Default "The Dustbuster" Wins Chris Estes/Brad Pena Memorial at Ponderosa Speedway

Ponderosa Speedway
    365 Phillips Lane
    Junction City, Kentucky 40440

2011 Official Media Release #22 (For Immediate Distribution: May 6, 2011)
    Contact- Michael Despain (mgdespain@windstream.net and/or dirttrackracing@hotmail.com)

“The Dustbuster” Wins Chris Estes/Brad Pena Memorial at Ponderosa Speedway

Junction City, KY-May 6, 2011- Ponderosa Speedway would present the 4th Annual Chris Estes/Brad Pena Memorial on Friday evening and Dustin Neat of Dunnville, KY would become the fourth different winner of this event and pick up the $1,500 payday. Other feature event winners included P.J. Feistritzer of Danville, KY in Bob Allen Motor Mall Pro Late Models, Benji Lee of Loretto, KY in Ken Towery’s Auto Tires and Super Service Modifieds, Logan Whitis of Hustonville, KY in D&D Pallet Recyclers Sportsman presented by Simple Sign and Decal, and Austin Taylor of Harrodsburg, KY in SkyTower Power Race Engines Open Four Cylinders.

Dustin Linville would take the initial race lead in the Chris Estes/Brad Pena Memorial event for the Good Neighbor Pharmacy Super Late Models, but after three early caution periods, Dustin Neat would roll up from his third starting position and grab the lead for good on lap 5 and survive four more caution periods to become the fourth different winner of this event. Neat would drive to the checkered flag first in the seat of his Red Buck/Keltner Contracting/Barnett Construction/NWN Distributing/Tri-County Wood/D&R Livestock/Southern Rayz Tanning Salon/Wayne Bowen Racing Supply sponsored #25 Longhorn Chassis, Estes Race Engines powered ride. Justin Rattliff would take runner-up honors, while first time visitor Jarrod Breeding, Derek Fisher, and Bobby Wolter, Jr. would complete the top five. The remainder of the top ten would be John Mulligan, Stephen Breeding, Wesley Brummett, Dustin Linville, and Victor Lee. In preliminary action, Neat would be the top qualifier among 17 entries at 13.349 seconds, with heat wins falling to Neat and Linville.

P.J. Feistritzer would pass early race leader Danny Hatcher on lap 3 of the Bob Allen Motor Mall Pro Late Model main event and keep Hatcher at bay to pick up the 20 lap feature event checkered flag in his unsponsored #88 C.J. Rayburn Race Cars, GM604 powered unit. Hatcher would finish second, while last week’s winner Todd Coffman would start at the rear of the field and finish third. Timmy Yeager and Jake Henry would round out the top five. Henry would score the heat win.

Benji Lee would lead every lap of the Ken Towery’s Auto Tires and Super Service Modified main event as the former track champion would pull his A.L. Ball Moving and Storage/Thompson Heating and Air/Smart Shoppers/Springfield Auto and Farm Supply/ On Time Courier/On Time Construction/B&B Motorsports/St. Joe Garage sponsored #03 Bandit Race Cars, Dale Meers Race Engines powered machine into victory lane at the drop of the checkered flag. Bartley Grant would finish second, followed by Doug Cosby and Dion Benningfield. Grant would win the heat.

The D&D Pallet Recyclers Sportsman presented by Simple Sign and Decal feature event would see Logan Whitis drive to the early race lead and never be headed in picking up the feature win in the Gary Whitis owned 7 Oaks Farms/Whited’s Auto Sales/ Bennett’s Car Care/Back and Body Chiropractic/B&K Tire sponsored #12w Chevy Monte Carlo entry. John Cole would finish a close second, followed by Daniel Howard, Jeremy Howard, and Johnny King. Whitis would also win the heat.

The SkyTower Power Race Engines Open Four Cylinders would see Austin Taylor drive his unsponsored #5 machine to his second straight feature event victory over Brandon Lucas and Chris West. Lucas would win the heat.

