Thread: Twin plug motor

Default Twin plug motor

Have a '93 2300 Ford twin plug. Want to use the block if I can add a distributor. Appears there is a block off plug where the distributor goes which should be an easy removal correct? Anyone build one of these for racing? Anything more involved than just adding a distributor?

Default Good Block To Use

You won't have any problem using that block. Just pull out the oil pump driver (that's all the thing in the hole is when you don't use a distributor) and then use a fuel pump gasket to mark the block where the fuel pump would be. You can cut that hole out by drilling a hole and then using a die grinder. It is very thin there so it cuts easily. Make sure that you check the auxillary shaft though. I have seen those motors "with" and "without" a lobe on the aux shaft to drive the fuel pump.
    Also if you have never used one of these blocks , you probably won't be able to use any crankshafts you have laying around. Use the crank out of this motor. It is a small main journal block/crank. Rod journals are the same. You will also be able to use the 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket . You'll see that the front cover and rear main cap have a smooth surface instead of the groove where you normally put the rubber end gaskets.

Great, I forgot about the fuel pump, should have included that issue as well. Thanks for the tip on opening that up. By the way, will there be a distributor drive gear on that shaft or will that have to be added as well? Appreciate the info on this block.
    Last edited by Rtruck; 02-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Default twin plug motor

the aux.shaft has a dist, gear on it,,just maybe not a lobe for the fuel pump,,i ran this block last year

One point, if you can run a electric fuel pump do that instead of cutting the block out. Reason is if there is no lobe on the aux shaft then there is no ballance issues on that part. I always ran electric pumps and after grinding the lobe off the shaft I never had a issue with the shafts again.