Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd be public enemy number one on this circuit. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    They look great. Hope they can make it work, but I think we can cast enough negativity to kill it before it gets off the ground.
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked the wedges, and when they were the thing, the racing was some of the best ever, up front that is, as the budget guys didn't have the horsepower that these cars could handle.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

The POSSEE wedge cars in CA were scary fast. The one time they ran at our beloved and long gone Grass Valley D shaped red clay 1/4 Jim Tryon with a killer small block Ford machine broke the track's winged sprint car record. Jim was a very good out of towner and I was a local in a very low buck homebuilt 331 Chevy semi wedge car and wasn't very good in local competition so I sat that one out. One of the few times in 60+ years of competition I was glad to miss a race.

The sport is dying a slow death after Bob Memmer saved it once. Instead of this insanity we need another Bob Memmer.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Around 1983 (I was in my early teens) I got to sit in a meeting concerning the future of Late Models (meeting was at the Little Amana's just outside of Iowa City), funny how the same issues keep coming around. Wedge bodies, engine costs, tire costs etc.; a good group of sane individuals (Johnny Johnson and Dan (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ey led most of the group) helped save racing in the midwest at that time, wish we would see people pull together again. Part of the issue is everyone looks at the national level, maybe if each region would try and help mend their fences we could see some progress....

Besides all the exploitable holes in the rules, I shake my head of the wedge body and the fact an old Rayburn is not legal suspension.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

This looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    This looks fun.
    If you like 604 racing, it should be similar. Lots of grip no power
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    If you like 604 racing, it should be similar. Lots of grip no power
    Yeah I just read their engine rules. They also have a claim rule.

do we really need another class of cars? or is this like the retro series; that are sometimes added at tracks. more of an exhibition than a race? guess i don't understand where the demand is for another type of racecar, especially this.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    do we really need another class of cars? or is this like the retro series; that are sometimes added at tracks. more of an exhibition than a race? guess i don't understand where the demand is for another type of racecar, especially this.
    Blue ridge outlaw series is affiliated w this new series based out of State Road NC.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    I believe this is intended to be a 15ish race regional series.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The sport is dying a slow death after Bob Memmer saved it once. Instead of this insanity we need another Bob Memmer.
    flo told me the sport is healthier than ever

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I believe this is intended to be a 15ish race regional series.
    I think you mean 15ish regional series in the south that has 15ish races scheduled. My god we have soooooooooooooo many series down here.

Seems like the Blue Ridge group has it together with their regular Late Models so a guy doesn't have to have a millionaire's backing to run and have some fun. Looking at the Wedge rules it seems the same way. Back in the early '80s you didn't need 8 or 900 h.p. and $10- 15,000 shocks, Rumley devices, etc. A 4-500 horse engine, some Monroe or Gabriel shocks, a big pile of tin and a couple of humper tires would get you in the game without selling your home or firstborn. Keeping the working man hobby racer in action should be the goal of every local track.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Seems like the Blue Ridge group has it together with their regular Late Models so a guy doesn't have to have a millionaire's backing to run and have some fun. Looking at the Wedge rules it seems the same way. Back in the early '80s you didn't need 8 or 900 h.p. and $10- 15,000 shocks, Rumley devices, etc. A 4-500 horse engine, some Monroe or Gabriel shocks, a big pile of tin and a couple of humper tires would get you in the game without selling your home or firstborn. Keeping the working man hobby racer in action should be the goal of every local track.
    Sure seems like using the 5.3LS based engine is a step forward from crate? Only thing I'm always suspicious of is OE rods & pistons. I wouldn't care if they dictated X rod and piston just put something in there that run at reasonable RPM will last long as the air filter & cooling system keep it working. Good set of rods and pistons turned 68-7200 should last several seasons. Be down to keeping valvesprings fresh and no worries.

Could even go to TB style FI with wide-band o2's that's pretty cheap compared to some carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    A big pile of tin on a car with a 4 link, even with these rules, can handle a whole pile of engine. Especially once guys build cars specifically for this rules package. You can't unlearn tech. You can remove downforce.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Over4t,

If you are describing the "small body era" immediately after the wedge, I agree with you completely. Up until 2014/15 or so, you could still win at a lot of tracks with 600 hp
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Sure seems like using the 5.3LS based engine is a step forward from crate? Only thing I'm always suspicious of is OE rods & pistons. I wouldn't care if they dictated X rod and piston just put something in there that run at reasonable RPM will last long as the air filter & cooling system keep it working. Good set of rods and pistons turned 68-7200 should last several seasons. Be down to keeping valvesprings fresh and no worries.

Could even go to TB style FI with wide-band o2's that's pretty cheap compared to some carbs.
    The LS bottom ends are pretty stout and should be ok with the limitations of the engine package.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    It is a separate series that is run by the same people that have the Blue Ridge Outlaws.
    I see. Thank you. This should be good 👍