Thread: stagger

Default stagger

Like to get some opinions on rear stagger. Tires are UMP d40's ,4bar mod metric front end. The track is 1/4 mile and tacky for a couple month's at the start of season. On a good night the leaders turn 13.50 qualifying laps. I'm hearing 3/4'' -3'', that's quite a spread using a few racers opinions.

Don't run a D on the rr. I run about 2 inches tacky and for the feature I run a inch or so.

Thanks for the reply DR,anyone else care to comment.

One problem is there are way to many ways to make the rear of the car turn. I chased ~1" of stagger last year and put more rear steer in the car to help... Then went ahead and increased stagger a month or so later and it went to free. Increased to ~3" of stagger. Left the stagger and pulled the RR back where it was and the car liked it better. (better with the stagger and less rear steer than the opposite).

Starting this year with the stagger and RR where is was set.

So, it comes back to what the car needs and driver likes. Stagger will free the car up on entry and exit but other things come into play. Typically, there is more than one way to get there.

Thank's fo the reply LFM. Yeah been told radius of turn dictates stagger,dont change stagger for diff. track conditions.Stagger makes the car turn,etc. Been told rear steer has the car turned,dont add a ton of stagger. We have limited exp.,seems we may have to test between 1''-3'' of stagger combined with diff. amounts of rear steer.

Quote Originally Posted by willyj View Post
    Thank's fo the reply LFM. Yeah been told radius of turn dictates stagger,dont change stagger for diff. track conditions.Stagger makes the car turn,etc. Been told rear steer has the car turned,dont add a ton of stagger. We have limited exp.,seems we may have to test between 1''-3'' of stagger combined with diff. amounts of rear steer.
    3 to 1 is correct, Hot laps, 2.5 to 3 in., tacky timing 2.5, 2in for heat, 1 to 1.5 feature, now this all depends on your set up. a d for timing is ok but run a tires after that, throw the old d tires on the left front if you don't have an a for it, don't be afraid to flash tires before heat begins and the feature. Tri to get some heat in them