Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Jackson Jr

Default Tony Jackson Jr

Didn’t make it through April on tour. I am really shocked by this news.

Might be smarter from a resources stand point to race closer during the R&D period than chasing a national tour. Sure pride wants to run natty, but wallet says something else.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Not much of a surprise that Capital isn't top rung stuff as for speed. HTF loves the Capital stuff for it's "kit car" like build. Said they believe, from their experience with half-dozen different chassis manufacturers, easiest to assemble. I know some will bash that statement. They were just saying, if you starting out and want something to learn with, Capital is way to go. Takes few years to learn how to build/assemble stuff. The Longhorn stuff apparently isn't consistently easy to put together. May be as simple as who does the powdercoat? IDK?

Yeah my comment was sarcasm everyone knew it was coming.

Some of these guys commit to the tour to go after sponsor dollars and get Provisionals for speedweek and never intend to truly follow the tour.

Chassis switch on the horizon

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Chassis switch on the horizon
    Always possible with TJ, he seems to change chassis like most people change underwear. To me if your gonna sign on to do "R&D" you shouldn't expect a winning car, everybody knows Capitol is a bit off on the national stage, but with some time and effort maybe they can rebound. I personally prefer more chassis diversity in an organic way, not thru DEI, if you know what I mean. I would think doing some focused testing would yield better results than running up and down the road, but thats just me. Wish them well, its a tough business anymore, with tour politics and too much outside money distorting the DLM economy, not to mention lax rule enforcement, rule makers without a clue and series wanting to emulate other failing greedy woke organizations as the desired benchmark.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Every View Post
    Always possible with TJ, he seems to change chassis like most people change underwear. To me if your gonna sign on to do "R&D" you shouldn't expect a winning car, everybody knows Capitol is a bit off on the national stage, but with some time and effort maybe they can rebound. I personally prefer more chassis diversity in an organic way, not thru DEI, if you know what I mean. I would think doing some focused testing would yield better results than running up and down the road, but thats just me. Wish them well, its a tough business anymore, with tour politics and too much outside money distorting the DLM economy, not to mention lax rule enforcement, rule makers without a clue and series wanting to emulate other failing greedy woke organizations as the desired benchmark.
    Shocks. Need to buy half dozen different manufacturers set-up and see which one is better. Maybe $30-40K?

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Shocks. Need to buy half dozen different manufacturers set-up and see which one is better. Maybe $30-40K?
    That would be a horrible waste of money
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That would be a horrible waste of money
    Pick your poison. Sell off what didn't work. Surely wouldn't lose that much. I find it hard to believe there's a ton of difference in say the top six chassis builders.

What shocks do you run or is that a secret? You aren't running top level SLM though are you? Local stuff only?

Don't mean that as harshly as it sounds.

Pick your poison. Sell off what didn't work. Surely wouldn't lose that much. I find it hard to believe there's a ton of difference in say the top six chassis builders.

What shocks do you run or is that a secret? You aren't running top level SLM though are you? Local stuff only?

Don't mean that as harshly as it sounds.
    Run regional/ local stuff against guys with the same stuff as the Lucas guys. That's the only racers left racing. There's almost zero guys left that don't have a new horn or rocket. I run whatever I get a deal on and get it valved to suit what I need.
    Mostly run ohlins though.

Only the valve curve matters. Brand means nothing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Yes, all the cars are pretty close. But a small change in some suspension attachment points can yield a big difference in how a car drives.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

The shocks are adjustable for a reason. You'll get a lot further testing than just bolting random shocks on your car. Every brand can't achieve the exact same shape of curve, but any of them can work well. Who built it? was it tuned to what you need? All of this way more important than brand sticker on the side
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

The shocks are adjustable for a reason. You'll get a lot further testing than just bolting random shocks on your car. Every brand can't achieve the exact same shape of curve, but any of them can work well. Who built it? was it tuned to what you need? All of this way more important than brand sticker on the side
    Which takes us back to the comment about maybe staying home and not spending so much time/money chasing races you can't be competitive in. The "house car" certainly needs to be getting some sort of results. I know you don't know how slow you are until to get on track with the fast guys but...have to go testing. It's hard running on dirt though.

I'd have a Caphorn and Capocket for sure. Front clip that turd and see what's up.

But my above comment also has a parallel with the RTJ thread. Is his mechanical advantage in rear suspension, 5th coil/torque arm or front end? How do you know which end matters most?

But my above comment also has a parallel with the RTJ thread. Is his mechanical advantage in rear suspension, 5th coil/torque arm or front end? How do you know which end matters most?
    If your front end is way faster than the back end, you'll never know. The car steers just fine.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

If your front end is way faster than the back end, you'll never know. The car steers just fine.
    LOL! I had that coming.

I’m going to say that with Tony Jackson Jr’s reputation of being a constant chassis changer and buying the latest and greatest shocks from everyone that sells them that he probably doesn’t get the latest and greatest that he thinks he’s getting. His past practices have probably shot him in the foot with everyone. At the end of the day nothing he’s done has ever improved his performance.

Very interesting! I don't know nothing bout him. Just figure Clanton would be interested in getting things rolling or might be short lived business.

Cool

On their third different shock program in less than a year… maybe it’s not the shocks???