Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Interesting that it passed the durometer but, yet felt like a softer tire with the grip level. Tire doping was really big in the karting world and has evolved over time. One product the kart world used was Kreosote. Sounds like a lot of work to keep up with it and oh yeah don't forget to wrap because you don't want the tire to get dirty lol...............................

So.... If wrapped tires are cheated up, then why aren't more getting busted? Does the compound wear off during racing and just go away? If it is that prevalent, wouldn't there be more infractions? Not doubting necessarily, but would like to understand how so few get detected. Also, would the odor when removing the wrap from the tires still be very pronounced? Is this done before cutting tires or after? Again, if before, then odor would be rather prominent while cutting or grinding, you would assume. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Interesting that it passed the durometer but, yet felt like a softer tire with the grip level. Tire doping was really big in the karting world and has evolved over time. One product the kart world used was Kreosote. Sounds like a lot of work to keep up with it and oh yeah don't forget to wrap because you don't want the tire to get dirty lol...............................
    Stuff like Kreosote is a good reason to strongly rule against doping tires. I had a lot of experience with that in my construction business as it was much used on lumber that was in contact with water. In our case in the building pf piers in the Pacific Ocean. It's very nasty stuff and very uncomfortable when it comes in contact with your skin and does a lot of damage to your respiratory system that might not show up for years, much like all of the old asbestos
    insulation and siding that was used for years, including by our military, up until the early '70s. It's just not worth using it.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Stuff like Kreosote is a good reason to strongly rule against doping tires. I had a lot of experience with that in my construction business as it was much used on lumber that was in contact with water. In our case in the building pf piers in the Pacific Ocean. It's very nasty stuff and very uncomfortable when it comes in contact with your skin and does a lot of damage to your respiratory system that might not show up for years, much like all of the old asbestos
    insulation and siding that was used for years, including by our military, up until the early '70s. It's just not worth using it.
    Yes it can be very dangerous if not handled correctly and with safety in mind but, it didn't stop them. I agree that no one should be using this stuff for soaking tires. I think it's outlawed but, you would know more that I since you've had experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dflow20 View Post
    So.... If wrapped tires are cheated up, then why aren't more getting busted? Does the compound wear off during racing and just go away? If it is that prevalent, wouldn't there be more infractions? Not doubting necessarily, but would like to understand how so few get detected. Also, would the odor when removing the wrap from the tires still be very pronounced? Is this done before cutting tires or after? Again, if before, then odor would be rather prominent while cutting or grinding, you would assume. Curious.
    I’m not convinced that there’s a ton of testing going at a local level or regional level. If there is, people avoid them. Remember when Owen’s and bunch got busted after running some NDRL races? NDRL didn’t last much longer. They just boycott and never go back to run with that sanctioning body.

When you bolt the tires on and remove the plastic, you can’t smell it unless youre right up on it. Most people think it’s a scent of the fuel or just the tire in general. In the trailer, it gets hot and that stuff just fill the trailer with vapors.

When you treat them, you open up the pores of the tire so that it soaks in the treatment, some teams have a rotisserie and pour in thru the valve stem and let the tire soak it up from the inside. If you do it right, it lasts as long as the tire has tread. If you do it wrong, it’ll last until you burn the treated “layer” off

When I used it, the application was the last thing the tire got. Mounting, grooving, siping, and buffing were done before hand. With that said, buffing in between races would give off a smell. Loafers and visitors didn’t stay long when you buffed next to a loud generator and in between the truck and the trailer.

One guy did walk up and insinuate that he smelled something weird. I said “dude that old buffer is about to take a dump”

I’m also one that sees the worst in everything. So I think dirt late model Illuminati only tests to bust the regional that beats the pros and tests the pros once a year to say that they tested and busted someone. I think they said “ok fellas, we’re gonna bust you for tire doping, then you’re gonna win in a few weeks and you’re gonna pass a test”

Just so they can portray an image that their guys don’t need tire dope to go fast and to keep the locals motivated to show up because neither series can pull a full field of full time drivers. Because……..it’s not fun to watch 10 cars race, even if it’s just the pros in the traveling circus.