Thread: Roger Dolan

Default Roger Dolan

Just heard the Roger Dolan has passed away. If you grew up in the midwest through the 70's-80's you knew who he was. Personally, I think he was the greatest late model dirt driver I ever met, both on and off the track. Always had time to coach a young racer and just unstoppable when he was in good equipment. Thank you Roger for showing me what smooth meant!

I remember that pink convertible he drove back in the 60’s. My mom was a big fan of his.

one of the best back when Iowa had so many great racers. RIP.

2017 Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame (from DoD):

Roger Dolan, Lisbon, Iowa
    The 1987 NASCAR Weekly Racing Series champion racked up 33 victories during on his best season of a career that included more than 400 victories. Dolan was also a seven-time winner on the NASCAR Busch All-Star Tour and captured the tour’s inaugural 1985 championship. More than 100 of his victories came in the famed No. 50 for Hall of Fame car owners Larry and Penny Eckrich, including two Miller 100 victories at Hawkeye Downs Speedway in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Other victories included the 1970 Freeport (Ill.) Invitational and the 1975 Illinois State Championship on the Springfield Mile. He was the All-Iowa points champion in 1985 and ’87 and won 11 track championships among five Iowa tracks: Hawkeye Downs, Farley, Dubuque, West Liberty and Eldon. The 80-year-old’s NASCAR Weekly title came at the age of 50.
    Last edited by klemmabyna; 10-19-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

R.I.P. Roger Dolan, one of the best ever, very smooth, smart driver.

Yes Roger was one of Iowa's best in the '70s and '80s. First time I saw him run was at Cresco, Iowa in 1975 where he swept twin late model features in the blue #51. Also watched him win two Miller 100s at Cedar Rapids in the flyin' 50. His son Ryan was a heck of a driver for many years as well. RIP Mr. Dolan.

Saw him at Quincy a few times years ago. I think he ran the Busch tour races there. Those were some great shows. Kosinski brothers and other travelers as well as what was at the time a great group of Quincy regulars. Namely Steve Fraise.

First racing shirt I ever owned was a Precision Performance Dolan shirt