Default Harbour Freight floor jack for late model?

We where thinking about getting a aluminum jack for next year. I have seen alot of guys using the Harbour Freight jack you can get for like $60 it raises to 14-3/4" and has one wheel all the way across the front. I got a coupon to get the 2 ton with a 18-1/2 height for $130 made more like a regular floor jack.

Does anyone have any experience with these jacks? People I have talked to say they work great and they done have any real complaints. I am just kinda torn on the 14-3/4" or 18-1/2 height jacks? I am kinda a big guy and would like the extra hieght but it's twice the price? Thanks guys and gals for any input.

I have used the 2 ton jack for alittle over 2 years and havent had a problem! I used it on a 3000 lbs bomber and a 2300 lbs late never gave me any problems. The only thing I would recommend is taking ALL the bolts out that holds the wheels on and apply locktite!

Ditto on the Loctite!

I use the smallest aluminum jack Harbor Freight sells. It works great in the shop or on concrete. And it raises the car up high enough. It is "tippy" on dirt and sand, because it really isn't that wide. I have aluminum plates I grabbed out of some scrap metal bins. I use those under the jack when using it on dirt, and it works ok. If you can afford the bigger jack, and have the space to put it. I would get it. The little one works, but its not the best.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

It all depends on what you are doing but for me personally, a 14" jack just doesn't get the car up high enough. But I use 14" jack stands so...
    I do keep 14" jacks around the shop to manipulate the rear end or front suspension when measuring and playing with stuff but we don't use them to lift and lower the car itself.
    With regard to Harbor Freight, and again this is just been my personal experience, I don't buy anything from them that has moving parts or electrical components. I've bought many things from Harbor Freight over the years and this is what I've concluded. It's not worth saving a few bucks for something that is going to fail when you need it most. In most cases, you get what you pay for and when it comes to tools, I simply have zero tolerance for junk which is what Harbor Freight mostly sells. Spending a little more now could save you a lot down the road.
    If it was me, I'd lay down the extra cash for a name brand jack and I DO race on a budget...well most of the time :-)

I have both... and both work fine.

Last year we bought 2 smaller jacks from harbor freight. We still use them today but it just wont pick the car (05 masters smack) up high enough to get on the taller jackstands, which is all we have. They are great when you need to get them under the car to help you out when another set of hands are unavailable.

This was kinda my main concern that it just wont be high enough. We have been using the steel jack from the shop but that thing gets HEAVY lifting in and out of truck bed! gonna wait and see how christmas goes but think i'm gonna try the taller one thanks guys.

We used the 1 1/2 ton version jack last year. It is advertised as requiring 3 1/2 pumps - ours took more like 50 pumps to get it up!

I have had 2 of them and they work very nice.

If the cheap jacks ever get picked up by the handle and the jack hanging straight down, it will allow air into the system and they will be harder to pump as you will have MUCH less stroke that will actually move the pad. They are also a PAIN to get bled out again. We went thru several of the larger ones and them bought a Craftsman aluminum jack and it was an awesome piece and the price is pretty good when you get them on sale.

Default jack

I have had a Harbor Freight aluminum jack ever since they first come out. It`s either 1 1/2 ton or 2, cant remember without going to the shop and lookin. But it has been several years and have never touched it. I quit racing, and now my son uses the same jack. But I would go for the bigger jack, just alittle handier.............JMO