Thread: 602 cooling?

Default 602 cooling?

602 out of crate ,serpentine belt system,18" 4 blade fan, double pass rad. which I clean every week and soak it every 3 weeks out of car, car while idling barely builds any heat can go out for hot laps may get to 190 in 5 or 6 laps,qualifying no problem,we ru 20 lap feature runs cool til about 1/2 way if we stay green then wants to creep to 230 never loses any water but have had to pull up to get a caution in order to not have to pull off for the night as soon as i pull up or a caution does come out or if we only run a few laps and caution etc. car will cool right down to 200 and stay there for few laps then start to creep after a few laps to 210-215-220-225and to 230 if run 8 to 10 green flag laps. I bought a dominator shroud this week fitted it up and have it mounted fan was 1" away from rad. have 2" fan spacer blades are all inside shroud by 1/2" to 3/4" do i need to take fan spacer off or cut 1" or so off mounting surface of shroud against radiator? Run straight water with royal purple coolant additive in it also. Any help appreciated.

Default belt slipping

#1 cause of overheating during a race with a serpentine system is slippage

when you say it cools down when the caution comes out is a perfect indicator of that as well.

just because a serpentine belt (or any belt) feels tight doesn't mean it is doing its job

worn pulleys and/or belts can be tight and still slip

simple test:
    turn the fan by hand in the rotation direction (clock wise when looking from front) with all the plugs in the heads--------the crank should turn a few degrees (at least 10) before the belt starts to slip

an engine with good rings and valve springs will not continually turn over but should turn 10 degrees when belt tension and condition are correct

Brad

Thanks Brad belt is slipping just checked it and pulled fan and with very little effort slipped easily.Pullies were brand new at begining of year ribs on belt look good and pullies look good may be able to snug it up a little more ,how tight caN I GET AWAY WITH and how about shroud ? I asked is is this gonna be ok or do I need to address this?Thx,Andy

Thanks AGAIN Brad bottom bolt on p/s pump had became a little loose tightened this up and put tension on mount and now can do as you said it should be turn crank before it slips.

mr guru,..need that fan half in an half out of shroud,..shortin that spacer up some,..its ok to get back off the radiator with a good shroud!