Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: north/south

Overall it was a great three day show. That said, the inverts were hot garbage. The track was way too fast for guys who had run well earlier in the weeks to make it through the invert, and it was just hold it to the firewall on the middle-bottom. The only heat worth watching was Heat 6. If Florence is going to continue using the invert they need to slow the track down come heat time. Otherwise it’ll encourage guys to sandbag the first couple days to get a front row starting spot.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Quote Originally Posted by ftfiowa View Post

batesville is next weekend
    Yep, and I'm thinking paybacks for lil bobby? Should be good! Smile

I've never been a fan of Bobby in the past, for many reasons involving the way he drove others (not dirty, just with very little respect for their equipment) and also because of the actions of his crew/family. However, I have always enjoyed the fact that he will put on a show and give you your moneys worth if he was out there. You can never count him out if there is a line up on the highside.

I was proud that something had seemed to click this year for him. I cant say I've watched every lap he has ran this year, but its been noticeable that he seems more patient, picks and chooses better of when to go, has learned to keep the rear deck on it, and not drive over others.
    However I was let down by him last night. Even when he had the fastest car with plenty of time left, he chose to take that line and make that move. Yes, technically they didn't touch.. but IMO he flat out ran him to the wall with a line that would never be taken unless that was the actual intent. Squeezing someone low to take away the bottom or changing your line to take away theirs is one thing.. diving in and running them to the wall is another.

You haven't heard guys like Mcdowell, Owens, Bloomquist, EPJ, etc.. have to stand in victory lane and apologize for driving others 'kinda dirty'. I guess that's what separates the really good from the greats. I'm conflicted because while it gets old hearing NASCAR drivers complain and cry when others are even near them creating very boring racing.. but I def don't like moves like that one.
    It is interesting to see how different a guy will drive one car vs. another though. I've said for years that for as great as JD is (and I'm kind of becoming a fan..) a lot of his 'wow' moments come due to others lifting, avoiding, and/ or choosing not to wreck. For instance his start last night in the heat race. Then as he drove through the field it was with little regard to those around him.. until he got to McDowell. He chose to slow down, get technical and race him very respectfully. I noticed several guys do that with McDowell actually. While he has earned that 'extra' respect, the point is he has earned it by racing EVERYONE that way.

I actually made a joke last night that I wonder if the 17m crew even brings body work tools with them to the track anymore.. or if they are just dusty on the shelf at home. I was told yes they do.. in case a crew guy scratches anything when unloading the car LOL.

I'm good with this poster ^^ but.... You're going to break a few hearts with all that truth about bobby's stupidity on the track last night, ya know it?

Quote Originally Posted by SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS View Post
    And if that happens he will deserve it. I will wait to see how he handles it when it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    And if that happens he will deserve it. I will wait to see how he handles it when it does happen.
    Oh, yea, ok. That's right. Sir Elite.

L some more.....

t3r3e3,

The invert made for a lot of passing in the feature. It didn't stop 32 and 20rt from reaching the front. It definitely added to the fan experience.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by 1forthe$ View Post
    I've never been a fan of Bobby in the past, for many reasons involving the way he drove others (not dirty, just with very little respect for their equipment) and also because of the actions of his crew/family. However, I have always enjoyed the fact that he will put on a show and give you your moneys worth if he was out there. You can never count him out if there is a line up on the highside.

I was proud that something had seemed to click this year for him. I cant say I've watched every lap he has ran this year, but its been noticeable that he seems more patient, picks and chooses better of when to go, has learned to keep the rear deck on it, and not drive over others.
    However I was let down by him last night. Even when he had the fastest car with plenty of time left, he chose to take that line and make that move. Yes, technically they didn't touch.. but IMO he flat out ran him to the wall with a line that would never be taken unless that was the actual intent. Squeezing someone low to take away the bottom or changing your line to take away theirs is one thing.. diving in and running them to the wall is another.

You haven't heard guys like Mcdowell, Owens, Bloomquist, EPJ, etc.. have to stand in victory lane and apologize for driving others 'kinda dirty'. I guess that's what separates the really good from the greats. I'm conflicted because while it gets old hearing NASCAR drivers complain and cry when others are even near them creating very boring racing.. but I def don't like moves like that one.
    It is interesting to see how different a guy will drive one car vs. another though. I've said for years that for as great as JD is (and I'm kind of becoming a fan..) a lot of his 'wow' moments come due to others lifting, avoiding, and/ or choosing not to wreck. For instance his start last night in the heat race. Then as he drove through the field it was with little regard to those around him.. until he got to McDowell. He chose to slow down, get technical and race him very respectfully. I noticed several guys do that with McDowell actually. While he has earned that 'extra' respect, the point is he has earned it by racing EVERYONE that way.

I actually made a joke last night that I wonder if the 17m crew even brings body work tools with them to the track anymore.. or if they are just dusty on the shelf at home. I was told yes they do.. in case a crew guy scratches anything when unloading the car LOL.
    You make some good points but, the only thing I disagree with is that a driver can only squeeze someone off the bottom but, can run them up the track. Bobby ran him up the track to get the spot back. Was it dirty Bobby even said so but, it's racing for 75,000. Dale Earnhardt made a living doing that and as the same as Bobby he had fans that loved him and fans that hated him. It's racing. Had he wrecked RTJ and took him out then that would be totally different.

I will also say that im probably more excited about The World 100 than I have been in many years. Im not expecting to spend hundreds of dollars just to see the JD show. It still may happen.. but its not just a foregone conclusion. Usually by this point in the year there is about 2 guys who are the clear cut favs.. but this year there are many who wouldnt surprise me. Rocket 1, 32, 20RT all on top right now. 49 looks good as of late, the B5 has been rolling decent lately, and did owens find something recently? 17m will be a threat until he stays at home and will the 76 be back to form?

