Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Kay Family done at Davenport as promoters. Because of Fairboard.

Just finished reading something Jeff Hoaker posted last night on Facebook and it appears that the Kay family is out as Davenport Speedway promoters because the county fair board supposedly won't renew their contract.

Screen shot of his post on Facebook from last night.

Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Hate that. So many times I've heard of Promoters getting hosed by track owners in one way or another. Best of luck going forward, maybe a different venue could benefit from their skills.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Thats a real shame more and more I hear of fair boards an promoters can't get along the fairbboard want the money but they don't want to spend any nashville and the fairgrounds speedway are going thru the same thing they raked in the money for 40 years or more and now they need to spend some 90 percent of fairboards are not good at managing rental property

Port royal was about ran into the ground before the guy running it now took over. Look it at it now

POSTED ON THE TRACK FACEBOOK PAGE AOUT AN HOUR AGO.

Davenport Speedway - K Promotions
    1h
    ·
    Yes, last night was the last race for K Promotions at the Davenport Speedway located on the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds. We can't thank Shawn Loter, Vicky Speth, and the entire Mississippi Valley Fair Board enough for giving us the opportunity four years ago. There were a lot of learning curves along the way and last night once again proved to us that national tours belong at the Davenport Speedway. We can't express enough gratitude towards the racers, the fans, Jeff and Penny Hoker, our family, and especially our staff for all of the support over the last four years to make Davenport Speedway a top racing destination in the country.

As the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds looks for their next promoter please show your support. We are sure they will be able to find someone that will step up and be a better and stronger promoter.
    Thank you to everyone who supported us.

Ricky and Brenda Kay
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

MORE INFO ON THIS ORDEAL.

Jenny Smith
    5h
    ·
    Ok I can’t take it anymore I have to tell the truth so you truly understand the Why!
    As I’m sure you have heard by now Ricky and Brenda Kay along with Jeff and Penny Hoker have walked away from promoting and sponsoring dirt track racing at Mississippi Valley Fairgounds.

Why you ask, let me tell you:
    First part of the season was awesome but somewhere down the line there was this officer named Rich (Alphabet) that started causing a lot of drama with the Kay’s. They took their concerns to Shawn Loter who in turn done nothing but stuck up for the good ole boys club. This officer as I refer to has short man syndrome, yep I said it. He was not the only one Brian and Daniel often added fuel to the fire by disrespecting the wishes of the promoters . When asked to let the staff please handle situations nope they had to come in and act big and bad because they wear a badge. (No disrespect to any officer reading this as I do respect the ones that protect us just not the ones that hurt us) In turn all they were asked to do was patrol the fences, watch the crowd and just be the eyes. That wasn’t good enough they kept pushing and again disrespecting the promoters wishes.

Let’s talk about greed:
    That is where your general manager comes in. Let me take and take from you but never offer anything in return. I hope you do know that the promoters only get the sales from admissions and pits. Let that sink in for just a moment. And yet they were expected to comp the MVF 30 tickets per racing event. INSANE!
    Keep in mind the promoters are spending their own money on gas for the equipment, their time for track preparations, wear and tear on their equipment, insurance for all in attendance plus many more behind the scenes expenses that most never think of.

Food vendors and campers that come in, the promoters never see a dime. The fair gets all that money. (Remember this for future) The promoters still have to patrol and make sure that everyone is doing the right thing because the security people said it’s not their job to look for people without wristbands and such.

GREED is evil and the MVF board will find this out soon after losing Ricky and Brenda and all the good (not to mention the money) that they brought into their facility. With that being said let me talk about Jeff and Penny Hoker and all of the wonderful things and sponsorship they brought in only for you to turn around and dump on them also. UNACCEPTABLE!

My last thing for today as I’m still feeling very somber is that I hope you and your little good ole boys club are proud of yourself for chasing away a great gig you had going.

My husband and I are truly sickened and saddened by your lack of respect in this matter.

Much love to all of our racing family and friends.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

^^^^ Its always the little guy! ! ^^^ The little runt suffers from Napolean Syndrome !! ^^^^

Dang I wonder what this means for our 2 day SLMR Special Sept. 22-23

Also, I thought I saw a FB post advertising another Open LM show Izzo/Kays were putting on at Davenport in Oct.

