Default Starter Troubleshooting

I have a starter that doesn't spin. The solenoid kicks out the gear, but it doesn't spin. I am bench testing it, and it still doesn't spin. Here is what I tested, where have I gone wrong?1. Checked resistance of the commutator to armature shaft. It is open, so that is good.2. Checked resistance between segments of the commutator. I have continuity, so that is good.3. I checked the mica on the commutator and they are clean and there is plenty of gap. So that is good.4. I checked continuity of the brushes. The insulated ones are open to the starter case. So that is good. 5. The starter does physically spin my hand, I have no binding or bearing issues.What am I missing?
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

This forum pisses me off. Why does it lump everything into one paragraph?
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

It seams you are looking for a short when you should be looking for an open circuit.Some where current is not getting through.Did you take the solenoid apart,most have a copper disc that makes contact energizing the starter motor.These can become burnt or corroded and not make a good contact.Take a look at the brushes,check the leads make sure they are still intact.Lightly sand the brushes they can become glazed and not make good contact.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by joedoozer View Post
    This forum pisses me off. Why does it lump everything into one paragraph?
    Because 4m is an ill-engineered piece of crap.
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

The starter is only a year old and looks decent. The solenoid is good, and works perfect. When I put power right on the cable on the motor side it still doesn't spin. I think it might be a brush issue. At this point what else could it be.
    Last edited by joedoozer; 02-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.

If the brushes check out ok ,about the only thing left would be an open winding in the armature.You need a special piece of test equiptment to check the armature,find a local electric motor shop they should be able to check it for a couple bucks.

Yeah a growl test. I live in the middle of no where so finding something like that isn't even worth trying.