Thread: RF Bumpstops

Default RF Bumpstops

For those of you running bumps on RF...are you trying to get most of your load staying on the bump, using it to add some load at the end of travel, or just using as a soft travel limiter (bump stop as the name implies), or just not using at all.

Kinda splitting the difference, i am using the Load but lately have put more into the spring. We could never get the really soft RF spring deal to work, hit or miss at best.

I see more Cars not on bumps, back to the Spring only, which is wild because it was all bumps for awhile.

Seems like once i got a better understanding of the LR chain, i began to unwind the bump loads and adding more spring.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post

Seems like once i got a better understanding of the LR chain, i began to unwind the bump loads and adding more spring.
    id be curious to hear more thoughts on this.

we have kind of landed on two setups built around the LR/RF combos. One heavier spring set with less drop, and a lighter spring set with more drop. We kind of go back and forth as both work good but differently. I think our avg feature finish was around 4.5 this year so definitely running well but we were a 2nd place car too many times.

We tend to get tight on entry if we push the RF spring too much, but car has tons of drive this way. So knowing bumps are not the holy grail, it also seems like if we could pick up a little load there at the bottom we could kind of split our load. But i also dont want to add in something else.

we maybe need to be working on the other two corners rather than to keep chasing here

Whats your RR on? Bump?

You coasting in or on the fuel?

The LR once its on the chain, tight, all the angles and drive etc all bets are off. So i said I'll just jack all the angle in the bars i can, for a given droop. I like to drop the LR from ride about 4.5" to 5" and leave it. All that Lower bar angle can help add drive to the LR tire as well.

Also if you zero index the LR, it will sit down in the pits, the cage is going backwards, negative index in the last couple inches of travel.

All that bar angle gives it alot of leverage over the RF on the Climb, so the car can get up on the bars faster and easier. So then you can put more spring in and not worry about it coming up.

My thinking is there is a big difference between the LR pushing down the RF, or the RF shock holding down the RF with a crap ton of zero point and rebound. Its all good in the mud, but the slick is counter productive, to a degree.

Sounds like you need a little more Rear steer, stand that bottom bar on the LR up, add some angle. You can always counter steer to go straight, basically fork truck steering. These cars dont really turn by the front end anyway, they do but if you square that rearend up they will push like a dump truck.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 12-08-2023 at 02:58 PM.

Just say no...