Less than 4 weeks and we are gonna find out.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    t3r3e3,

The invert made for a lot of passing in the feature. It didn't stop 32 and 20rt from reaching the front. It definitely added to the fan experience.
    Agree 100%. Even Bobby was crying about the invert but, like you said it made for some great racing.

I will also say that im probably more excited about The World 100 than I have been in many years. Im not expecting to spend hundreds of dollars just to see the JD show. It still may happen.. but its not just a foregone conclusion. Usually by this point in the year there is about 2 guys who are the clear cut favs.. but this year there are many who wouldnt surprise me. Rocket 1, 32, 20RT all on top right now. 49 looks good as of late, the B5 has been rolling decent lately, and did owens find something recently? 17m will be a threat until he stays at home and will the 76 be back to form?

Less than 4 weeks and we are gonna find out.
    Jimmy was on his "A" game for sure! Looked dam good! Hope he carries this on to the World Hundred....

Quote Originally Posted by SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS View Post
    He has WoO at Davenport on the 24th listed as his next race on his schedule.

Kidrock your right i guess i should clarify that when i say squeezing them to the bottom i don't mean running them to the infield, i meant more setting up for the corner early where they cant get underneath you. Protecting your inside would have been more what i meant, i suppose. The difference being that you already have the spot and are changing your entry to protect it... Rather than advancing by messing someone up. For instance I like when sliders are thrown where the opposing driver has an opportunity to turn back underneath and cross them over. I don't like the sliders where they basically park on the nose of the other car.

The fact that you bring up Dale Sr is interesting. I had that same thought last night that Dale Sr made a legend of himself driving 'kinda dirty' to win... and I was a huge fan. The only thing I can rationalize about it is that I guess in NASCAR it was the only excitement alot of the times, and the only way to pass most of it... i guess, idk.

But all these young guys have way to much talent and great equipment to have to race that way. If it was a terrible track.. or hell maybe even the last lap it maybe would have a different feel. It just felt cheap to me who wasnt particularly a fan of anyone at the front. I just thought it was gonna come down to one hell of a finish and he cheated himself mostly the chance of greater respect from fans like me.. and of a potentially legendary tale of a north/south weekend. Ill remember it as when Bobby drove RTJ 'kinda dirty' to get the win.. instead of when he drove to the front of the field, had a fierce battle with Hudson, held off many challenges, and had to drive back by RTJ for the win. I suspect im not the only one who will remember it that way. Theres a reason theres always threads about Bobby driving on here.. and none about all the other guys. (excluding ZERO, but thats mostly about time management and weight issues haha)

Quote Originally Posted by IL LM Fan View Post
    He has WoO at Davenport on the 24th listed as his next race on his schedule.
    don't say anything to ftf Iowa. Shhhh ....

Kidrock your right i guess i should clarify that when i say squeezing them to the bottom i don't mean running them to the infield, i meant more setting up for the corner early where they cant get underneath you. Protecting your inside would have been more what i meant, i suppose. The difference being that you already have the spot and are changing your entry to protect it... Rather than advancing by messing someone up. For instance I like when sliders are thrown where the opposing driver has an opportunity to turn back underneath and cross them over. I don't like the sliders where they basically park on the nose of the other car.

The fact that you bring up Dale Sr is interesting. I had that same thought last night that Dale Sr made a legend of himself driving 'kinda dirty' to win... and I was a huge fan. The only thing I can rationalize about it is that I guess in NASCAR it was the only excitement alot of the times, and the only way to pass most of it... i guess, idk.

But all these young guys have way to much talent and great equipment to have to race that way. If it was a terrible track.. or hell maybe even the last lap it maybe would have a different feel. It just felt cheap to me who wasnt particularly a fan of anyone at the front. I just thought it was gonna come down to one hell of a finish and he cheated himself mostly the chance of greater respect from fans like me.. and of a potentially legendary tale of a north/south weekend. Ill remember it as when Bobby drove RTJ 'kinda dirty' to get the win.. instead of when he drove to the front of the field, had a fierce battle with Hudson, held off many challenges, and had to drive back by RTJ for the win. I suspect im not the only one who will remember it that way. Theres a reason theres always threads about Bobby driving on here.. and none about all the other guys. (excluding ZERO, but thats mostly about time management and weight issues haha)

I respect your opinion and agree most are going to think the same way. I mean Bobby even admitted he dirty him up to get by him. I believe he had the fastest car and was going to get by him but, it was going to take another slider to get that done. I can only imagine that bobby thought he needed to get by him quickly or he wasn't going to get it done. Oh well it was a very entertaining race.

This is good for the sport. Earnhardt had a lot to do with Nascar exploding it's fan base and half the people hated him and half loved him. He would have loved the way Bobby goes out there and parks in P-1

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    Landrum is my new hero.
    Lol, I bet he is. I had to chuckle a little at the looks of Turbot's car. That thing was beyond messed up. I was surprised that they let him continue.
    8/13/16

Kid, that $1,500 \ / $75,000 analogy was exactly what I was a thinking.
    8/13/16

I knew Randall Edwards was a great crew chief, but man this week was a huge testament to just how good he is and how much of a factor he was with Best Performance. Garrett Smith looked really good..and how bad Terbo has been this year, especially last night, says ALOT.

^he was a coming till he got Landrumed💣💥💭
    8/13/16

Banging the cushion, and selling t-shirts. Little Bobby reminds me of Tmez.