Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas Oil

LIDAR for the finish, transponders for timing/lap scoring. Transponders solve a bunch of problems for a traveling series, speeds the show up, don't need several people hand scoring each lap and trying to figure out who was where and how many laps down, its impartial as well, no home cookin' by the track supplied human scorers, just one series official paying attention to a laptop. At 80 MPH one millisecond is 1.408 inches of distance, so if the loop ain't perpendicular to the track or the transponders aren't in the exact same spot in relation to the nose, we'll continue to see questionable 'visual' results. Oh, and the loops don't stay put where they were first put, that dirt moves around over a period of time.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 07-09-2023 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    @BBQ - thanks man. I have a lot of respect for your opinion, so that means something.
    Say what you want about Don but he raised a dang good kid. Hudson is always polite and well mannered.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    So, if they determine the finish line is 3 feet before the flag stand would that be acceptable or does the finish line have to be directly in the middle of the flag stand.
    I guess they can put it in the center of turn 3, as long as it's marked and we are seeing if a car reaches it first. We shouldn't have to ask the man behind the curtain. It should be a visible result.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I've seen some tracks actually mark the wall where the transponder loop was originally installed, but that don't mean a couple years later it ain't moved towards the first turn in the middle of the track from soaking the track, farming, and laps. And it generally ain't right at the flagstand. So on the rare occasion of a photo finish we get a questionable visual.

Quote Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
    I've seen some tracks actually mark the wall where the transponder loop was originally installed, but that don't mean a couple years later it ain't moved towards the first turn in the middle of the track from soaking the track, farming, and laps. And it generally ain't right at the flagstand. So on the rare occasion of a photo finish we get a questionable visual.
    The one at Atomic is apparently crooked as hell, favoring the high line. I know that from bad experience.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

According to Rick Schwallie, transponders on both cars were located on the left front where the bumper and frame meet (series rule). The scoring loop is at the pole to the left of the flag stand. Story is on DoD

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    According to Rick Schwallie, transponders on both cars were located on the left front where the bumper and frame meet (series rule). The scoring loop is at the pole to the left of the flag stand. Story is on DoD
    Thanks for that info. I guess the problem for us here in fan land is that we don’t really know the official finish line spot, nor do the racers I’d bet. I still stand by my opinion on a camera and a marked official finish line. What if a transponder falls off or becomes inoperable during the race? I mean for the Lucas, WOO , you’d think they’d have a fool proof result system besides a transponder. LIDAR, as mentioned by another above. Like I said…some day something like this is going to happen at Jewel race and there’s going to be “scene”. All preventable.

Well, bottom line is if Hud hadn't banged the cushion out of two, or had blocked the slider early into three, he'd win.

Nerd math- At 100MPH .002 seconds is 3.52 inches. Exactly.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 07-09-2023 at 04:27 PM. Reason: BAD MATH DAY

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I guess they can put it in the center of turn 3, as long as it's marked and we are seeing if a car reaches it first. We shouldn't have to ask the man behind the curtain. It should be a visible result.
    Rulebook says you haven't "finished" the race until you cross under the checkered flag. If scoring loop is 10 foot before flag stand, transponder makes your actual position between the loop and flagstand irrelevant.

What I saw was Rocket1 "finished" (went under flag) 1st but 32 won the race?

I'm in full agreement with the guys saying needs to be a camera triggered say 18" before "finish line". And every race I've ever watched was over at the flagstand. Couldn't quote them because this site sucks. Not sure why It worked this time. Tried multiple times double clicking my ass off. Site software is ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Rulebook says you haven't "finished" the race until you cross under the checkered flag. If scoring loop is 10 foot before flag stand, transponder makes your actual position between the loop and flagstand irrelevant.

What I saw was Rocket1 "finished" (went under flag) 1st but 32 won the race?

I'm in full agreement with the guys saying needs to be a camera triggered say 18" before "finish line". And every race I've ever watched was over at the flagstand. Couldn't quote them because this site sucks. Not sure why It worked this time. Tried multiple times double clicking my ass off. Site software is ancient.
    You are correct in your assertion. This would mean 1 won the race. I was answering in response about how to at least make the outcome of the race transparent to a fan. Bad optics are bad for business.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    And that is NOT a critical measurement on the car, from the actual nose of the car. It's a general location.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Is that wire under the dirt 90 degree's to the flag stand. What if it's off say 10 degree's ? Your angle watching on tv then becomes suspect. I really doubt any racetrack is 90 degree across from top to bottom for the scoring loop.
    Last edited by dirtcrazy4u; 07-09-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    If that wire under the dirt 90 degree's to the flag stand. What if it's off say 10 degree's ? Your angle watching on tv then becomes suspect. I really doubt any racetrack is 90 degree across from top to bottom for the scoring loop.
    They've said scoring loop is on left side of flag stand. Camera view is angled slightly toward entrance of back straight. What I saw on Flo was, let's say 4 foot from "finish line", 32 was in lead/tied with Rocket1. AT flagstand Rocket1 was 30ish inches in lead, But race is "scored" at that 4 foot mark. 32 had 1/2" lead. <all numbers are completely made-up> Except the car numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Say what you want about Don but he raised a dang good kid. Hudson is always polite and well mannered.
    Indeed. And as long as he stays that way, he'll always be a winner.

I must be blind because I scanned the Lucas rulebook multiple times with no luck. But Schwalls says transponder is to be mounted left front corner where bumper meets frame. Series rule.
    Maybe they have a top secret rulebook.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I must be blind because I scanned the Lucas rulebook multiple times with no luck. But Schwalls says transponder is to be mounted left front corner where bumper meets frame. Series rule.
    Ha. It could be a deal where it’s covered in driver meeting. They need a definitive “photo finish” undisputed camera shot of a real finish line, marked somehow on a wall or brightly colored stick of some kind etc, or someday they are going to get themselves in a pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    There are tons of things that aren't in the rules that they enforce and other things they enforce that are done in a different manner or measurement that is written in the rule (especially body stuff). You basically have to go thru tech to find those things out.

lurker
    Personally, I think they should have awarded both with the win, and added up 1st place and 2nd place monies, then split it equally. I’ve seen tracks do this before.
    Short of that, it would have been cool if Bobby and Hud held up the flag together in the podium pics or they both stood on the top step. I didn't think of it until now, so I am sure it would have been tough to come up with on the spur of the moment, but that would have been the ultimate.

I can honestly say this decision is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen in DLM racing. This is beyond pathetic, and its even worse that people say its where the transponder line is. Why have a stupid start finish line? why have a checkered flag? Why lead us to believe the race ends at the flag stand? So I guess we will NEVER see a photo finish again, it doesn't matter what our eyes see, We are to trust the transponder results, use the transponders during the race, common sense says the winner is who crosses the start-finish line first.
    Last edited by play4kps; 07-10-2023 at 08:51 AM.