Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Once Walmart stops growing, expanding, or whatever you wish to call it, it will start to lose market share. Another competitor will topple it from the top.

I see no one answered my question, which is probably the answer to my question....

Ya know, a fork lift operator isn't worth anymore then 8 to 10 bucks an hour, so why would you pay anymore then that for one? (at one point in my life I was one) I have a friend of mine that makes close to 80K driving a forklift. Seriously? And were supposed to compete with other countries for market share?

Same difference for Wally World, they pay their employees what their worth. If you shop Wally World, and I do, there are a fair amount of the employees that are well over paid at minimum wage. And the ones carrying them are the ones being cheated. But thats life, ain't it...

Quote Originally Posted by t.nie View Post

I used to be a manager in the grocery store business. One day the Deli guy and I were talking and his comment was "We have 150 people who work here, if every one of them did their weekly shopping here at roughly $100 a person per week, we are guaranteed our first $15000 of gross before we even open. I don't understand why so many people who work here don't shop here." My reply was it was because most couldn't afford to, the wages in retail were so low industry wide that most people working in retail are the lower earners and have to go where the prices are cheapest. Sad but true. Our workers were not our target market, we aimed to attract a higher earning clientele and our prices reflected the earning potential of our customers.

You may not realize it, but there are grocery chains out there that deliberately price themselves out of the market for the bottom dwellers of the economy because people who are doing well do NOT want to rub shoulders with "the riff-raff" when they go to the grocery store.
    Your 100% correct, its called marketing. I do it myself. I know where my place in the market I'm in. As long as I don't stray out of it to much I do just fine. When I mess with the big boys, I get slapped. Nothing personal, its just business.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    I see no one answered my question, which is probably the answer to my question....

Ya know, a fork lift operator isn't worth anymore then 8 to 10 bucks an hour, so why would you pay anymore then that for one? (at one point in my life I was one) I have a friend of mine that makes close to 80K driving a forklift. Seriously? And were supposed to compete with other countries for market share?

Same difference for Wally World, they pay their employees what their worth. If you shop Wally World, and I do, there are a fair amount of the employees that are well over paid at minimum wage. And the ones carrying them are the ones being cheated. But thats life, ain't it...
    There are markets in the US of A that will support well above average compensation for it's employee's, in this example fork lift drivers. These companies require a competitive advantage such as operating as an oligarchy or have some other barrier to keep competition from entering such as copyrights or patents. Two industries come to mind, the mining industry and the oil and gas fields in North Dakota (I'm sure there are others.)

When a company competes in a competitive market, such as retailing or grocery, then it has to closely watch it's expenses or it may lose competitiveness.

Do you want to know the truth about Wal=Mart/ Sams Club... My wife works at Sams... $19+ an hr as a cashier. matching 401k... Profit sharing... Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance...4 weeks paid vacation... 15% match stock option... and a retirement portfolio I bet few union jobs will touch... wanna tell more lies tnie?

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Race Cars View Post
    Do you want to know the truth about Wal=Mart/ Sams Club... My wife works at Sams... $19+ an hr as a cashier. matching 401k... Profit sharing... Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance...4 weeks paid vacation... 15% match stock option... and a retirement portfolio I bet few union jobs will touch... wanna tell more lies tnie?

My sister has a pretty close deal with Wal Mart too, but I get tired of tellin these "blinded by the light" fools.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by 15D View Post
    There are markets in the US of A that will support well above average compensation for it's employee's, in this example fork lift drivers. These companies require a competitive advantage such as operating as an oligarchy or have some other barrier to keep competition from entering such as copyrights or patents. Two industries come to mind, the mining industry and the oil and gas fields in North Dakota (I'm sure there are others.)

When a company competes in a competitive market, such as retailing or grocery, then it has to closely watch it's expenses or it may lose competitiveness.
    True, in a competitive market or arena, the wages will go up, and understandable, its the market. I saw commercials when I was in South Dakota a few weeks ago for McDonald's workers starting at 15 bucks an hour. No one wants to work in North Dakota, the weather sucks, they'd rather collect unemployment in Cally....

Wages are based on the arena where the business is. The same place here that pays $14 and hour pays $22 an hour in other areas.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

How come red states take more federal dollars than blue states?
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Race Cars View Post
    Wow, the way you make it sound, why would anyone be on food stamps working at Walmart? Yet the fact remains, a large percentage of Walmart workers are on food stamps, public healthcare, etc.

I don't doubt for a minute there are a few, very few, who are actually doing very well working for Walmart. This is exactly what the people who formed OUR Walmart say, they treat a few very well, and for most it is a dead end, poverty wage job with part time hours and no benefits.

