Default Set-up Procedure?

Watch this from 3:38 until? and tell me why this procedure is wrong. They do it same way, in same spot in shop, every time. Have a guy that comments on their vids and craps all over their effort all the time that says it's all wrong and they are too stupid to be racing. Guy complains about everything they do.

NOTHING suits him. I hope he's one of our "experts" cause I'm calling him OUT!

If this procedure doesn't work how the fark do you fix a car at the track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_R5YSu6Fg
    Last edited by KTMLew; 10-06-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Whoops...11:30 to ???.

Are you talking about setting the front end up in the air?

I personally don't do it that way, but I know many that do. I prefer to set it with the car on the ground like it will be when it's racing. In my experience I've gotten different results doing it in the air like they did vs doing it on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post

I personally don't do it that way, but I know many that do. I prefer to set it with the car on the ground like it will be when it's racing. In my experience I've gotten different results doing it in the air like they did vs doing it on the ground.
    You will get different results if the frame is not suspended at the correct angle with respect to the ground.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

"The carburator ain't carbing, the generator ain't genning, and the pistons ain't working either" Six Pack

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Have a guy that comments on their vids and craps all over their effort all the time that says it's all wrong and they are too stupid to be racing. Guy complains about everything they do.

NOTHING suits him. I hope he's one of our "experts" cause I'm calling him OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_R5YSu6Fg
    I wonder how that guys car runs?

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    "The carburator ain't carbing, the generator ain't genning, and the pistons ain't working either" Six Pack
    Ain't got no gas init.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You will get different results if the frame is not suspended at the correct angle with respect to the ground.
    Agreed. Which is what I told him. He claimed there is no way to measure "level"...

I'd think just doing it same way every time would/should/better give you same result. Only thing that that can be "off" is camber. If your air gauge goes wonky, and you don't know it, and you have 20psi in a tire you wanted 22...OH MY GOD THE SET_UP IS COMPLETELY WRONG! WE'LL NEVER EVEN GET IT IN THE TRAILER NOW!

The capital letters are what i'd guess would be his response and also sarcasm on my part.

It's DIRT racing. I find it hard to believe having 3.7 degrees of camber instead of 3.8 is gonna make you run dead last. And yes I'm exaggerating. I like doing that. Leaf springs. And 30weight oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post

Yes. If you do it on the ground, what tires do you use? Tire pressure? Stagger? Use set-up tires & wheels? Do you use a certain ride height? <some of this is an obvious troll>

Since the suspension angles are what's being measured, ONLY thing that matters is chassis is at X & Y angles. Don't matter if it's hanging from a rope attached to a sky hook. The builder is gonna give you a baseline. Then you add X amount of inches to make it work for your chassis stands. I'd bet most guys now DON'T use tires and wheels at all.

Set-up blocks and angle finder. Can do it on side of a mountain. Or you better be able to. But I also believe a super accurate set of scales are a waste of dollars now. Corner weights are irrelevant. Only thing you need to know is total weight so can get passed the scales.

Yes. If you do it on the ground, what tires do you use? Tire pressure? Stagger? Use set-up tires & wheels? Do you use a certain ride height? <some of this is an obvious troll>

Since the suspension angles are what's being measured, ONLY thing that matters is chassis is at X & Y angles. Don't matter if it's hanging from a rope attached to a sky hook. The builder is gonna give you a baseline. Then you add X amount of inches to make it work for your chassis stands. I'd bet most guys now DON'T use tires and wheels at all.

Set-up blocks and angle finder. Can do it on side of a mountain. Or you better be able to. But I also believe a super accurate set of scales are a waste of dollars now. Corner weights are irrelevant. Only thing you need to know is total weight so can get passed the scales.
    Sitting the frame "level" can have you off a degree or more. Guys are way more consistent on tire size. Ideally, you'd be ready to do it up or down on ground, to be prepared for any scenario.

Scales are not unnecessary. You still have front/rear bias and left/right bias to set. They will also tell you if something is bent, if all you do is smash and things suddenly changed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Just keep thinking that scales don't matter anymore........

I use my Hammond plates when I do it with the springs at ride height. But I will also remove the RF shock and lower the RF to 3.5" of travel while jacking the LR underslung to just when the chain gets tight and check my RF settings that way too (since I know what they should be there).

Weight %'s are still important and just setting shocks to a certain distance and load won't set the correct percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Sitting the frame "level" can have you off a degree or more. Guys are way more consistent on tire size. Ideally, you'd be ready to do it up or down on ground, to be prepared for any scenario.

Scales are not unnecessary. You still have front/rear bias and left/right bias to set. They will also tell you if something is bent, if all you do is smash and things suddenly changed.
    Reason for the " " was because I didn't mean level. Set chassis to whatever ANGLES the builder specs. Once. Get the readings. Then do it however you prefer and see what the readings are. WRITE IT DOWN. Repeatability.

As for the scales, sure at initial setup get weights. Once it's done, how often do you move weight around randomly without making note of it? Better be never.