Thumbs up What’s everyone’s thoughts on entry fees for higher paying races?

Seen a local crate racer here in my region ask this particular question on Facebook and got a bunch of responses.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on entry fees for higher paying races (Any Division)?

How much does it need to pay to win / start to feel an entry fee is fair?

Examples
    Crates: $10K-$20K+ win / $75-$150+ Entry Fee
    Mods: $10K-$20K+ win / $100-$150+ Entry Fee
    Sprints: $5K-$30K+ win / $50-$200+ Entry Fee
    Super LM: $5K-$30K+ win / $50-$20+ Entry Fee
    Stock Cars: $5K-$20K+ win / $50-$150+ Entry Fee
    4 Cylinders: $5K+ win / $50+ Entry Fee

Entry Fee adjusted based on Payout and the likely hood of attracting cars and fans for that particular payout for any particular division. Fans and or Drivers shouldn't have to bear the full brunt of the cost for show. It's helps when sponsors are willing to help with the cost.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

As one who has raced in mostly a middling division, currently Pro/Super Stocks, for most of my 60+ year involvement I have always and will always be dead against entry fees for the higher paying races. Jacking up even the pit fees a few bucks is barely acceptable so that a track or organization can act like they're doing a big thing for the racer and fans.

Probably 95% of the teams lose even more bucks than usual at these events. Longer races, more and better tires and equipment, bigger fuel bills, often 2 nights instead of one at the track and on and on. If a few more bucks for more fans and some more from an event's title sponsor aren't enough to cover the nut then don't have it. Racers are stupid to support some of these shows and are just asking for their year's budget to be depleted even earlier than normal.

I say if its $15,000 to win and $1,000 to start or more you can have a $100 entry fee but let the driver in Free.

Has anyone ever been told what an entry fee pays for? Or what that money is supposed to go towards? I ask because, I assume the answer would be something like "registration" which usually takes one person about 2 minutes or so (especially with on-line registration being a popular thing nowadays). So with that in mind, these track workers are apparently getting paid "really well" or they're just taking my money.

My favorite is when they charge an entry fee that is right at what non-transfer money is...like I'm too dumb to realize I just raced for free.

If you plan to race with these series down south (comp Cams, HTF, MSCCS) you better have a $100 bill with ya. There is always an entry fee down here. Even for a 2k to win race.

There are no other spectator sports where the performers have to pay to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    There's not?

Ever been to a rodeo? Particularly on the amateur level.

What about a drag race? Tech Cards?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I would assume it might keep some of the guys that have no chance of making the feature and who spin out a lot from entering.

That probably has nothing to do with it, but from a spectators point of view, it is not a bad thing.

As far as dirt oval racing is concerned, I have always though the driver should get in free since he/she is the entertainment in an entertainment industry. There should be no entry fee for the race car either as it is also part of the entertainment. Everybody else pays.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Has anyone ever been told what an entry fee pays for? Or what that money is supposed to go towards? I ask because, I assume the answer would be something like "registration" which usually takes one person about 2 minutes or so (especially with on-line registration being a popular thing nowadays). So with that in mind, these track workers are apparently getting paid "really well" or they're just taking my money.My favorite is when they charge an entry fee that is right at what non-transfer money is...like I'm too dumb to realize I just raced for free.
    Alot of times if the race is sanctioned or run by a particular traveling series the series or sanction gets the entry fee and the track covers the purse. The bottom line for me is if your gonna have a entry fee for a big race the start money better be more than the normal start money and entry fee combined

There are all ready Entry Fee's, there just disguised as Pit Passes, and Sanction Fee's

Lucas / Woo, Flo Racing, Dirt on Dirt, all the Race Tracks, Promotors are all a "For Profit" Buisness models. Why on Earth would you want to subsidize there profits?

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    thats not true at all lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    There are all ready Entry Fee's, there just disguised as Pit Passes, and Sanction Fee'sLucas / Woo, Flo Racing, Dirt on Dirt, all the Race Tracks, Promotors are all a "For Profit" Buisness models. Why on Earth would you want to subsidize there profits?
    Why on Earth? Because I would like a place to race.... No shame in them making money, why on earth would they not want to make a profit? Up to each racer to decide if the 'risk' (paying to enter event) is worth the reward (payout for your finishing position).

I thought this thread was going to be about a $400 entry fee for a $50k to win race.

Give it time, it will be $500, and a "good" deal...

Just say no...

That is not bad some of the tracks were I live charge 100 for 3k to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Give it time, it will be $500, and a "good" deal...
    as much money as these top teams are spending on equipment and other things to race at the top , I would think 500 bucks would be a drop in the bucket ,,,,jmo,,,