And I would also tell you this: IF your wife is REALLY JUST a CASHIER, you better start getting your ducks in a row financially, because that is the most ridiculously overpaid and overbenefitted cashier I've heard of in a long time. Sooner or later, someone up the food chain is going to do the cost/benefit analysis on the employees in the store and they WILL decide they can fill her shoes at a chechout for half that money or less and not notice a single pennies loss to the overall store bottom line.

All she is now, IF what you say is true, is a financial liability and it is only a matter of time before she is out the door. Her time is coming, no doubt, and in all likelihood they will jack her around so bad she'll quit, which is exactly what they want so there will be no unemployment. It's coming. I guarantee it.

No checker in America at a Sams Club is worth over $50,000 a year in pay and benefits. Not one.

True, in a competitive market or arena, the wages will go up, and understandable, its the market. I saw commercials when I was in South Dakota a few weeks ago for McDonald's workers starting at 15 bucks an hour. No one wants to work in North Dakota, the weather sucks, they'd rather collect unemployment in Cally....
    Try to live on $15 an hour, no health benefits and less than 32 hours a week in North Dakota. The reality is you can't. Which is why no one takes the job.

You guys always take a smidgen of the whole picture and ignore the reality. Sure, it makes great headlines, but it doesn't reflect the truth.

Default Surley you can't serious

AND oh by the way some people can live on 16 bucks an hour part time

My sister has a pretty close deal with Wal Mart too, but I get tired of tellin these "blinded by the light" fools.

Duane
    We all get tired of your "head up your butt in darkness" foolishness too.

We aren't blinded by the light Duane. We see reality just fine. We just don't let people sell us bumper sticker slogans and Faux News spin, tea party nonsense or any other fine right wing creation of the imagination.

We have plenty of historical fact to look at when it comes time to make comparisons. We tried it the Republican way, a few hit the gold mine while the nation got the shaft. Thanks, but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LITE-INN View Post
    AND oh by the way some people can live on 16 bucks an hour part time
    Sure, 20 hours a week, plus food stamps and public assisted housing.. I bet you could make that work.
    Last edited by t.nie; 12-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Default maybe 3 percent unemployment might have something to do with it just like IL lmao

Try to live on $15 an hour, no health benefits and less than 32 hours a week in North Dakota. The reality is you can't. Which is why no one takes the job.

You guys always take a smidgen of the whole picture and ignore the reality. Sure, it makes great headlines, but it doesn't reflect the truth.
    http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.nd.htm

Sure, 20 hours a week, plus food stamps and public assisted housing.. I bet you could make that work.
    you must live higher on the hog than I do food stamps no nothing about publlic housing neither try again

We all get tired of your "head up your butt in darkness" foolishness too.

We aren't blinded by the light Duane. We see reality just fine. We just don't let people sell us bumper sticker slogans and Faux News spin, tea party nonsense or any other fine right wing creation of the imagination.

We have plenty of historical fact to look at when it comes time to make comparisons. We tried it the Republican way, a few hit the gold mine while the nation got the shaft. Thanks, but no thanks.
    yep you just hang out with the seiu gang and the black panthers

When are you moving to North Dakota for a McDonalds job then? Pays good, you can live on it. Go ahead, give them a call up there in Fargo, or Minot. Look in the yellow pages under Restaurants, it's spelled McDonald's, just like the burger chain. They are waiting to hear from you right now, seein's how you need a job and all that. Get in your car tomorrow, keep us all posted on how that goes for ya. You could set a trend here in the St. Louis area for the unemployed, show them the way to get work and make something of themselves. Post pictures when you get settled in, would love to see you on the grill, or maybe handing food over at the counter. Great job. Good benefits. You're missing out if you don't make that call.

Quote Originally Posted by LITE-INN View Post
    Do you have any idea what's going on in ND right now? Why they only have 3% unemployment?

Enlighten me. Oh wait, I already know. I still can't figure out why you aren't there, smart feller that you are and all that. Go where the money is, buddy. You only live once.

( Oh yeah, if you had the answer to that, you would also know why you can't LIVE ON $15 an hour working part time hours in North Dakota right now... and it has NOTHING to do with "unemployment in Cally" like your twin says.... Do some research... figure it out.... it aint hard...)
    Last edited by t.nie; 12-04-2012 at 07:06 PM.

http://nd.craigslist.org/search/apa?...Ask=&bedrooms=

some resources to help you pick out your new home... or you could get a shared room in a man camp, if that's all you can afford....