SUMMARY-Ponderosa Speedway-Junction City, KY-May 6, 2011

Good Neighbor Pharmacy Super Late Models (17 entries)
    Top Qualifier- Dustin Neat 13.349
    1st Heat- Dustin Neat, Michael Chilton, Victor Lee, Bobby Wolter, Jr.
    2nd Heat- Dustin Linville, Justin Rattliff, David Webb, Gary Yeager
    4th Annual Chris Estes/Brad Pena Memorial- Dustin Neat, Justin Rattliff, Jarrod Breeding, Derek Fisher, Bobby Wolter, Jr., John Mulligan, Stephen Breeding, Wesley Brummett, Dustin Linville, Victor Lee, Arnie Fields, Gary Yeager, Jason Hinkle, David Webb, Michael Chilton, Tommy Riggs, Mickey Slone

Bob Allen Motor Mall Pro Late Models (8 entries)
    Heat- Jake Henry, P.J. Feistritzer, Danny Hatcher, Timmy Yeager
    Feature- P.J. Feistritzer, Danny Hatcher, Todd Coffman, Timmy Yeager, Jake Henry, Jeff Rawlings, Cale Strife, Sammy Brown

Ken Towery’s Auto Tires and Super Service Modifieds (4 entries)
    Heat- Bartley Grant, Benji Lee, Dion Benningfield, Doug Cosby
    Feature- Benji Lee, Bartley Grant, Doug Cosby, Dion Benningfield

D&D Pallet Recyclers Sportsman presented by Simple Sign and Decal (10 entries)
    Heat- Logan Whitis, John Cole, Steve Rector, David Murphy
    Feature- Logan Whitis, John Cole, Daniel Howard, Jeremy Howard, Johnny King, Glen Hounshell, Sr., David Murphy, Steve Rector (DNS- Rusty Hulett, Matt Cox)

SkyTower Power Race Engines Open Four Cylinders (3 entries)
    Heat- Brandon Lucas, Chris West, Austin Taylor
    Feature- Austin Taylor, Brandon Lucas, Chris West

I have always respected a promoter who is willing to keep a race track alive but with the crap that took place last night this one will be short lived. Price to get in was great. Keeping fans there all night for a hand full of cars not. Waiting till drivers meeting was over at 7:15 then thinking about rolling the track in and begging cars to help wrong steps. Show should have been done by 10:00 pm. You need to balls up get the track ready for the 7:30 hotlaps and qualifing. Don't wait on cars to come to the line up they know when and where they are suppose to be. I know and have raced with those guys and they want to race. The Pond is still one of the best tracks around. Live and learn to be great and now show everybody you can do this. Good luck with it.

Race cars should do the final wheel pack. The track wasnt touched by track personal. It was still wet in the feature and caused a lot of tore up race cars. Need to put the tires back down where they were last year and pack the whole track in befor you turn racers loose otherwise nobody is gonna show up anymore. So what ya saying is fans want to see 7 of 17 cars finish. Dont think so. The track was great last year and racing was great no need to change.

This place is a joke. The flagman is goin get somebody hurt,the owner has idea how run the place,the cars that got tore up is a shame,so i would say that he want be open another month because people is not goin set for hours to wait for cars to get on track until 9:00 every week.

Thier was no way possible to race several drivers were still there when a huge cell come through as radar showed and first cell would've took hour or more of wastin time bash bash Thier other tracks everywhere

I have sit in a late model at 1 o'clock in the morning waiting for our feature to start didn't like it then and don't like any better now. Track is responsible for track prep and cars to finish up the final wheel pack not go out in the soup. Still with a handful of cars racing should have finished early. I hope you are not with the track to tell fans if they don't like it they can leave because every track needs both fans and cars to survive. I do want to watch races at the Pond and do want it to keep moving forward. Everyone is not perfect but we learn from mistakes and try to do better next time. The nights at the Pond since the change in surface that were dry slick there were three wide races with little damage to anyone not loosing over half the field. The racers have become alot better at driving those tracks putting on an excellent show and going home in one piece. This just my opinion.