Racing is done at Davenport. Those 2 shows will not be happening there. Absolutely disgusting what’s happened.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Dang I wonder what this means for our 2 day SLMR Special Sept. 22-23

Also, I thought I saw a FB post advertising another Open LM show Izzo/Kays were putting on at Davenport in Oct.
    I saw that post by Izzo as well. Sunday, October 8th, 2023. DIRTcar Super Late Models $12,000 to win “Harvest Hustle” live on Flo Racing
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

well (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) that sucks.

I could see the SLMR show moving to Tipton

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Port royal was about ran into the ground before the guy running it now took over. Look it at it now
    Better than Eldora.
    8/13/16

the good old boys club want racing to be done all together at davenport im guessing probably a bunch of 9-5 pencil pushers

so who is the "good ole boys club"? is this the fairboard members? why would they spend the $$$$ to build the suites outside of turn 4 if they "want racing to be done altogether"?

i understand others thinking they want the whole pie and kicking the Kays out of promotions, this happens often enough. I dont think its right tho but i have no power either. If this is the end of super lm's in Davenport thats a shame imo.

i believe the suites are payed for by the people that use them, could be wrong in the case of davenport tho?, seen it happen to 2 tracks local to me tracks were doing great, but people get on fair board that couldnt give a rats a$$ about racing, now the tracks are gonebelieve me tracks CANT make it without sponsors period, i think you would be shocked by how much hoker and many others contribute to davenport and others

Sad for the Davenport promoters. Terre Haute is another track that the fair board and promoters can't get along. They ran Track Enterprises off, then another group tried for one year and they left. This year they had a whopping 3 USAC races. Remember when Farmer City did the same thing to Track Enterprises. Fairboards can definitely be evil to a promoter.

It is almost always a delicate relationship where a fairgrounds/fair board is involved with a race track, not just this one venue in particular.

A fair board will often be looking at what can improve their overall facility and the successful operation of the racing part of the facility gets them seeing dollar signs if the track is a successful venue. Where the track promotion group sees their success and wants to continue that and improve upon that with a cooperation of investments into the track facility because they see that as what is working and that is their focus.

The fair board sees good crowds, multiple shows, maybe special events and they think, oh great we can use the money the track is bringing in to (take your pick); fix up a barn, build a new building, build new bathrooms on the midway, lay some pavement down here and there, etc... If not managed correctly it can, and often does, lead to conflicts.

I have some experience in my community with our fair and fair board. We used to have a bad fair board. A real good ol' boys and girls club. They made money and they ran the place into the ground. Buildings were literally falling apart. They hired one of their buddies to be a groundskeeper, paid him thousands, bought him a new zero turn and he'd cut the grass once before the county fair. That was it. It was a suspicious miracle that after the county fair, members of the board had money in their pockets to take trips to places like Ireland. During the course of the year the old fair board would hold monthly meetings at supper clubs, treat themselves to a fancy meal and drinks - all on fair money. In the 90s when the fair had to buy some land to expand parking it was all well documented and deeds were properly recorded. Then a few years later when the husband and wife who ran the board were going to build a house in a corner of that land - voila, a land transfer was made and no notes were entered into the books and the Register of Deeds office shows a "zero" on the transfer price. Either the price was too low to record, or it was free. They were self dealing and it was easy when a lot of cash was coming in.

That did all change. Ultimately that old board got voted out and a new board came in. When the new board discovered how much money the fair was actually making - holy cow. Over the next few years buildings on the verge of condemnation were fixed and painted, some to the point they are now rented almost weekly for weddings and parties. Volunteers returned when they seen the place being fixed up. Utility hookups were added for campers. Just this last weekend a Bluegrass festival was hosted and the place was solid with tents and campers and it made money for the fairgrounds.

