Thumbs up PCC Motorsports to scale back after DTWC Spencer Hughes looking for 24’ opportunities

PCC Motorsports to Scale Back After DTWC; Spencer Hughes Looking for 2024 Opportunities

(HOPE, INDIANA) Following a steady eleventh place performance in Saturday night’s annual ‘Pittsburgher’ at the sprawling Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, PCC Motorsports and driver Spencer Hughes have announced today that this season will be their last year together. Citing a sharp rise in operating expenses, owner Craig Sims has recently made the decision to scale back his racing operation following the completion of the upcoming ‘Dirt Track World Championship.’ The Hope, Indiana-based Super Late Model team still has two events left on their schedule in 2023 - the ‘Coors Light Fall Classic’ at Whynot Motorsports Park in Spencer’s hometown of Meridian, Mississippi on October 13-14 and the aforementioned $100,000 to win DTWC at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio on October 20-21, which will wrap up the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series slate of events.

“First off, I think of Spencer (Hughes) as a son and all of the guys that have worked on the car as part of our family,” quoted Craig Sims today via telephone. “It all comes down to the rising cost of our sport. It costs twice as much now as it did when we started this team three-and-a-half years ago with Hudson O’Neal driving the car. When it comes down to it, it just doesn’t make any financial sense anymore. Hopefully, everything works out for Spencer and he lands on his feet somewhere that can help him keep progressing in this sport. I greatly appreciate his dedication and talent behind the wheel, the hard work of each of our crew guys that we had this year and in the past, and of course all of our great sponsors. PCC Motorsports would definitely not have been possible without each one of our valued sponsors and our product supporters.”

Spencer piloted the #11 PCC Motorsports machine in seventy-six (76) different events so far in 2023 and racked up eight ( 8 ) Top Fives and twenty-nine (29) Top Tens throughout the year. In ultra-competitive Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series action, Spencer accumulated six (6) top five efforts and twenty-two (22) top ten performances, which currently puts him twelfth in the latest version of the national series point standings. The Meridian, Mississippi hotshoe has found victory lane twice in 2023 - both aboard different racecars at Whynot Motorsports Park, as he won in an Open Wheel Modified back on March 4 and in a 604 Crate Late Model on August 5.

“It’s disappointing, but when Craig (Sims) broke down the numbers and showed me the budget - I don’t blame him one bit,” said Hughes recently. “The costs have just skyrocketed and we didn’t have the type of season that we wanted to have, but that wasn’t from lack of effort I can promise you that. There were a lot of late nights and sleepless nights trying to put our heads together to find that extra speed, but we just couldn’t hit on anything. I’ll always think of Craig and Shannon (Sims) as family and can’t thank them enough for allowing me to live out my dream of racing full-time with the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series the past two years!”

With the announcement today that he will be without a ride for 2024, Spencer Hughes will be returning back home to Mississippi following the completion of the Dirt Track World Championship and is looking to put a program together for next season. If you are interested in supporting Spencer and his racing efforts in any way, please don’t hesitate to call or text at 601-692-8778. You can also email him at spencerhughesracing2911@gmail.com or follow him across all social media platforms. His website - located at www.SpencerHughesRacing.com - will be redesigned and updated with any breaking news leading into the 2024 campaign!

Media Contact: Ryan Delph - Delph Communications
    www.DelphCommunications.com

📸 Heath Lawson Photo
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Unfortunately, you need to win at least a few five figure races during a season to offset the costs. Wish Spencer luck in 2024. He is still a very young guy with a few years of National touring under his belt. I am sure Craig sees what Huddy has won this season, and then compared the amount of revenue his team was bringing in???
    Last edited by BTExpress; 10-02-2023 at 06:53 PM.

Yeah kinda seen this coming. No wins, hard to offset the costs. Wonder how much PCC cuts back and who they go after as a driver. If regional, Id take a look at Cody Mahoney, or even Jason Jameson, both from Indiana.
    Last edited by Hoosier_Dirt; 10-02-2023 at 04:40 PM.

I didn’t see this ride lasting nearly as long as it did. Hopefully he showed enough in the car to get another ride.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Spencer is one of the young guys that I saw potential in and hope he gets another good shot at the big time. If not there's certainly nothing wrong about being a good regional racer. Even that's more than a lot of us can ever hope for.

Racing's always been expensive.

I put Spencer in the same boat as Daulton Wilson. When you're competing against RTJ, Hudson, JD, and T Mac, winning couldn't be any tougher. Let's not forget, McCreadie has won 2 features this year and both were preliminary nights. Hughes and Wilson are both just a tick away from getting hot and picking up multiple wins.
    8/13/16

Big Perm is considerably better in my opinion and that team has less backing than PCC

Quote Originally Posted by noitall93w View Post
    Big Perm is considerably better in my opinion and that team has less backing than PCC
    They have plenty enough to buy a competitive car and been in the game a lot longer.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

If you're not in the top 3 every night you're not making money, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_the_kid View Post
    If you're not in the top 3 every night you're not making money, plain and simple.
    Yep, not to hard to figure out russ...

Bobby and RTJ have been making bank this year.

I heard Hughes was going to Will Herringtons old ride...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Bobby and RTJ have been making bank this year.
    That is for sure but they might have to set back down on the earth if old Bloomer guy goes on a roll this weekend ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    That is for sure but they might have to set back down on the earth if old Bloomer guy goes on a roll this weekend ! !
    Lets see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by JM15 View Post
    I heard Hughes was going to Will Herringtons old ride...
    I can see that, any word on where Herrington is going?