Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Question:
    Are most major engine builders about the same in price??
    Yes, for the most part. It does vary on what brand of motor your talking about or what style of motor.

Last I knew a new chevy from Clemens is 55K

^^ Thank you sir.

Longhorn bodies are the goofiest, most twisted up and crooked messes out all the manufacturers. Every car in the pits is technically illegal if you teched em to the letter of the rulebook, but Longhorns are laughably out of the spirit of the rules.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

^^^ probably a result of wind tunnel testing.

I know many years ago when Ford first started in the late models-Larry Clark ( Custom Race Engines) told me that you could get more horsepower out of a Ford but it cost a lot more money to do.
    Ford had a far superior head design at the time. Chevrolet has caught up some, hell they really are not 'Chevy or Ford' anymore. Big numbers out of both (horsepower and CI), when Yates and Childress decided to go short track racing it definitely changed the game. I don't think the price difference is nearly what it was (and neither is the difference in power).

^^^ probably a result of wind tunnel testing.
    I’m sure. I’d bet a Rocket has seen a wind tunnel at some point too, but they aren’t nearly as garish.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Fun fact. A dirt late model will not fit into a wind tunnel at the correct yaw.

But a lot of folks who buy fully assembled cars have paid to get in there and play around with hood pin orientation or something.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 01-25-2024 at 03:02 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I know many years ago when Ford first started in the late models-Larry Clark ( Custom Race Engines) told me that you could get more horsepower out of a Ford but it cost a lot more money to do.
    I was thinking that was Larry Wallace , could be wrong though .....

Larry Clark owned Custom Race Engines and was in the same Building with Warrior Race Cars. Part of the Goddard Construction Facility located on John Sevier Hwy. outside of Knoxville. Larry tried retiring several times to the beach but had to return to help his son in the business. It if now fulling closed and no longer operating.

Interesting fact on Larry: he lived in the Charlotte area and paid his way thru graduate college working in an engine shop of a NASCAR team. He enrolled in law school at the University of Tennessee and continued building/working on engines to pay for his education.
    He graduated law school-passed the bar- and got his law license but did not practice law 1 single day because his race engine business was booming!
    Just thought I would share that- hopefully someone finds it interesting?

Larry Wallace was the head engine man at Penske racing before starting his own engine shop building dirt late model engines.

Yates and Wallace did share some things back and forth. Yates also sold quite a bit of his used stuff through another builder (can't believe I am missing the name); did a lot of stuff for Carlton Lamb back then. I remember Carlton asking Yates what he could do about getting beat off the corner, Yates told him to put more gear in it. Carlton said something like 'it's already turning over 8,500', Robert replied 'I didn't ask what you where turning it, if you need more off the corner give it gear until you outrun them'.

I believe that used to be true, but not so much anymore. They're all expensive aftermarket pieces now, only 'based' on one manufacturer or another.

...Just thought I would share that- hopefully someone finds it interesting?
    i could read stuff like you guys are adding here all day.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

I,m getting a bit confused in my old age , lol , I guess I had yates on my mind because I met larry wallace sveral times at there place in Mooresville , I knew who larry clark was , just a brain fart I guess......thanks for helping me out fox .....

Fastford
    No problem- I’m old too!
    But heck -we’re still alive and kicking & that’s awesome within itself!

Being there last night I just have 1 question. Where are the rule makers ? If you haven't seen how much the horn bodies are all twisted up. Unbelievable ... I'll say it, this is going to be the biggest talked about story all year.

Engines are what they are. Anyone that has a modern engine from one of the main builders is competitive. Obviously when it gets slick, power curves matter. But the power is there with anyone.

The twisted Longhorn bodies did not appear to work better than the Ford powered Rocket chassis of Hudson Oneal. Hudson started off the 2024 season by winning two features in Florida . The Longhorn racers may be going down the wrong path with the twisted bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    The twisted Longhorn bodies did not appear to work better than the Ford powered Rocket chassis of Hudson Oneal. Hudson started off the 2024 season by winning two features in Florida . The Longhorn racers may be going down the wrong path with the twisted bodies.
    Well In the commercial on DoD Eddie Carrier Jr does say they would be back.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I was thinking that was Larry Wallace , could be wrong though .....
    Loved the sound of that thing when it rolled by……that lw dodge beast had a certain “quiet roar” about it.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????