Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hometown Question

What do you think the etiquette should be for driver hometowns?

Is it where they are originally from or where they live now?

Is it up to the driver? Or should it be by registration?

Example: Chris Madden has lived in Gaffney, SC for like 16 years but they still announce him as Gray Court, SC. The 2 are about 60 miles apart.

Davenport has lived in the Belton, SC area for several years but they still announce him as Blairsville, GA.

However Ricky Thornton, Jr. is originally from Chandler, AZ but I have heard him announced as Adele, IA and Martinsville, IN which were the towns he lived in at the time.

Not looking to criticize ANY announcers or drivers. Just wondered what popular opinion / thought is.

Good to hear from you Kelley,
    Where the driver lives now would suit me.

Whatever the driver claims on his registration.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Back in the 80s I attended a couple of the NASCAR All American Challenge Series races. They had a great announcer with their series back then. As I recall the car owner and crew chief got announced as well, and for some of the drivers who had moved in their racing pursuits you'd hear "From,..(original hometown) by way of,...(current residence)". It sounded kinda neat at the time.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Is it where they are originally from or where they live now?
    Personally I prefer original hometown, where they were from. Example: Thomas Meseraull, San Jose California --- although he lives in Waveland, Indiana now.

I don't care where they say their from but, if I had to pick one it would be where they live now.

Shinnston, West Virginia. Every driver's hometown should be listed as Shinnston, West Virginia.

If I was a driver, I’d hail from parts unknown.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

How the driver has it listed on the registration……
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I might be in the minority, but I like to hear where the drivers live NOW, not where they were born or lived twenty years ago.

where you're from and where you live might be two different places. telling me where they are living now is keeping it accurate. not saying where they are from isn't more interesting.

Your home town is your home town, whether you’re a race car driver or a fan in the stands. That’s how I see it. Now if the question is current residence, that’s a different deal. I still shake my head when I hear Ricky Weiss from Tennessee. Or Ricky Thornton from whatever state he currently calls home. Tyler Erb from Ohio? It seems like racing is the only place I see this.

Quote Originally Posted by SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS View Post
    where you're from and where you live might be two different places. telling me where they are living now is keeping it accurate. not saying where they are from isn't more interesting.
    It only takes a couple more seconds to give hometown as well as current residence, if they’re different. Seems like a simple solution. Especially considering some of these announcers love to talk.

announcers are just background noise to me most of the time, not really paying them much attention. i would like to know where a driver is residing but no big deal. most fans already know more about the drivers then some of the rambling announcers.

Then when they make it to the big time and all move to the Moorseville NC area they revert back to being intro'ed from their original hometown. Kyle Larson, from Elk Grove CA. Kyle Busch, from Las Vegas NV, and so on.

However the driver wants it I guess.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

There actual home town

WOO 410 sprinter Bill Balog always lists his hometown as North Pole, Alaska. I don't know his bio background.

I see on the map that North Pole, Alaska is a town just southeast of Fairbanks.

Mitchell Raceway---Fairbanks, Alaska---most northern dirt track in the world
    ---will wonders never cease ? ---haha
    http://www.explorefairbanks.com/even...way-2023/7067/

I really don't care where there from. I would not want it broadcasted. I remember drivers would give fake names, some were really funny.