Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Anthony Buroughs. When the 2 hooked up, that's about the time he started dominating.
    I heard here on 4m that he was why Bowyer cars sucked. I also heard the guy who was Thornton crew chief in early SSI days was Rumley light.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Ricky is one of the best at his craft but these cars are so close nowadays that everyone has an off night here or there. Doesn't seem like RTJ has many if any of those so far in 2024, he has to be doing something that nobody else is. Its just not normal to pull cars like he was at Port Royal when everyone has the best of the best equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    Ricky is one of the best at his craft but these cars are so close nowadays that everyone has an off night here or there. Doesn't seem like RTJ has many if any of those so far in 2024, he has to be doing something that nobody else is. Its just not normal to pull cars like he was at Port Royal when everyone has the best of the best equipment.
    Fiberglass leaf springs & torque arm?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I heard here on 4m that he was why Bowyer cars sucked. I also heard the guy who was Thornton crew chief in early SSI days was Rumley light.
    He had good equipment and good drivers to work with at Bowyers and they weren't that great...... he didn't exactly light the world on fire with Stuckey either. He has made a name for himself with Ricky and I give him all the props in the world, BUT he wasn't always able to make winners out of his drivers. He's done a good job gaining experience on his way to Indiana, for sure.

Most racers and fans have a hard time admitting that someone is just better then them. I enjoy watching how the seasons play out. No matter if 1 driver dominates or spread out among the field. Rtj and Bobby are the class of the dlm world. Nick dominating ump mods like he did was fascinating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chopter33 View Post
    Most racers and fans have a hard time admitting that someone is just better then them. I enjoy watching how the seasons play out. No matter if 1 driver dominates or spread out among the field. Rtj and Bobby are the class of the dlm world. Nick dominating ump mods like he did was fascinating to me.
    It's funny how a driver is the best for a short period of time. It's funny what Ricky does with the rr suspension dynamics with a steering wheel in his hand
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It's funny how a driver is the best for a short period of time. It's funny what Ricky does with the rr suspension dynamics with a steering wheel in his hand
    He's been the best in whatever he's been driving for quite a while. RR? What side was the rumley device on?

He's been the best in whatever he's been driving for quite a while. RR? What side was the rumley device on?
    You sure about that?

I believe was LR.

Rumley device was LR. We talking about the 20 now
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

As flagone stated, there's no "secret weapon" on the 20, just a good Clements engine, a well setup Longhorn, and a top shelf driver . . . all working in sync. I am particularly fascinated how Thornton handles traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    As flagone stated, there's no "secret weapon" on the 20, just a good Clements engine, a well setup Longhorn, and a top shelf driver . . . all working in sync. I am particularly fascinated how Thornton handles traffic.
    Explain why he's faster from mid-corner to flag stand? How does the driver make car faster coming OFF the corner. Bloomer did it by going in straighter then quick pivot. Same way Purvis won a bunch. He looked like track was pavement.

PIVOT! PIVUT! PIIIIVVVOT!

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Nobody is saying there is some sort of secret weapon. People are just curious as to what they have found in the setup and what they are doing differently. There is more to it than just good gear and a good driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyy7777 View Post
    Nobody is saying there is some sort of secret weapon. People are just curious as to what they have found in the setup and what they are doing differently. There is more to it than just good gear and a good driver.
    Some can't wrap brain around fact, using same equipment as possibly 15 other cars on a race night, he appears to have 20% better forward bite. Nearly everywhere they go. Occasionally strokes it to a (gasp) 3rd from a poor start.

Has to be torque arm/5th coil, and/or rear suspension advantage. If he was able to run as straight as Bloomer I'd say front end geometry/brake balance.

I swear I am hearing guys in the #20 race shop laughing over a few beers…
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

I know I am. Got my beer nuts as well.
    8/13/16

Default Klem and HH25

Heck, I like all of the pontificating.

Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    Heck, I like all of the pontificating.
    Me too. But I was just thinking what those guys think when reading this.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

I also hear laughter coming from the Pierce 32 shop also. 20 & 32 are driving everybody nuts.

It is logical to say that he is getting more power to ground out of the turns. And enough of a traction loss on the inside rear to conpensate and keep the car from being tight.

Just some thoughts.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!