Thread: Wendell Wallace

Default Wendell Wallace

I saw he won a $10K IMCA Modified race at Batesville last night. I have only been following DLM racing closely for the last 5 or 6 years so excuse my question. Wasn't he one of the greats in Late Model racing back in the day? For those in the know, how long has it been since he drove a Dirt Late Model?
    Last edited by BTExpress; 10-15-2023 at 05:15 PM.

back in the havatampa days wendell was top 5. maybe a champion? not sure but may have been a teamate to dale mcdowell. he was, and apparently still is, a great racer. just another wheel man that had to adjust to the high costs of following a touring series.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thumbs up

Wendell was top 5 in the country during 1990's up thru about 2010 or so. Its my understanding he took over the family farm when his father could no longer handle it all. He was Dale McDowell's team mate for 1 or 2 seasons around the millennium. He was Billy Moyer's brother in-law for many years if I'm not mistaken. I know Dale got the HAT title, but I'm not sure if Wendell ever did. Had a running fued with Bloomquist mid 90's that got ugly on a few occasions. He won the Masters once, The DTWC once, The Show Me 100 3-Times, etc. It looks like he switched from following tours to an "Outlaw" style schedule around 2004. You can check his stats here. https://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/Wendell_Wallace
    Last edited by Henry Every; 10-15-2023 at 05:54 PM.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

He is yet another of the better late model drivers that couldn't afford to keep up with the Jones's

I'm sure he's ran a late model since, but the last ride I remember him having was probably at least 5-7 years ago or so when he attempted to run the GRT house car a few times, and I don't recall it running very well. I think that was not long before Joe died. I don't think GRT even builds new late models anymore but I could be wrong.

Wendell drove a great race Saturday. He lurked around the top 5 for 40 laps then poured it on after the fuel stop. His car was glued to the track, I didn't really see him turn the wheel to the right barely at all. He's still one of the best at driving a car straight. As for GRT, I talked with Stacy Taylor (who was always a dark horse at Batesville and West Plains), and he said they are still building mods and late models. Some guys by the last name of Wise bought it and moved it from Greenbriar to the Morrilton area.