Default REM Polished Gears

Looking to build a new quick change out of spare bell and center section. It needs a new ring and pinion set and am wondering if there is any true advantage to REM polishing as well as to lightening. Do they sell them with the polish and not lightened? It seems that the ones I find that are REM'd are also lightened.

The application is a two barrel asphalt late model. Just over 500hp. Quarter master 8 rib bells and full size center. Is it worth it?

It will make a large difference in friction and heat in the unit and it will free up a few hp. If you can get them at a decent price I would do it.

I'd have to add that getting a lightened ring gear is not a bad idea either. The less rotating weight, the better off you are. Most lightened setups are good for 600HP+ so it's not anything you would have to worry about breaking if that was a concern.

There is an advantage to the REM... REM ® Isotropic Superfinish has been proven to decrease drag and friction while increasing the efficiency, effective horsepower, durability, and extending component life. Studies have shown a 95% reduction in gear wear compared to non ISF processed components.

Tiger Rear Ends sells the ring and pinion polished, unpolished, lightweight or not. Or if you already have a ring and pinion, REM finish it for you. www.tigerquickchange.com

You can buy whatever you want and have it REM'd. Having tested 30+ ring gear sets you might want to do a little resarch into which manufacturer you use as the type of gear and how it is made contribute to the HP it takes to turn it Rem'd or not.

Gear width along with pitch and back cut determine how the oil will travel and exit the gear so that should be a consideration also. Many times gears that have been cut down actually create more HP loss due to the increased aeration of the lube and the extra windage caused. If you do get cut gears you might want to have your rear end assembled by somebody that know how to deal with the extra fluid slosh.

None of the stuff mentioned above is cheap but spending $1000-1500 extra in the right rear-end parts is only a fraction of what you would spend to find 20-30RWHP elsewhere in the car.

There are another couple pages of considerations on what creates HP or eliminates HP loss in a rear end. I have covered prolly 1/2 of them in other posts.

I get my 9 inch gears from rcr and roush. most every one has the ream treatment and after loosing a pinion seal and loosing most of the lube I took the 3rd member out checked the gears and everything looked as if ther was never a problem.the coating did it's job and kept the gears from over heating and eating each other up.if you can afford the rem coated gears get em it's good insurance.

Check into Micro-Blue finishing and give them a call.