Default Carrying the LF and its effect on aero

I'm no scientist, but wouldn't carrying the LF through corners on a LM cause even greater downforce by having a larger wedge shape AND creating a vacuum of air under the left of the car that's no longer sealed to the track, therefore pulling the air down the side of the car rather than it going straight off?

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    I'm no scientist, but wouldn't carrying the LF through corners on a LM cause even greater downforce by having a larger wedge shape AND creating a vacuum of air under the left of the car that's no longer sealed to the track, therefore pulling the air down the side of the car rather than it going straight off?
    It lets more air under the car. That's bad. It causes lift. Now, with the yaw angle the cars have, it's not as big of an issue as it would be if the cars were straight.

It would in theory let more of that air out, that enters under the center and right.

A person would have to do some testing to be sure, now that I think about it.

Thing is, you can't test that in a wind tunnel. You can't turn the cars in the correct yaw position.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-21-2023 at 02:19 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It lets more air under the car. That's bad. It causes lift. Now, with the yaw angle the cars have, it's not as big of an issue as it would be if the cars were straight.It would in theory let more of that air out, that enters under the center and right. A person would have to do some testing to be sure, now that I think about it.Thing is, you can't test that in a wind tunnel. You can't turn the cars in the correct yaw position.
    But wouldn't the air getting under the car be on the left side only since the right side is sealed off to the track? In turn, it should redirect the air going across the top of the downward toward the track.

There is software out there that simulates computational fluid dynamics, but it's beyond a fan like myself.

But wouldn't the air getting under the car be on the left side only since the right side is sealed off to the track? In turn, it should redirect the air going across the top of the downward toward the track.
    If it's under a surface, it's almost guaranteed to cause lift. It may only lift the left, but that's lift.

If definitely doesn't seem to be as negative as air getting under the whole width of the car. You'd see that easily on the track.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-21-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

If it's under a surface, it's almost guaranteed to cause lift. It may only lift the left, but that's lift.If definitely doesn't seem to be as negative as air getting under the whole width of the car. You'd see that easily on the track.
    So is there a possibility that what's going on with RTJs car in the corners is deliberately changing the aero to do this or is it just a suspension thing you think?

So is there a possibility that what's going on with RTJs car in the corners is deliberately changing the aero to do this or is it just a suspension thing you think?
    They are doing it for a suspension/loading reason, it's just not fully aero

My son says it is easier to roll that wheel than to carry it......you can not deny that statement
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

If it's under a surface, it's almost guaranteed to cause lift. It may only lift the left, but that's lift.

If definitely doesn't seem to be as negative as air getting under the whole width of the car. You'd see that easily on the track.
    I saw what you did there on this thread!!!

Nice trick starting new paragraphs. Instead of making long sentences.

So nobody has to scroll to read your posts.

You even went back and edited a post before post#4.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 09-22-2023 at 04:17 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Carrying the left front was a byproduct of terrible front end geometry. The only way it would help aerodynamically is if the valance still made it down to the track.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    I saw what you did there on this thread!!!

Nice trick starting new paragraphs. Instead of making long sentences.

So nobody has to scroll to read your posts.

You even went back and edited a post before post#4.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, positive or negative.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

looks to me like a lot of stale/disturbed air in front of rear spoiler, at least on the surface of the decking.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    looks to me like a lot of stale/disturbed air in front of rear spoiler, at least on the surface of the decking.
    There was a fad a while ago about drilling holes in the blade where it meets the deck and how it supposedly picked up down force. I think someone went as far as to detach it 1/2" or so all the way across

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    agree. seems like bead rolls running toward the deck would streamline it a little better. very interesting

Any air under the car is going to create lift, my neighbor rebuilds motors for slm and crates. He has been with a top team when they had there car in a wind tunnel. He mentioned the key area on these bodies today starts at that elephant ear on the RF.