Default The fall of Davenport Speedway

After all the bs with whatever happened at MVF last Fall, now we are back to no racing again at Davenport Speedway. Just pathetic whats happened. Had every series in country here, with others wanting to come. Now it just sits idle, again. I think this is a good time for me to have a clean break from the sport. Hopefully one day racing returns to the QC, but it won’t involve me as a fan. Time to find something else to do.

They have a new promoter! IMCA Stock Car racer Jeffery Struck.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Zero touring events…not interested in watching cautions. Sprint cars are coming, that’s cool. But after having every major sanction here last few years. Racing is dead at MVF.

Yes they had one of the best schedules for late model racing of all the tracks in the country. Did they lose money on these events or why would they kick them out?

Kay’s and Shawn(Fair GM) had a blowout and they both blame each other for what happened. At the end of the day we lost something real good here, with not much to fill void other than Maqouketa WoO show. Not much racing anywhere else either. Got a feeling this is one of the final blows for racing around here. Saw it happen first hand at Manzanita, Arizona Speedway, I-80, and now here at Davenport. Sad days for sure.

Support local racing if you want your tracks to live.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    Yes they had one of the best schedules for late model racing of all the tracks in the country. Did they lose money on these events or why would they kick them out?
    No doubt. They were right up there with Fairbury as far as specials in 2023.
    The Davenport deal is strange considering every track owner/promoter I've talked to say these special events are so profitable, they make or break your year. A very large percentage of their yearly profits come from those 1 or 2 specials be it a Lucas race or a he11 tour event.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That is exactly what I plan on doing. I may live 240 miles from the historic Davenport Speedway but I still plan on making 5 or so trips there in '24. And on many other Friday nights I'll be supporting my home track (15 minutes away) in Lansing, Minnesota. Very few specials of any kind are held at Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I don’t know if the majority of 4m users understand how true this statement is.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Follow up: streaming is a great new option. No idea how the revenue is divided. But a local track survived by butts in the seat and back gate money. If if you stay at home to watch an event live that could be seen on a replay instead of supporting your local track pretty soon you won’t have an option of where you get your racing fix. JMO
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Where I live, I have an abundance of track options, both dirt and asphalt for special events. Most every track that I can think of is a reasonable drive.

Weird enough --- I’d rather go to Gas City and Peru for a weekly show, than I would darken the doors of Eldora for any DLM race.

In order to supprt your local track though, you have to settle for little or no late models most of the weekends.

We turned into special event fans when area tracks started running big events and most weekends you could find one within 250 miles. Back around 1980.

Eldora, Tazewell, Florence, Brownstown, Tri-State, Portsmouth, Moler, Bardstown, Ponderosa, Atomic, Lawrenceburg, and even some that are closed now. Clay City, Ky, Barron County, Ky, Kentucky Lake, Paducah, Chandler, Danville, Il. Kamp or whatever it's called now, Charleton, In. Windy Hollow, Ky., McHenry Speedway, Ky.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    In order to supprt your local track though, you have to settle for little or no late models most of the weekends.We turned into special event fans when area tracks started running big events and most weekends you could find one within 250 miles. Back around 1980.Eldora, Tazewell, Florence, Brownstown, Tri-State, Portsmouth, Moler, Bardstown, Ponderosa, Atomic, Lawrenceburg, and even some that are closed now. Clay City, Ky, Barron County, Ky, Kentucky Lake, Paducah, Chandler, Danville, Il. Kamp or whatever it's called now, Charleton, In. Windy Hollow, Ky., McHenry Speedway, Ky.
    Thats quite the laundry list !

the High Limit show at Davenport is promoted by tony izzo, not Struck or the MVF. the weekly racing there(b4 Kay) was always a crap shoot because of the curfew and the fact the shows would drag on forever. the new promoter struck wants nothing to do with big races as he is not built that way. he just thinks weekly shows are where the $$$$ is and he'll soon find out thats incorrrect.
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

Be a very minimal racing year for me . See maybe 2 or 3 shows I’ll be going to. 2 of them are sprint car shows. lol. Open Late Model racing is non existent in Eastern Iowa.

Open late models and WoO at Maquoketa, MARS at East Moline, SummerNats at Davenport, Lucas Oil and MLRA at West Burlington, WoO at Independence, full MLRA schedule not posted yet. Even more not so far away in all directions. Maybe not dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PushinDad View Post
    Open late models and WoO at Maquoketa, MARS at East Moline, SummerNats at Davenport, Lucas Oil and MLRA at West Burlington, WoO at Independence, full MLRA schedule not posted yet. Even more not so far away in all directions. Maybe not dead yet?
    More like the opposite of dead.

Sorry to hear that Davenport Speedway has fallen. If only they had just built a wall to secure it!!!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!