Default setting timing with dial light on 602 crate

i saw it on here somewhere and cant find it now but know Brad and few others said no no,well trust me it is def. a no no,just figured out some problems and had car running flawless. 1 of my buddies came over to help me get ready to race yesterday we adjusted valves and changed the br oil out and racing oil in and he said checked ur timing lately I said no but been cranking fine and no heating prob. only ran 195* on e 85 keep in mind. He pulled out msd dial light fired it off and said good gracious thng is on 40* and said man u get this right and u will def. have it right lowered it down to 32* per his light i told him they say dont use dial light he said man this is a $300 light they prob. talking about them cheap ones. Well guess what chased flutter in middle of corner all night after thought had car handling pretty good but got to noticing it wasnt firing off as easily then in feature we run 20 laps after 1/2 way noticed people were running me down and passing me started to hear it flutter looked at water temp. was 215 next lap started fluttering and got to 225 in 2 more laps ans was really fluttering and was gonna bring it in that lap and going in 1 somthing broke,jumped cushion and in the wall to top it all off and wiped out all right side susp. and jbar. So guys go ahead and put ur dial lights up just hope it hasnt hurt the motor and what mark actually do i need to paint orange or silver on balancer to set timing back had friend that runs crates set it after we fired off out of crate and set it but we never marked so i can get it back with regular timing light.thx

the balancer is marked in degrees----sometimes its hard too see but its there

what i don't like on the 602 is the pointer----for one it covers the entire balancer so even if you extend your painted line all the way over it is still hard too see and next is it has more than just 1 point so you need to determine what is "0" on the pointer

I personally don't see a problem with taking the bolted on pointer off and modifying it so that it only is a pointer but I don't do it to my customers engines only because someone somewhere might say I have modified the engine.

what I do on the dyno is remove the factory pointer and install a modified version for intial setting purposes but if your careful you can extend the lines across the face make sure they align with the centerline of the balancer and you can do an accurate timing check

its tuff to describe in print maybe I will try to get some pics up on our website at some point but if you have any questions give me a call

and just so you know ---there is nothing wrong with a dial up timing light system it is most always the operator----not intentionally knocking anyone's skills it is just something I have seen so many times that its just is easier to use a $10 light and not have the posability of mistake.

if it doesn't seem right--- it probably isn't

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    the balancer is marked in degrees----sometimes its hard too see but its therewhat i don't like on the 602 is the pointer----for one it covers the entire balancer so even if you extend your painted line all the way over it is still hard too see and next is it has more than just 1 point so you need to determine what is "0" on the pointerI personally don't see a problem with taking the bolted on pointer off and modifying it so that it only is a pointer but I don't do it to my customers engines only because someone somewhere might say I have modified the engine.what I do on the dyno is remove the factory pointer and install a modified version for intial setting purposes but if your careful you can extend the lines across the face make sure they align with the centerline of the balancer and you can do an accurate timing checkits tuff to describe in print maybe I will try to get some pics up on our website at some point but if you have any questions give me a calland just so you know ---there is nothing wrong with a dial up timing light system it is most always the operator----not intentionally knocking anyone's skills it is just something I have seen so many times that its just is easier to use a $10 light and not have the posability of mistake. if it doesn't seem right--- it probably isn'tBrad
    Thanks Brad you have been more than helpful with me on this crate stuff,would love to see some pics so i make sure i get it right this little stuff is killing me right now.

guru,..you need any help straghting out that camoflage just holla! i got some extra a-frames spendals an stuff if you need them...DWB

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    guru,..you need any help straghting out that camoflage just holla! i got some extra a-frames spendals an stuff if you need them...DWB
    ok thx man

Quote Originally Posted by guruofdirt View Post
    Thanks Brad you have been more than helpful with me on this crate stuff,would love to see some pics so i make sure i get it right this little stuff is killing me right now.
    sorry man dropping the ball a bit with updates and things like this on the web site

heading to the FT engine summit tomorrow and won't be around or able to tend to things until Monday

but you can definatly call anytime-----everything will go to my cell just call the shop
    330-540-7223 and if I don't answer LEAVE YOUR NUMBER and I will call you back

Brad