Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crew/team...

No but i might as well be.....been with her for 13 years, so i guess really, yeah i am. LOL!!! Ok here goes the kicker.......i honestly think she loves racing more than i do!!! If we get rained out at our local track she wants to know what other track are we going to that night to watch or race. Not to mention the fact that she and her sister, thats right, her SISTER, used to own and operate a go kart track!!! Where most women want to shop, she wants to race!!!! She had a choice to go get a cabin in the mts for vacation or go to the world finals in charlotte......do i need to say what she chose? We will be in section 408 just outside of turn 4 in November!!! Good luck to ya!!
    I can't believe you haven't married that gal, Twister!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I can't believe you haven't married that gal, Twister!
    She feels the same way!!!! LOL!!

lets see sunday wash the cars & tires 4hrs,monday after work look over whole car,look for broken or worn parts and take notes if setup was better or not 4hrs,tues order parts welding ect 2-6hrs,wed a break if were lucky,thursday get new parts put together 4-6hrs,friday tires tires and more tires,scale if needed and check front end 4-6hrs,sat load trailor,coolers,tires,tools,2 cars,ect9-12 go to the local track 4-12or1 am, o chit sundays here again!!! and thats if we dont wreck the car or cars,
    as for the crew lets see,me me me me and me again and lets not forget my sons racing now and most of thats me too,man i need a new job so i can take it easy!!!!! of coarse thanks to my famdamily for there help and support,and all the other people (racing family)in the pits,couldnt and wouldnt do it without ya
    Last edited by grt74; 07-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Nice post Billet.....

I spend about 20hrs/week on my modified to race weekly if I bring it home in one piece. Biweekly if I don't. I have a good welder friend that can come over once in a while. My wife helps by raising our son while I do the shop work. I do almost all the work by myself and would LOVE some help by a trusted individual but I still go to the track alone sometimes and ask for help loading and loading an open trailer by others pitting close to me willing to help. My sister is indispensable, as my family's moral support. I insist my kids have shoes for school rather than trophy's on the mantle and honestly, professionally driving dreams are so few and far between it a pretty poor bet in life to make when you kid grows up dumb because you spent his resources chasing engine power and new tires racing against local idiots who choose to tear up everything every week just like their fathers did spending education money on themselves. I do the best that I can with what I have and take pride in what I can accomplish with shop time and a hobbyist capital. I hate getting beat with money but no one will beat me in resourcefulness and a willingness to do my best with what I do have.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 07-26-2012 at 02:50 PM.

During the week its all me(owner/driver/h.n.i.c). I usually spend about 3-4 nights per week preparing the car as long as nothing was tore up bad.
    I spend about 3.5hrs on Sunday washing everything and putting it all away.

At the track my girlfriend and my dad help out and occasionally we have someone else.

My dad has worked on racecars for the past 45 years and told me a few years ago he was ready to hang it up. His knees bother him and he worries
    that he'll forget to tighten the lug nuts. He still hangs in there, but I know the day is coming when I won't have his help anymore. I got no clue what
    I will do then. He's been to almost every single one of my races for the past 20yrs.

I build my own bodies, do my own graphics work, and straighten my own frames when needed.

Racing is too much hard work for most people and few are willing to make the sacrifices it takes to run good. You have got to be dedicated to it or you
    are wasting your time & money.

Throughout the week it's mostly me. My girlfriend will occasionally help beat out a body or something but not weekly. If nothing breaks I wash it real good and put it up on Sunday. I start working on throughout the week when I get home from work. I will usually spend anywhere between 5 and 6 hours in the garage fixing things when it gets torn up. If nothing is torn up then usually 3 to 4 hours per night going over a checklist I have.

Sometimes I'll just lay under the car doing nothing for 10 or 20 minutes. I can't tell you how many things I've found bent or cracked by doing this.

During race night it's usually me and my girlfriend's Dad. I have some other teams that help if it's a real bad issue or a flat tire.

It's amazing how much time some of the "menial tasks" like checking rod ends or fluids takes until you do it yourself, by yourself week in and week out. Be greatful if you have a Dad there to help you along!

[QUOTE

Sometimes I'll just lay under the car doing nothing for 10 or 20 minutes. I can't tell you how many things I've found bent or cracked by doing this.

[/QUOTE]

especially if your laying on a creeper , i have (of course by accident) done a few eyelid checks during this time also, LOL

Me and the driver does most of the work in the shop I work 1st he works 3rd. Yeah we text a lot. But we have a check list sheet we check off and sign. At the track we have 3 more that show up to help. But they only do what we ask them to do. I do most of the wrenching at the track too. We spend over 20 hours a week just in the shop doing maintenance and clean up. Just to race one night a week.

the last full season in a late model i ran was in 010 i made every race and every practice at county line i finished 7th in points. i was the only crew member and i drove it. my mom went to the race on sat night w me in case i got hurt that was it really. spent two hours a night on car and however long friday night and sat sometimes till 3 or 4 in morning. all day on sat. only thing i did on sunday was unload and wash the car real good for the work week.

i was proud of what we got but was too hard for one man wont do it again that way. as the driver its not healthy to know and be thinking about the work involved when taking a risk. i probably let a few passes go because i didn want a tore up car and you cant think that way. or being super pissed because not only do i have to buy new parts but i have to install them too. jmo i was a little over my head by myself

Default Crew members

When I ran my modified in a weekly show I did the wrenching,building the motors in the off season, welding ,chaasis setup,calls at track.

Weekly time spent about 10 hours split into a couple days.

Driver paid weekly bills so if he tore it up it got into his wallet not mine.

Driver drank beer and bullsh*ted with whom ever came by.

One guy did body work only and was extra hand when i needed him.

Two gals on the crew to wash car set up trailer and sat around for us to ogle at (both had big brains if you know what I'm talking about).

One other crew guy to tighten bolts set tire air pressure and drink beer with driver.

During the offseason I tore the car down by myself did all the upgrades or major repairs.

I think it worked out pretty well as we did come close to winning one championship ( missed it by 2 points) one year but the rest we were in the hunt until the last week of the season 7 out of 8 years with the lowest finish 4th.

its usually 2 of us at the shop and about 5 at the track. we spend most days after 5 working till about 8 and all day sturday 8 until we go to the track