Thread: burnt pushrods

Default burnt pushrods

why is this happening. tips are burnt up bad on only the r/s right bank only 23 degree motor. didn happen untill we ran motor at the track. started it in shop for 3 weeks w no problems till we hot lapped car. pbm lifters cv 3/8 pushrods jesel rockers w about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out on adjusters geometry is right the wheel starts on inside of tip rolls to outside and back. burnt up one set under first practice. cleaned it up replaced rocker cups and put a new set of pushrods in this time they were trend 5/16 .080 pushrods ran it the next day and happened again. i used torco red assembly lube when assembled lash was set at .020 int .025 ex. all the adjuster nuts were tight all jesel nuts were tight when dissassembled. has psi 1043 springs set up at 2.00 installed height and i have .030 between retainer and seal.
    -is there a rocker side and lifter side to pushrods?

There is likely an oiling problem causing your issue. Get out the pump primer and check the oiling on that bank. There could be several things going on. What's your block configuration? Stock block and stock lifter bore? Do you have restrictors in the back of the block?Wet sump engine with what pan? Pump? What oil pressures are you seeing on track?I've also seen this when you try to run too much rocker on an agressive lobe.What cam? Rocker ratio?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Your on the right track Let-R-Eat. Most likely its the oil rail in the block that supplies the lifters on that bank. I have seen that recently on one push rod. The cause was a lifter that wasn't drilled. You have a whole bank. You will have to pull engine. Remove plugs to that side of the cam front and rear. Also remove those lifters. Look thru that galley. If nothing is blocking that one the the feed from the cam to that galley has the problem. BTW are you using restrictors?

no restrictors bowtie block penzoil racing oil 100 psi at idle motor is already pulled w manifold off and pan off will check out the lifters and block and get back to you. its a std oiling setup drysump i was not there to prime the motor so i will make sure oil comes out of the rockers this time. also its a 1.7 1.8 ratio w .415 lobe lift. the only thing restricting oil is the drain backs above the cam have tall vent tubes. ill find it just gonna take a little time and money

Is the Jesel rocker design the one thats oiled thru the adjuster and the two holes have to align?

What two holes

I dont remember what brand. I did a set of shaft rockers and there was a setup procedure for a set range for the adjuster. If it was too far either direction the oiling hole wouldnt line up between the rocker main body and the adjuster. I think the correction was a different length push rod. Maybe I'm thinking about the trunnion getting oil??
    Foggy on that one; too many beers since then.

i think thats why jesel roccomends 2 or three turns out max either that or theyl break im not sure but thats what they recomend.

You'll find the problem. Is the block being fed through oil filter adapter? Or did somebody cobble it up and feed front and back?Has the combination ran before? Or is this something new?-12 line nice and as straight as possible to filter housing preferably is fine.What part number lifter are you running?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Jesel recommends not more than 2 turns out because the adjuster will break.Nothing to do with oiling.The adjuster has an oiling hole all the way through it.

Get a new motor man if it takes this long to look at a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Another thing to check is to make sure the pipe plugs are put in behind the cam gear. If someone left one of those out....all the oil will go straight through the galley and out the front of the block with little to no oil going up the push rods.
    Good suggestion,, I ran into one of these once.

Anyone know how much oil will leak out the large cam plug? SBC with HV/HP oil pump, new engine. Came in as a rear main leak, cam plug missing.
    One drop every 5 seconds. I thought it would be more.
    Last edited by DaveBauerSS6; 11-22-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Default burnt pushrods

This happened to me several years ago.....it ended up being the fault of the heads, one head was not clearanced enough where the pushrods passing thru the head they would rub and bind, without bending, but burning the hell out of the tips.

lol i am the motorman dave i have a day job ya know and i know i know dont quit it lol??? but your still right too stressful let the pros do it next time. it was determined that there was a lash problem on the one side everything else checks out no oil problem no geometry problem pushrods not rubbing onlything it could have been was lash was too much 10 of pushrods lived the first time then when replaces w second set of pushrods the cups must have been damaged too on one of them because it did it again on one pr so we are calling it human error the first time and stupid human error the second time. got all new pushrods n cups over the holiday pulled pan and manifold and double checked everything looked ok reprimed and restarted ok no problems yet but wont go to the track for a while. murphys law got us again

Andy,
    Better keep looking.Too much lash won't burn pushrods.I had a Cam Dynamics roller cam that John Lingenfelter had me running it with. 040 valve lash.Ran fine never hurt anything.Cam card called for. 020 lash.

Quote Originally Posted by andy16 View Post
    lol i am the motorman dave i have a day job ya know and i know i know dont quit it lol??? but your still right too stressful let the pros do it next time. it was determined that there was a lash problem on the one side everything else checks out no oil problem no geometry problem pushrods not rubbing onlything it could have been was lash was too much 10 of pushrods lived the first time then when replaces w second set of pushrods the cups must have been damaged too on one of them because it did it again on one pr so we are calling it human error the first time and stupid human error the second time. got all new pushrods n cups over the holiday pulled pan and manifold and double checked everything looked ok reprimed and restarted ok no problems yet but wont go to the track for a while. murphys law got us again
    Did you run the motor with the valve cover off and see how much oil was running? Pull both and compare?

I agree with these two. The one the done it due to the undrilled lifter, the owner didnt have cash to change it all out. Just the push rod and went. That Motor just put in 200 laps on 1/2 mile high bank Salem Speedway! Well make that like 195 or so.....his gear choice was very bad and went laps down! But the pushrod and cup were fine after. Check for oil with covers off at least!

Make sure distributor depth is accurate @ manifold hole,....if distributor shaft oil galley sealing rings are not in proper place , they will block oil galley transfer at back of block, motor will not receive adequate oiling to both banks.

Quite often oil restrictors are installed in the small hole that goes from under the rear cam bearing down to the lifter galleries. One of these could be partially or completely clogged. You could check the right side by spinning the oil pump with the dist out and lok down to see how much oil is coming out of the galley hole.
    www.t39racer.com
    Hightower Racing Transmissions
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    JT-1 Racing Engines