Default 4412 engine build

looking for help on building a motor that will be strictly for a 4412. looking into either a 383 or 406. what weight should i be looking for on crank, rods, pistons, and pointers would be appreciated. 3000 lb superstock class, 3 link suspension, imca g60 tire.

Callies CompStar Comet crank approx. 43lbs, K1 lightweight Honda Jrnl. Rods. Lightweight Forged pistons, with a thin ring pack (.043 or 1.2mm) Wiseco has a nice package. As much compression as you are able to get.
    Josh K.

go with the 400. use a dart shp block if allowed.

thanx guys, is anything over a 406 over kill? if im going to go with the shp block should i go bigger?

Carburetor will automaticaly limit how many cubic inches you should run.With a legal 4412 I wouldn't build any bigger than a 362ci.It doesn't matter how many cubic inches you can legally run,its what the carburetor can feed.

All that means is that your 362 is junk.

Default Stock Car Driver

What block are you using to fit the crank in? What clearances are needed to do to the block?
    Here in ump pee land we have to run GM blocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike Bulpitt

i thought the parts peddler retired? whats he doing on here talking non sense again???

Looks like your the dumb a$$ thats on here trying to sell parts.
    Last edited by perfconn; 10-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.

I'd say a 406 if you have a 400 block, otherwise a 396.

Don't wanna join in the fire above! LOL

But I have learned a couple things from building motors for 2 very competitive asphalt 4412 classes.

Small motor isnt better than a big inch motor and the big inch isnt better than the small motor. I know y'all are thinking.."thats about stupid!" Hear me out. Each one has to be built and geared different than the other with the 2bbl. For the best small motor 4412 setup you need to build like a restrictor plate engine. Light weight parts, push compression limits, and very large heads and intake plenum. Based on math alone we know a smaller CID will turn more rpm with a cfm restriction compared to the big inch. Large runners and matching components will work together at the higher rpm. Just gear to match.
    The big motor needs built with torque in mind. Port velocities become more important. The cubes alone will add torque and you have to capitalize on that. Smaller runners and longer strokes will help. On the dyno a 4412 421 would pull hard to about 6700. Then the drop was drastic. But the torque curve is what rocked it.
    Thats my opinions from my experiences and I'm not claiming to be right. I'm just sharing what I have learned. Good luck, Jr

I agree with Parot. Theoretically and by using physics the smaller cubic inch is capable of putting more power to the wheels, but driver preference matters.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

i was always tought you don't feel hp. but torque you do.

what gets you off the corner and down the straight? torque
    62 mini mod

The old engine builders saying goes "You buy horsepower and drive torque"

I like my small cube motor in many ways but I like a good torque motor for different reasons. So I gotta agree with "driver preference".