Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Prayers for The Southern Gentlemen Freddy Smith.

From his don Jeff’s Facebook page.

Before I get started with this post, I am asking for everyone to PLEASE respect our privacy with what we are dealing with. My Dad needs prayers. Our family needs prayers. Dad is very ill...he is literally fighting for his life right now. We have kept this close because we are still processing all that's going on and coping with it. I just wanted people to hear it from us and not the rumor mill. We feel like it's time to share this with his fans and people that love him. He has been diagnosed with AML (leukemia). He has already had a round of chemo since we found this out 2-1/2 weeks ago. He is now battling pneumonia. I want to thank everyone for the prayers for my unspoken request a couple of weeks ago. That was for my Dad...my real life hero.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Sending prayers to Freddy. He's a good man and was one of the greatest drivers ever...

Sure sorry to hear such awful news. Wishing all the best to Freddy and family...as great a driver as he was, he was an even better gentleman and friend. He has been such a positive for racing, his family, his friends, his friends, and the entire racing community.

Thoughts and prayers .

Last edited by klemmabyna; 10-14-2023 at 06:58 PM.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thoughts and prayers for Freddy Smith and his family.

Very sad and sorry to read this. Freddy, Naomi, and Jeff are great folks. “The Southern Gentlemen” nickname is a perfect fit. Before during and after the races they would always talk to the fans and make you feel at home. I learned a lot about Freddy from Freddy’s number 2 fan, Leebo. Friendships were made easy with the Smith’s , down to earth folks. Prayers for Freddy and the entire family.

Freddie has passed… rip

Just letting everyone know that Dad has passed. Please continue to respect our privacy during this difficult time. It all happened really fast. We are happy to say that Dad gave his life to the Lord on the morning of October 3rd. We have peace in our hearts. We want to thank everyone for all of the prayers that have been sent up. Please continue to pray for peace and comfort for mom and the rest of our family.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

RIP Freddy .

Rip freddy #00

RIP Freddy, thanks for the great memories. Condolences to his family.

RIP....was truly a Southern Gentleman...godspeed #00

So sorry, rest in peace...

Another great has gone, gone to be with, The Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    .....We are happy to say that Dad gave his life to the Lord on the morning of October 3rd. We have peace in our hearts. .....
    The most important part of all.

I started watching him in the 70s, what a racer he was, and what a man. Thanks for the memories Freddy!

One of the best there ever was in dirt! Saw him for the first time in 1978 as a little crumb snatcher. Bought one of his pictures from the track photographer and still have it to this day. The red, white and blue #00 was always a top 5 at any NDRA race! Seen him win quite a few in quite a few racing eras. Good lord the Southern Gentleman is gone. Rest in Peace Freddy and thank you for the life you lived!! A true HERO!!!!
    Announcer: “Out on the track now in the B & D Boilers #00 from Kings Mountain, North Carolina Freddy Smiiiith!!!”
    When it's time to go, I'll go! Until then I got nothing to lose! -Roy Hall

Freddy was my racing hero. I remember going to Pennsboro/WVMS as a kid and seeing him there. Always was easy to talk to and took time to sign any shirt I may have had. Had a birthday cake with his race car on it when I was 7, we took a picture of it and showed him one race at wvms, he thought it was the coolest thing ever. He always recognized us.

The mayor of Pennsboro, the southern gentleman, a racing hero. 00

Thank you to Jeff and the Smith family for sharing Dad with us, we are all sorry for your loss man..….Rest in peace 00.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Awesome guy, never saw him without a smile on his face all those years. Fantastic driver but an even better better person. The DTWC was his race, 5 time winner I think. I hope they do something nice in his memory this weekend

I always enjoyed watching the 00, condolences to the smith family, RIP driver.