Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There is a lot of hatred on here towards a guy most have never met but that's 4m for ya.
    8/13/16

flat head , the problem with adjusting your price according to price of raw materials is when those prices go up , so does cost of product , BUT , when the price of raw materials go down , the price of the product does not , it happens in every thing from race cars to cost of eating out .....

Fastford
    You bring up a very good/true point. Thank you!

"Longhorn is not selling cars because of the price. Lol"

That's right. And if you don't like the way they do business, jump out there and manufacture a better car and you can fashion the price and presentation any way you like.

I wish it was that easy jog , but if your a small chassis builder and you do build a better product , if you cant afford to give a top driver or two free chassis , you will never get the exposure , been that way for quiet a while now , use to be if you built a chassis capable of winning and got a good shoe to put in it and they won just one big race , your phone would be ringing of the hook the next day , not any more , its considered just a fluke now ....jmo...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I thought this was going to be about the thru rod shocks
    What are these?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I wish it was that easy jog , but if your a small chassis builder and you do build a better product , if you cant afford to give a top driver or two free chassis , you will never get the exposure , been that way for quiet a while now , use to be if you built a chassis capable of winning and got a good shoe to put in it and they won just one big race , your phone would be ringing of the hook the next day , not any more , its considered just a fluke now ....jmo...
    Case in point.....Bloomquist and Warrior!

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    What are these?
    A shock that was deemed illegal years and years ago, but bilstein made the shock where basically it had a cover on the top of it so the shaft didn't get exposed out the top of the shock that a "thru rod" shock did. So they circumvented the rule to a degree if you want to call it that as the shaft didn't come out of the top of the shock any more (still did just covered up now).

Most people would say it was still a thru rod shock and others say they got around the wording of the rule thus legal until they define the wording of the rules better. So bilstein was allowed to run the shock last year until penske sort of brought it out in the open by making posts about releasing thier version of it, to make people talk about it and make a ruling on it, which lucas/WoO did and it's Illegal

That's the very short and condensed version, lol

Former crew guy

You are 100% correct about Warrior/Bloomquist- he put them on the map on the national scene for several years. The Goddard family sold the business 3-4 years ago to Mike who was their fabricator. Mostly building crates for local racers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    A shock that was deemed illegal years and years ago, but bilstein made the shock where basically it had a cover on the top of it so the shaft didn't get exposed out the top of the shock that a "thru rod" shock did. So they circumvented the rule to a degree if you want to call it that as the shaft didn't come out of the top of the shock any more (still did just covered up now).

Most people would say it was still a thru rod shock and others say they got around the wording of the rule thus legal until they define the wording of the rules better. So bilstein was allowed to run the shock last year until penske sort of brought it out in the open by making posts about releasing thier version of it, to make people talk about it and make a ruling on it, which lucas/WoO did and it's Illegal

That's the very short and condensed version, lol
    I feel like the only reason they released it to "sell" was because they have already moved on to the next mouse trap. They knew it was going to get banned. The comments I seen on social media from Bilstein was kind of comical to read.

This whole thread is about Longhorn not having the price of their chassis on their website and supposedly cutting deals with drivers/owners behind the curtain . . . ....a practice, apparently, that makes someone think they are not playing "fair". That person has too much time on his/her hands and should seek employment!

Well jog I respectfully disagree. Bloomquist put Warrior on the map. I would say he got a bare chassis or 2 for bringing as much business as he did to there doors. Horns are really good cars right now. In order to stay there and have teams share information which when it comes to winning that isn't going to last. Madden isn't sharing sh*t. My friend and neighbor must be a pretty good tuner because he will be in the pits of 3 slm teams this weekend at Golden isles. Remember that old saying, it's not what you think you know but who you do know thats right in the middle of it all. I'll be leaving for GI tomorrow and hope to see if his hands are getting dirty.

I hope Longhorn can survive, stopped by the other day and the parking lot is starting to come apart from all the haulers picking up new cars...In the end, the sport always comes down to three things (and a fourth is coming more into play than ever)-Driver, Car, Engine (the fourth being Crew Chief). Engines are making so much power you no longer hear that card being played much, most teams the driver is the last excuse, so that leaves the car. People are running straight to Longhorn to solve the problem because of the success they have shown, trust me when I say it will come back around. When the guy who finished 15th in the Rocket still finishes 15th in the Longhorn, what is next? At the end of the day, congrats to Longhorn on the success and enjoy while you can (great people and along with Barry Wright some of the fairest you will deal with).

Right from the get-go, you left out SHOCKS. Their consideration lately seems to outweigh the four things you suggested. I'm still trying to imagine 500+ CI small block engines!

I don't know if Chris Madden has ever "shared" information since he became a driver and not Barry Wright's setup man. If one is making a living racing, it seems foolish to share anything as it gives your fellow competitors an advantage to, possibly, beating you. That said, I don't know if I would share information either.
    As to Longhorn though, there are drivers/teams sharing information and Kevin Rumley is seen at all the races fine tuning the cars for multiple drivers.
    Bottom line, if one wants to know the price of a chassis, call them! You don't need Congressional approval.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Right from the get-go, you left out SHOCKS. Their consideration lately seems to outweigh the four things you suggested. I'm still trying to imagine 500+ CI small block engines!
    Vastly overrated waste of resources
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

FWIW:
    Madden uses Penske shocks instead of Bilstein who Rumley is associated with. Most of the Longhorn teams are using Bilsteins. Brandon Overton does not- but rumors floating about his future with Longhorn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Shocks can be another excuse, but I probably unfairly put that in with car (or maybe even the crew chief addition). Haven't been around the 500+CI, but have the 460-480 range. They have enough horsepower that manufacturer doesn't make that much difference besides maybe on the dependability and or customer service side....On the original topic, Longhorn has every right to 'give deals' to anyone they wish; a smart business man makes his product so that everyone wants it and prices it so they make that choice- just as it appears they have done.

Question:
    Are most major engine builders about the same in price??

I know many years ago when Ford first started in the late models-Larry Clark ( Custom Race Engines) told me that you could get more horsepower out of a Ford but it cost a lot more money to do.