Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not sure what you guys expected. There's valuable information to be had there. People can't fix things that they don't know exist. That's why bringing engineers into the sporT, who knows nothing of the sport, aren't worth that much. There isn't another suspension in the world as mis used as the one under a dirt late model.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Race I watched last night sure had more cars 3-wheeling than I've seen in quite a while. Definitely some different stuff happening.

^^^that sentence has just as much information in it as the Flo thing did.

Any chance the piece Rumley presented in the interview wasn't the real/final part? He seems to be the master of red herrings...

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan25 View Post
    Any chance the piece Rumley presented in the interview wasn't the real/final part? He seems to be the master of red herrings...
    Be my guess. Whole lotta smoke show...Davenport didn't get slower after.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Be my guess. Whole lotta smoke show...Davenport didn't get slower after.
    Were you watching racing in 2016? He went from 0.4 sec faster than the field to flat struggling at times.

There's no reason to show a fake when nobody can follow what's going on
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 08-26-2023 at 04:38 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

He was watching from his playpen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS View Post
    That's not funny.. You left your Bib and passy at the house
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I'm a full-fledged Boomer. Just know BS when I hear it. He explained nothing. Cause nothing to explain. Smoke & mirrors. You can be sure there were 3-4 OTHER tricks happening then. He even mentioned it was part of a package of several things.

I lived thru dirt bikes transitioning from 4" of travel to 14". They eventually figured out anything over 12" was unmanageable. Too much chassis movement. Suzuki had the Full Floater rear suspension (shock was compressed from both ends), Kawasaki had a half-baked version of it which was a FALLING RATE which wasn't good. ATK had a chain drive set-up that eliminated chain torque from rear suspension. Great in the whoops but not so good when you tried to slow down or steer.

Bunch of this stuff has been done before on motorcycles. Most of it abandoned due to complexity.

I had no idea^ I am so impressed with you now! L

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    I'm a full-fledged Boomer. Just know BS when I hear it. He explained nothing. Cause nothing to explain. Smoke & mirrors. You can be sure there were 3-4 OTHER tricks happening then. He even mentioned it was part of a package of several things.

I lived thru dirt bikes transitioning from 4" of travel to 14". They eventually figured out anything over 12" was unmanageable. Too much chassis movement. Suzuki had the Full Floater rear suspension (shock was compressed from both ends), Kawasaki had a half-baked version of it which was a FALLING RATE which wasn't good. ATK had a chain drive set-up that eliminated chain torque from rear suspension. Great in the whoops but not so good when you tried to slow down or steer.

Bunch of this stuff has been done before on motorcycles. Most of it abandoned due to complexity.
    You are right 99% of the time. Not this time. When you race around on a maxed out suspension to catch air, it cannot act as a suspension to absorb bumps and smooth out tire loading. Then there's a bunch of other horrible things going on with the geometry. Rumley isn't a smoke and mirrors guy. Dirt late models are the only cars in the world that top out their suspension and then try to handle a surface. It's absolutely crazy and only makes sense because the aero load is more than what you lose from having no suspension.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 08-26-2023 at 07:15 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    There isn't another suspension in the world as mis used as the one under a dirt late model.
    Isn’t that the truth. Most people can’t fathom that truthfulness. So, if not, just move on. It’s not worth your time typing in my opinion. Now then, droop --- thanks for your in-depth explanation of that, I can’t thank you enough.

You are welcome Lurker.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I'm not sure what you guys expected. There's valuable information to be had there. People can't fix things that they don't know exist. That's why bringing engineers into the sporT, who knows nothing of the sport, aren't worth that much. There isn't another suspension in the world as mis used as the one under a dirt late model.
    talked and worked with an f-1 engineer was working on the frond end,
    2 things i learned,
    1 roll center who cares where it is, unless you want to copy what is working so you can duplicate
    2 if you take the computer out of the f-1, we have the most complicated race cars, by far

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    talked and worked with an f-1 engineer was working on the frond end,
    2 things i learned,
    1 roll center who cares where it is, unless you want to copy what is working so you can duplicate
    2 if you take the computer out of the f-1, we have the most complicated race cars, by far
    Any time cars become really aero dependent, the cost and complexity goes thru the roof. Aero is free when your competition doesn't have it. Once you all get it, it's really expensive.

It's not just the stress on the drive line due to the added load and grip. It's the complicated dance of balancing out using your suspension to be a suspension and using your suspension as an aero device.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Red face

I had no idea^ I am so impressed with you now! L
    He said he was a [full fledged BOOMER] not a full fledged BLOOMER ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    He said he was a [full fledged BOOMER] not a full fledged BLOOMER ! !
    Oh! Yeh, tee hee!!

Lightbulb

.... When you race around on a maxed out suspension to catch air, it cannot act as a suspension to absorb bumps and smooth out tire loading. Then there's a bunch of other horrible things going on with the geometry. Rumley isn't a smoke and mirrors guy. Dirt late models are the only cars in the world that top out their suspension and then try to handle a surface. It's absolutely crazy and only makes sense because the aero load is more than what you lose from having no suspension.
    Exactly! Thank you for saying what I've been thinking. Completely sick of hearing people say how, "sophisticated" they are. To me they are a collection of crude crutches propping up a sheet of plywood, nothing more. Whats even crazier is in 2016 they actually outlawed most of the components and designs that were sophisticated. Those who can, do. Those who can't, they write rules...
    Last edited by Henry Every; 08-29-2023 at 07:09 AM.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14