It has been several years of work to get it to where it is now but they still have their little battles they have to manage. There is no race track but there is a pulling track and that group will butt heads with the board, often times over money issues since they use that pulling track a few times during the year. There is a nice baseball/softball field and the booster club that puts on games and tournaments there often sees their group as the one that deserves a big piece of the pie. Time to butt heads again. Every individual group will get paternalistic about their part. It is human nature. But on the positive side there is no personal greed on this current board.

The long winded example I've given is to make a point. You need ethical people on those boards and everyone has to understand each others goals to make it work. They all have to be honest when it comes to the ledger and everyone has to understand the importance of how all aspects can work for the overall good of the facility when dealing with a fairgrounds.
    Last edited by Morgs153; 08-28-2023 at 05:46 PM.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Glad we don’t have fairgrounds with race tracks in my area they only use em for drunks to ride the Ferris wheel and for kids and rednecks to chase goats, sheep and greased pigs. Every once and awhile naw hell it’s every year some ol hillbilly as$ gal will get in the greased pig contest and a fight break out amongst some bumpkins trying to catch her but at least we ain’t got a fairboard to f*** up the entertainment for all the local hicks.

I'm not in the middle of anything going on at the fairgrounds, but will say that Ricky has shown real class with his statements so far. I'm a little familiar with some of the characters mentioned, and wouldn't be surprised to find some truth to rumors stated in this thread. I might get some inside info later this week, and will pass it on if confirmed.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs153 View Post
    It is almost always a delicate relationship where a fairgrounds/fair board is involved with a race track, not just this one venue in particular.A fair board will often be looking at what can improve their overall facility and the successful operation of the racing part of the facility gets them seeing dollar signs if the track is a successful venue. Where the track promotion group sees their success and wants to continue that and improve upon that with a cooperation of investments into the track facility because they see that as what is working and that is their focus.The fair board sees good crowds, multiple shows, maybe special events and they think, oh great we can use the money the track is bringing in to (take your pick); fix up a barn, build a new building, build new bathrooms on the midway, lay some pavement down here and there, etc... If not managed correctly it can, and often does, lead to conflicts.I have some experience in my community with our fair and fair board. We used to have a bad fair board. A real good ol' boys and girls club. They made money and they ran the place into the ground. Buildings were literally falling apart. They hired one of their buddies to be a groundskeeper, paid him thousands, bought him a new zero turn and he'd cut the grass once before the county fair. That was it. It was a suspicious miracle that after the county fair, members of the board had money in their pockets to take trips to places like Ireland. During the course of the year the old fair board would hold monthly meetings at supper clubs, treat themselves to a fancy meal and drinks - all on fair money. In the 90s when the fair had to buy some land to expand parking it was all well documented and deeds were properly recorded. Then a few years later when the husband and wife who ran the board were going to build a house in a corner of that land - voila, a land transfer was made and no notes were entered into the books and the Register of Deeds office shows a "zero" on the transfer price. Either the price was too low to record, or it was free. They were self dealing and it was easy when a lot of cash was coming in.That did all change. Ultimately that old board got voted out and a new board came in. When the new board discovered how much money the fair was actually making - holy cow. Over the next few years buildings on the verge of condemnation were fixed and painted, some to the point they are now rented almost weekly for weddings and parties. Volunteers returned when they seen the place being fixed up. Utility hookups were added for campers. Just this last weekend a Bluegrass festival was hosted and the place was solid with tents and campers and it made money for the fairgrounds.It has been several years of work to get it to where it is now but they still have their little battles they have to manage. There is no race track but there is a pulling track and that group will butt heads with the board, often times over money issues since they use that pulling track a few times during the year. There is a nice baseball/softball field and the booster club that puts on games and tournaments there often sees their group as the one that deserves a big piece of the pie. Time to butt heads again. Every individual group will get paternalistic about their part. It is human nature. But on the positive side there is no personal greed on this current board.The long winded example I've given is to make a point. You need ethical people on those boards and everyone has to understand each others goals to make it work. They all have to be honest when it comes to the ledger and everyone has to understand the importance of how all aspects can work for the overall good of the facility when dealing with a fairgrounds.
    This is so ' SPOT ON " that it needs to be sent to every race track that is being held hostage by a greedy and or demanding fair board