Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas Oil

"I highly doubt every car has the transponder mounted exactly the same distance from the tip of the nose."

For 0.002 seconds, the transponder must be PRECISELY the same distance from the nose. Even a fraction of an inch could account for that small amount of time separation. But back in the day when Adam & Eve sponsored the first dirt track race on Earth, there was an imaginary start/finish line at the flag stand. If the second feed of the scoring loop is not on that line, then the transponder ain't worth its weight!

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    "I highly doubt every car has the transponder mounted exactly the same distance from the tip of the nose."

For 0.002 seconds, the transponder must be PRECISELY the same distance from the nose. Even a fraction of an inch could account for that small amount of time separation. But back in the day when Adam & Eve sponsored the first dirt track race on Earth, there was an imaginary start/finish line at the flag stand. If the second feed of the scoring loop is not on that line, then the transponder ain't worth its weight!
    Well, you do the best you can. Eventually this was bound to happen, but they'll deal with it. Schwallie is a pro. They'll get it worked out. WoO probably will as well. I'm sure all the tracks are taking notes.

Let’s hope they do get it worked out. I’d think they’d be motivated to have a fool proof way to eliminate any disagreements, thus covering their own butts, and also eliminating the need for a bottle of Excedrin. Yes, the race was a dandy. I’m not sure the real winner was given the awards, but as long as they are moving to fix the issue, that’s all you can ask for. The 1 car was sure cordial about it and didn’t need a waaaambulance. Hats off to both of those drivers. This sport has gotten into stratosphere money to be able to participate in, so let’s please install a real finish line that everyone can see, and use the horse race method to make sure the true first car to the line gets the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Unfortunately Kid, that last sentence is now reality.
    Yes the electronic world has changed racing like everything else in this world.

At 100MPH .002 seconds is 3.52 inches. There ain't a transponder cable anywhere that's perfectly perpendicular to the track. They move around even if they were initially installed by a pro surveyor with high end precision GPS. Most of them are installed by eyeball and hand and NEVER re-installed or re-surveyed until they fail. Can't find the rule for F1, but NASCRAP reverts to a photo finish when its that close. And it's the nose. Horse/dog racing, Indy, pretty much all track and field athletics, etc. All Photo. Transponders DO lie, we've all seen it, it's rare, but it happens.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 07-11-2023 at 12:38 AM.

When will the flagman be replaced by a monkey is what I want to no ? Electronic this electronic that, horsesh*t. The guy that crosses under the checkered flag in front wins, period. Great finish to that race, the nose in front wins. That green, red and yellow light bulb can be activated by anyone.

I was at a race where the press box was directly behind the flagstand, this kid they had up there spent more time looking into the press box than watching what was going on on-track. He would literally watch behind him and wave the green when he was signaled to. By the way, this was at a woo slm event.

LIDAR. Hell, drone footage would do just fine.

So they can string a well identified wire, lights etc over wherever this imaginary plane they want to call the finish line is about 15 feet off the ground over the track, mount a camera at an angle to capture it from a Birds Eye view and use that as the finish line marker.

I’m great with the transponders calling just because I am….but if we need video proof to please folks string something like that up and announce at the meeting where it is in case there is a close call.

The series could probably bring something like that around with them, they could stuff the poles and wires into the same bag they have their victory lane banners etc…….again I’m good with the transponder call, but some aren’t and since there is no painted finish line on a dirt track stringing it from above would be cheap and fairly easy?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

They had a cone placed at the transponder line last night at Davenport.

Not sure what that accomplished but that is the first time I've seen the line marked at a track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They had a cone placed at the transponder line last night at Davenport.Not sure what that accomplished but that is the first time I've seen the line marked at a track.
    If Essex didn't point out the cone 100 times, good ole Lucas Oil Makin it appear they are proactive, I call bullsh*t, it was totally reactive. It's call covering there behind.

You start going by the nose and the noise pieces will get longer and longer.

Maybe they should try string.
    8/13/16

A laser light, Just like your garage door!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MEE View Post
    You start going by the nose and the noise pieces will get longer and longer.
    That's already a performance advantage if not checked.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Umpdirt1 View Post
    If Essex didn't point out the cone 100 times, good ole Lucas Oil Makin it appear they are proactive, I call bullsh*t, it was totally reactive. It's call covering there behind.
    I don't know why they would need to cover their behinds. What did they do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Maybe they should try string.
    lmao.............................................. ...............

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They had a cone placed at the transponder line last night at Davenport.

Not sure what that accomplished but that is the first time I've seen the line marked at a track.
    To make some fans happy

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I don't know why they would need to cover their behinds. What did they do wrong?
    Fail to properly address a close finish before it happened.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Didn’t this same thing happen at Florence a few years ago with Josh Rice and EPJ? I think it may have been the Latham race. Looked like Rice won but EPJ got the win.
    Scott Kleindorfer

Quote Originally Posted by Umpdirt1 View Post
    They're as proactive as NASA was before Challenger and Columbia exploded.