Thread: Dirt on Dirt

Default Dirt on Dirt

Hey staffers and contributors (whatever that means), please get off the Kyle Larson bandwagon. What's he done. 1 race? Ever hear the names Ross Robinson, Drake Troutman, Spencer Hughes, Tony Jackson, EPJr., Tanner English? All guys who have made multiple A mains and are actual true dirt late model guys. Yeah, we know Larson is a racing stud but let's stick with late model guys. Your rankings seem like they're picked by a clown show.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Hey staffers and contributors (whatever that means), please get off the Kyle Larson bandwagon. What's he done. 1 race? Ever hear the names Ross Robinson, Drake Troutman, Spencer Hughes, Tony Jackson, EPJr., Tanner English? All guys who have made multiple A mains and are actual true dirt late model guys. Yeah, we know Larson is a racing stud but let's stick with late model guys. Your rankings seem like they're picked by a clown show.
    You used to have to credibility, but you lost me at Ross Robinson. WTF has he ever done?

Furthermore, who even cares about the "Top 25" anyway. I will agree with you on that, it's just another piece they've done for years (often poorly) just for content.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    You used to have to credibility, but you lost me at Ross Robinson. WTF has he ever done?
    Ross ran top 10 @ Golden Isles and top 5 @ East Bay. He may not be a threat to win but he pays his dues and seems to be getting faster the more track time he gets. They all have to start somewhere.
    8/13/16

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post

What have YOU ever done? Every driver / team has to start somewhere.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

He and his bride have chased their dream traveling to places they would have otherwise never been to……..and they have one of the coolest sponsors on tour in the frozen farmer.
    With all due respect I look at the Dod rankings like I used to look at the old coaches poll in college football….
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

The DOD top 25 really is just for views and discussion, but really is the only ranking system around anymore. A guy on twitter @ADLM_Rankings had a fantastic system that ranked drivers off of finishing positions and strength of fields, but he hasnt dont it in a few years. After winning the finale at vado and multiple top 5's out there, I was fine with Larson being on the first top 25 poll of the year, but hes run 1 late model race since then which was over a month ago now at GIS where he finished 9th. If those results belonged to ANYONE not named Kyle Larson...hes not on the top 25 list.

Yes I’m also tired of the Larson fan boy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Nothing against any of these drivers especially the young ones like Troutman and Robinson but the poll is about winning a d the bottom line is when larson sits in a latemodel he is a legitimate threat to win. All of the above listed are either not quite their yet or their window has passed. Now I'm not saying I agree with the particular order of rankings but the dod top 25 is a weekly vote based on current performances. And if and when larson is their he's in the mix near the front of the pack generally. The others not so much. Nothing wrong with that. Most people have no idea what it takes to qualify at a national level event let alone win

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Nothing against any of these drivers especially the young ones like Troutman and Robinson but the poll is about winning a d the bottom line is when larson sits in a latemodel he is a legitimate threat to win. All of the above listed are either not quite their yet or their window has passed. Now I'm not saying I agree with the particular order of rankings but the dod top 25 is a weekly vote based on current performances. And if and when larson is their he's in the mix near the front of the pack generally. The others not so much. Nothing wrong with that. Most people have no idea what it takes to qualify at a national level event let alone win
    And most people don’t understand how a sports poll works.

Larson hasn’t ran a late model race in quite some time.

The really funny part is he's ranked 24th and people are still complaining. I would put the guy in the top 25 of any type car he currently competes in. Love him or hate him he's maybe the best all around driver their has ever been and if he's at a race he's a threat to win. It's just facts the guy is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    The really funny part is he's ranked 24th and people are still complaining. I would put the guy in the top 25 of any type car he currently competes in. Love him or hate him he's maybe the best all around driver their has ever been and if he's at a race he's a threat to win. It's just facts the guy is that good.
    The argument isn’t if he’s good or not. We know he’s the best driver in the world.

No doubting Larson is ridiculously talented. I just think some of these guys deserve a little ink. The dod staff has said the rankings are all about what you've done lately. Lately he's been missing in action when a lot of regulars are competing at every event. Just think their are guys more deserving.
    8/13/16

I personally would rather read a article about a different regional guy each week even if there just a local track champ or they only win 5 races a year and run at one track then read 30+ about each of the guys in the top ten evey year… What DOD seems to be missing is the fact that most fans are fans because they have some kind of connection or whatever with one of those local drivers and they like reading about people who they see competing at the local track they go to.. I rather read a story about Jeff rine, or Andy haus or anyone who else who competes against the driver I root for then just some random pro driver who I see maybe once a year when they roll into town.. I realize Bobby and JD ect. are badass And they deserve a story if they win, but you don’t need all the DOD writers writing articles about the national guys . quite frankly I like dirt racing cuz my friend competes and I have someone to personally root for and help out.. Rigsby can run his company as he wants cuz he created it but if he thinks it’s a good idea making DLM into “nascar on dirt” then eventually locals I root for will stop competing against the Lucas guys and my interests will fade.. I can’t imagine that I’m the only one who thinks this way… I fell in love with the sport because of the idea that a local guy who races the same track every weekend may actually have a shot competing with the big dogs on his home turf when they rolled into town.. It’s getting harder To do that, but is still possible, and even when one of the local guys runs top five at a regular outlaw show I’d rather read a story about that team than the touring guy who won that night.

Jb1390. I agree with everything your saying but I don't feel like dod does a bad job of covering local and regional drivers. I think most guys don't scroll past the main headlines. I've read dod articles on pretty much every driver you mentioned they actually have a weekly section that does just that. I'm not saying they couldn't do more. I just don't feel like they don't give the regional or lower tier national drivers enough attention. They just did 2 laps 2 beers with Ross and Amanda at eastbay. I to live that content and would like more of it but they do a fair amount now you just have to scroll down each week

I laughed at Hudson O'Neil dropping so far. I thought it was a driver rankiing not a car ranking.

They got exactly what they wanted. Your all talking about it.

Jking24, you are correct They don’t do a bad job. I should’ve stated some things differently. I have read or seen most of the coverage you mentioned and I appreciate that stuff. I have also taken in a lot of their coverage since 2011 on teams from other regions. I guess the point I was trying to make was that is the type of coverage I would like to see more of. It doesn’t have to be just the region I’m local to. I enjoy coverage on anyone that I haven’t read about before. It’s just with so many teams out there I think they could highlight some of those racers more often. I still read the national guys stories but after so many years, It feels like I’m reading the same facts/history of a driver stated different ways for a lot of the national guys coverage. Sure when new things happen that’s cool to read but i don’t care to read stories where maybe half of it is already information I have read before. Ultimately I’m still gonna keep paying for it because there’s nothing else even close to what they do but I know Rigsby is on here once in a while so I figured I would post something. Hopefully, I’ll see him at one of the races this year and get to thank him and mention that I would love to see more coverage of drivers who haven’t had a story before even if it’s a once a month special.. maybe he has already looked into this and the majority of their subscribers don’t feel the way I do which is fine but as much as I enjoy the sport I felt I should at least mention my thoughts.