Thread: What if?

Default What if?

The Lucas format was used in the WoO? And lets say Bobby didn't win the championship and finished 4th. Do you realize how many people on this site would be jumping for joy! I really don't understand why all of the angst. The team with the best record in Major League Baseball this year won't be in the World Series. You could be 16-0 in the NFL (the most popular sport in America) and not assured a spot in the Super Bowl. As a true fan (which most of us are), that race was much more intriguing to watch than what the we'll see in Charlotte in a couple of weeks. The champion is already crowned, so why even have the race? Why haven't the moaners and groaners realized that it's not all about them. The format was presented to the drivers prior to the season and there wasn't lack of drivers signing up racing all year for the big prize. Sure, I would have liked to see RTJ win the championship, but he has won more than $1,000,000 this year. Guess what.....I bet he'll run Lucas again next year!

Quote Originally Posted by oldasdirt View Post
    The Lucas format was used in the WoO? And lets say Bobby didn't win the championship and finished 4th. Do you realize how many people on this site would be jumping for joy! I really don't understand why all of the angst. The team with the best record in Major League Baseball this year won't be in the World Series. You could be 16-0 in the NFL (the most popular sport in America) and not assured a spot in the Super Bowl. As a true fan (which most of us are), that race was much more intriguing to watch than what the we'll see in Charlotte in a couple of weeks. The champion is already crowned, so why even have the race? Why haven't the moaners and groaners realized that it's not all about them. The format was presented to the drivers prior to the season and there wasn't lack of drivers signing up racing all year for the big prize. Sure, I would have liked to see RTJ win the championship, but he has won more than $1,000,000 this year. Guess what.....I bet he'll run Lucas again next year!
    Comparing racing to other sports is dumb IMO. When stick and ball sports eliminate teams, those teams are not on the field of play the rest of the season. Those stick and ball sports also do not have as many variables.... outside of human performance what can happen? Perhaps a bat breaks or a drone falls on a players head? One $hit tire from hoosier and you're done in this format.

As far as "why even have the race" BECAUSE THIS IS RACING, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ABOUT DUH!!
    Last edited by ImCryn2; 10-23-2023 at 08:21 AM.

^ Weather

Rain/Snow/Cold late season NFL can and almost always plays a deciding role in winners/losers.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    Comparing racing to other sports is dumb IMO. When stick and ball sports eliminate teams, those teams are not on the field of play the rest of the season. Those stick and ball sports also do not have as many variables.... outside of human performance what can happen? Perhaps a bat breaks or a drone falls on a players head? One $hit tire from hoosier and you're done in this format.As far as "why even have the race" BECAUSE THIS IS RACING, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ABOUT DUH!!
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    ^ Weather

Rain/Snow/Cold late season NFL can and almost always plays a deciding role in winners/losers.
    The teams are able to somewhat prepare for crap weather, these teams can't prepare for a part failure.

I don't like Pierce at all, but if WoO had a dumb format that called someone else the champion after his dominant season, I'd say it was a total joke as well. Racing is supposed to be about the event that day primarily & the points are just a season long accumulation to tell you who the best was. A playoff format doesn't make sense. It hasn't made sense for Nascar since day 1 & the massive decline in that audience since the early 2000's seems to indicate lots feel that same way.

The best points race ever was Nascar in 1992 when 5 guys had a chance in the last race of the year. Kulwicki ended up champion. It built over months of drama & that day was incredible. These fake, ginned up formats will never equal that kind of drama.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    I don't like Pierce at all, but if WoO had a dumb format that called someone else the champion after his dominant season, I'd say it was a total joke as well. Racing is supposed to be about the event that day primarily & the points are just a season long accumulation to tell you who the best was. A playoff format doesn't make sense. It hasn't made sense for Nascar since day 1 & the massive decline in that audience since the early 2000's seems to indicate lots feel that same way. The best points race ever was Nascar in 1992 when 5 guys had a chance in the last race of the year. Kulwicki ended up champion. It built over months of drama & that day was incredible. These fake, ginned up formats will never equal that kind of drama.
    " GIMMICK " racing, pure and simple ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    " GIMMICK " racing, pure and simple ! !
    Laugh my ass off! You beat all I've ever seen, you know it?<

Excuse me, I take that back. You ain't even close to being the hypocrite Terry m is... Laugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldasdirt View Post
    QUOTE=Raceready;2471723]Great post.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is but, in this story you'd be the one on here jumpin for joy instead of crying you eyes out like you've done since last night... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    Comparing racing to other sports is dumb IMO. When stick and ball sports eliminate teams, those teams are not on the field of play the rest of the season. Those stick and ball sports also do not have as many variables.... outside of human performance what can happen? Perhaps a bat breaks or a drone falls on a players head? One $hit tire from hoosier and you're done in this format. As far as "why even have the race" BECAUSE THIS IS RACING, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ABOUT DUH!!
    You obviously don't have a HUMBLE OPINION and yet turn around and trashes someone else's. Look, we don't have to see eye-to-eye. You might want to contact a Therapist to address these anger issues! You totally took my point out of context. The point is that the Lucas was much more entertaining due to the story lines within the race than what we'll see in a couple of weeks.