Default Flat Tappet Cam Cores?

Who tends to supply the best Flat Tappet Cam cores and lifter combinations?

Comp Cam lobe lock Nascar core and Precision Products tool steel lifters.

I've had alot of q.c. problems with comp cams over the years...although not a chevy application they seem to forget how to manufacture things at times that they have been making for over 30 years.....Flat tappet or roller...again not a chevy but make sure you look things over good from Comp Cams...They have always made it right but they are problems we shouldn't have to deal with....

You do as much business as Comp does you are bound to make a few mistakes.I received one roller from them that didn't have the fuel pump lobe ground.Only mistake I have received from them in hundreds of cams.

give Richard a call at isky racing cams

good cores

good cams

best springs

never had an issue with a flat cam or core issue from Isky

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    You do as much business as Comp does you are bound to make a few mistakes.I received one roller from them that didn't have the fuel pump lobe ground.Only mistake I have received from them in hundreds of cams.
    It's been way more than a few mistakes unfortunetly..and not limited to me...but i still like their products and use them...
    Last edited by Hurst390; 06-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.

dealt with comp years ago, ran into a couple of cams that went flat for no reason and then had two that in two seperate engines where the engine timing would need to be set at one timing to start and when you changed it to where it needed to be to run properly it would then not start......tried everything with ignition...to no avail. cam change fixed the issue in both motors.....have not used comp since and that has been many many years ago.

Give Mike at Jones Cams designs a call, he can fix you up.
    Josh K.

I have used quite a few of the lobe lock cores which have worked great, I also use a lot of the P-55 cam cores and last would be the K-15 cam core.

Most of my higher end builds now I go to the BBC cam tunnel and go to the BBC jounal size cams and they work great for high rocker ratios when your up to 1.7 and 1.8 rockers.

No matter who you go with, the break in procedure will determine what your engine performance will be. I have been lucky enough to test cams for a number of manufacturers in an effort to determine if the changes in oil are responsible for cam / lifter issues.

I can say without a doubt that Zinc, Lead, Ti, or Nano-Molecules are not needed to prevent lobe death on any big lift flat tappet. Yes they do help in break-in and long term wear but they are not required. I ran a couple hundred flat tappet profiles thru my cam eater and found that the initial break in was the key element in preserving camshafts. I ran the cams with different oils and different spring pressures and sent the stuff off for analysis but I could see with the naked eye and by the dyno loading of the engines what was happening.

You don't have to even hurt the cam much at all to take away the first little bit of the profile and from that point on you can be down 5-10%, would you ever notice it in the car??? Doubt it cause unless you knew you missed it to start with you would not know it was not there.

How many engine builders worry when a projected 550HP engine is off 20-30hp ???

Bad thing is they keep going down from there and it can be one or multiple cylinders with problems.
    16 lobe = 16 possible problems.

Bolt on top end Cam doctor can tell you a lot especially if you know how to use it.

My advice to you is buy the best cam you can afford and find out a successful break-in procedure from someone who has been doing it for a while. I learned my process from "Fat-Boy" James Lyles and have not deviated from it in 25 years. It takes about 4-6 hours; One rocker change and one valve spring change hours and 4 oil changes and 4 filters but it works.

It's not lobe wear I am concerned about . it is breakage. Never had breakage problems till had to start running a RPM chip rule.

Default DYNO cams

I know that Dyno cams in NC were make camshafts for a lot of nascar teams for several years even hendricks. They have multiple computer controlled cam grinders (dont remember the name of them but were over a million each......so if you some specs they can grind it, talk to randy and he can help you out on any cam from go-karts,lawn mower race engines, and any other thing you can come up with........they are great guys there number is 910-655-9035

Steelhead

Flat tappet cams are cast iron and will break if you run too much spring pressure or float the valves.The lobe lock core is the strongest you can get without going to a billet steel core.But then you need special lifters.

Go to a BBC cam core if it will clear the rods!!!

No doubt if you can afford to have your cam tunnel bored out to bb chevy or 50mm size that is the way to go but if you can't afford it then the lobe lock core is the way to go.