Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I don't like saying this!

I have to be 100% honest, I never thought I would say this, but I fond dirt late model racing today boring. I have flo and dirtvision and I have to be honest, I choose sprint car racing almost every time live when faced with the choice. After the Dream this year, wow, no passing, high limit, ohio sprint speedweek, Usac, and the WOO sprints, its almost a no brainer. And trust me, I 've been a huge dirt late model fan for decades. The sport is in big trouble if they dont make it more exciting.

i wouldnt gauge the quality off of the eldora races, i see clips from the 90s of eldora and it looks just as boring except they couldnt run against the wall. if you take jd out of the picture at eldora the last 5 years and the racing is fanatastic there mostly, hes just that good to make it boring

Drivers and engineering is killing it

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Drivers and engineering is killing it
    Aero dependency is killing it. I've never seen consistent good racing from any racing vehicle where there's dirty air to contend with, along with just looking for a line to pass the car in front of you.

Dirt late models used to be good because they had rules in place to promote little downforce and in some cases even a bit of lift here and there.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-13-2024 at 10:35 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 3
    Eldora - 2
    Lawrenceburg - 1

Bad formats are what is making it boring, fast qualifier on the front row, heat winners on the front row, it makes for a long boring show. The cars are all very close in speed, but they are in other forms of racing as well, asphalt, sprints, etc. A better format would create better racing, and a much more exciting show.

Quote Originally Posted by adn View Post
    Bad formats are what is making it boring, fast qualifier on the front row, heat winners on the front row, it makes for a long boring show. The cars are all very close in speed, but they are in other forms of racing as well, asphalt, sprints, etc. A better format would create better racing, and a much more exciting show.
    I'd like to see the fast cars start in the back to make it interesting but then u would have a crash fest w slower cars. I always liked it back in the day when someone won so many races the handicap them and make them start last. It was fun to watch them come thru the field again.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by adn View Post
    And nobody will go for it because it's too hard to pass, for the reasons already mentioned
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 3
    Eldora - 2
    Lawrenceburg - 1

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    i wouldnt gauge the quality off of the eldora races, i see clips from the 90s of eldora and it looks just as boring except they couldnt run against the wall. if you take jd out of the picture at eldora the last 5 years and the racing is fanatastic there mostly, hes just that good to make it boring
    Agreed. I thought there was plenty of side-by-side racing from 2nd on back. It was just at last year's dream 100 was Chris Madden drove all the way from the back to finish 2nd.

You can't get TOO creative with the format. At some point you'll cross the line into where you're just creating a gimmick instead of a credible sport.

A few things can make it better. Do double file restarts and make them tight n close not the jump restarts. Get rid of Delaware double file restarts. Get rid of signaling an all that goes with that an replace inverts an put in 6 lap dashes to see where they start the feature. If it's 4 make it 4 laps if it's 8 cars make it 8.
    Last edited by t4g2; 06-13-2024 at 01:51 PM.

I've started going to races in the 70's and always went where they had super lates.I have been saying for a few years now that they are killing the sport with all this AERO stuff.It has gotten so expensive for all the new technology stuff that local tracks can't pay enough for them to be able to afford it.I've been watching sprints for a while now and they can pass on any track. They can slide up in front of another car and that car will not loose the front end because of down force.I don't know what the answer is because the big Series wont change rules and tracks will just follow what they tell them to.Some will say supers are stronger than ever but not from where I've been lately.For any person that has never been up close to a super late for a while you need to look close at how the bodies are so out of skew.If this younger gen could have seen how the racing was back in the day of swing arm ,leaf springs.when the driver was actually a wheel man and not a steering wheel holder.Until they change the aero dependency it will decline more and more.

Been that way for couple years now. I still follow it some but rarely make it to a race anymore. I go to sprint car and midget races pretty much anymore. The push starts suck but at least the racing usually good

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    I have to be 100% honest, I never thought I would say this, but I fond dirt late model racing today boring. I have flo and dirtvision and I have to be honest, I choose sprint car racing almost every time live when faced with the choice. After the Dream this year, wow, no passing, high limit, ohio sprint speedweek, Usac, and the WOO sprints, its almost a no brainer. And trust me, I 've been a huge dirt late model fan for decades. The sport is in big trouble if they dont make it more exciting.
    I find myself doing the same thing.

well it looks like 49 44 32 99 20rtj need to go a head and retire from racing

The big shows at eldora have just become very stale. Part of the charm was seeing guys like Matt Miller Bart Hartman Scott James threaten to win or actually win the big races there. It seems those kind of regional stars have zero chance these days. They make the show but arenít competitive for 100 laps. The gap between the top teams and the next tier is larger than ever in large part due to the aero which drives up the cost.

The sprints have been better on the half mile tracks for several years now at it seems to get worse each year. People used to say the outlaws were a train race but it is much more often that way with late models these days.

Starting to remind me of Nascar a few years back, at least now in Nascar some smaller funded teams are winning.

Default Iím stuck in the 80ís ---

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    I'd agree.

Below are some of the best years of DLM racing, in my opinion.

https://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/19...Series_Central

https://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/19...Series_Central

https://thethirdturn.com/wiki/1985_N...Series_Central

STARS, USAC, NCRA, and ASCoC were great in that time frame as well.
    Last edited by lurker; 06-14-2024 at 12:02 AM.

Sad, I thought I was more alone on this! Does anyone watch dirttrackker? Justin Pointed out sprint cars don't do testing, Aero has killed the sport. And multi-million dollar car owners, the top heavy purses are also bad, I agree about incentivising winning, but when 7th place is only 9,000 dollars, a race like the Dream is not profitable. Things will never change, because whats wrecking the sport is the corporate sponsors of all the sanctioning groups, and most tracks.

NASCAR Busch All Star Tour ran for a while in 80ís and early 90ís. It was good in the Midwest.

I agree to a certain extent,but did you see the AMS race from Path Valley?
    Formerly 66#1

Notice when any late model slides someone. If the 2nd car is within 1 car of the lead car the 2nd car loses the front steering. Aero sucks and open wheel racing (sprints, midgets, modifieds) are a better show because of it.