to use it as "see how much that stuff costs?"

It's not the cost of the parts, it's the time to figure it all out. If you where in a rush to make a beam car it was gonna cost you time and money to figure it out if you wanted to do it in a hurry. Austin took his time so was mostly out his time but if a company wanted to try and copy it they wasn't gonna take 2 years to do it.

You also have to remember it really didn't have anything to do with Austin saying the car was that good. Just think if a racer that was unknown to you or someone that didn't win many races all of a sudden got into a unusual/wierd car and won a race against Overton at that time, you wouldn't even consider that it was the talent of the driver but the car was a better piece then most.

Next thing people don't know, at that race at Cherokee. WoO tech had already gone over the car for and hour and a half, so they saw everything on the car including the axle. It 100% conformed to the rules as they was written. So other teams, while they didn't know the exacts of it, they knew it had a straight axle in the car. The part where Austin said they didn't like that cantilevers on the front coilovers and had to change them, that was caught a few weeks before at Cherokee during another series race. They tech'ed the car because someone from Lucas tech was watching the stream and thought the body looked funny and asked the Cherokee tech to inspect the body and that's when they looked the car over and knew the car had a straight axle. This was relayed to the Lucas oil tech guy. Needless to say, he was not welcome at a Lucas oil race as they flat said they wouldn't let it race even though it did not break any rules besides maybe the coilover cantilevers which said as vertical as possible which no cars are.

There is a ton more to this story, that I won't get into. All the drama started at the world finals and is a story in itself.
    They also stuck a camera under his front fender at the World Finals, showing there was no upper control arm. Shelton instructed the camera man to stick a camera under his car at the Dream this year.

Have they ever done that to an establishment guy?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

id like to hear an explanation why the rumley device was allowed and the straight axle was banned immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by chopter33 View Post
    id like to hear an explanation why the rumley device was allowed and the straight axle was banned immediately.
    they were both banned over the "off season" of the year following. i never wouldve imagine it wouldve taken that much work to stick a straight axle under a dlm. i really like the cantilever parts

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    they were both banned over the "off season" of the year following. i never wouldve imagine it wouldve taken that much work to stick a straight axle under a dlm. i really like the cantilever parts
    Yes and no. Lucas banned it before it showed up. Woo didn't until the off-season.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Great video. Really interesting stuff about figuring out the steering. I love this kind of info.

I watched and thought it was a great story. I don't think it was so much about the straight axle as it was the suspension and ability to eliminate bump and roll steer that scared the big fish