You are right the flag man is going to get someone hurt bad if not for Roy there would have been 2 or more cars totaled tonight bc he dont know what the heck he is doing. Now that brings me to the tow truck driver they dont have a clue what there doing took him about 8 mins to hook to the rear bumper of a car to pull them out of the mud lol.Also when did lincoln county turn wet why they were people with beer cans wailing all over the place now i know that there has always been drinkin around the place but put it in a cup for gods sake. And last talked to a fellow i know who raced there and ran 5th in a crate $50 bucks for 5th thats a slap to the face for that kind of money. Track prep is not the racers job we pay you a lot of hard earned money to race at your track the least you could do is to have it ready for us when we get there. Final wheel packing is fine but to roll your whole track in with $6 a gallon fuel ant the pay that you are giving there will not be many ppl come and race at all your super and crates will soon look like your mod class 3 or 4 cars.

But where would the 88 car had to of finished to get the 600 that he got for the win? Ok so u say take the crates away well thats fine and dandy dut out of the 9 that were there maybe 2 or 3 show back up to race thats 6 cars he will lose at 25 per head thats abut 500 bucks just on pit fees plus lost sales in foods. I hope that they do make it but the lights r getting dim. we will c next week if i am right or not see how many supers r there and how mant others r and u will have your answer.They do however need track security to take care of matters like the drinking that goes on plus what if a fight beaks out no one ever said a word to chilten after webb ran him in the wall he had enough time to un strap get out take is helmet off and walk at a slow pace to find webbif webb had of went ot the infiel there would have benn on hell of a fight bc they didnt watch waht was going on . I have went to the pond for many years now but friday night done me in with the place unless something changes there

I just want everyone to know that i am not the flagman at the pond anymore. I haven't flaged there since last year. Thanks and god bless. I hope to see you all at the races..

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsbluer1 View Post
    no worse than burnside or bluegrass you must be kidding burnside mods come all the way from indiana to race it sprinkles for 25 secs and you cancel so them drivers are out 150.00 in gas then if they want to come for the make up date thats another 150.00 plus that donnie goode wants to put down another track that dont even race on saturday nights you need to take that big black mic you walk around with and shove it in your a$$ and by the way its pretty bad when you get 9 lates and the mod have faster time than 5 of them then they charge 2.00 bucks for a cold a$$ hotdog and a dollar for a can drink and maybe the state inspector needs to check out your stands
    please, as a fan and I love to attend ponderosa.but do not COMPARE it to bluegrass that track sticks with how the show is going to take place. i have never seen in my time attending bluegrass that the first race started after 9 like it did friday at the ponderosa. and yes they need a new flagman else someone is going to get hurt.

Thumbs up

by the looks of the video's the track may have been alittle wetter than usual but the racing looks fast and the cars put on a good show and i personally did not see to many cars really toren up like the people on here have been saying but i was'nt there and only can go by the video's

Default I Stand behind my Flagman

I Stand behing my Flagman. Thanks Tim for clarifying the events of friday night. Your video evidence is proof that the flagman is doing a good job. In all of the videos you can see corner workers waving flags and the flagman waving his flag. As well as the caution light on. As the cars pass under the Flag stand you can clearly see that they are all slowing down which says the flagman has control of the race. Not only do we rely on just the flagman to make us aware of cautions we have corner workers and a complete staff in the pit tower all with working radios and constant comunication montioring all events on the track. Safety is a priority of mine as a track owner. I know David Smith very well. He has flagged for a long time and i stand behind what he does for me. We did have some issues with getting the race started on time but i assure everyone that these are isolated incidents. And i'd like to clairfy the purse issue. Its $1000 to win on supers, $600 on Pro late models, $600 on modifieds, $300 for Sportsman, $150 for Street Stock and $75 for open 4 clyinders. These Payouts are guaranteed but like all other tracks without a full field of cars purses are cut by 25%. and for the Open 4 cylinders the purse is completely eliminated. I did however give back everyone who particpated their pit pass money. In addition to offering free pass to every driver that supports me all year long for next years events. I look forward to providing a safe and afforable place for racers and fans to enjoy motorsports, and welcome all comments. Ponderosa Speedway is in a dry county and drinking will not be permitted on the premise. Sincerely Donnie Sullivan.
    Last edited by 1fastdirtcar; 05-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.