Default new guy looking for some pointer 2.3 build

hey guys got told to come over here and search for help on building a 2.3. done some search and there are alot of info wow. So here is my question on about 400 to 500 bucks what are some budget building things can i do to this motor. i would like to get to 125hp to 150hp natural aspirated if this can be done on this tight budget if not ok what can i expect to see. Spec on the motor/block is that it is bone stock out of a 78/79 mercury zephyr i will be running the stock auto tranny until i smoke it then i will be going to a 5 speed.This is going to be put in to a rat rod weighing around 2500 lbs 4.10 gears in a explore 8.8 running a rear tire right around a 30 to 31.thanks guys.

Default Cheap HP

Mill the head.Put a cam in it and the recommended springs.This will put you over your budget a little even if you do the work yourself but the most horsepower per dollar.
    Except for starting with a untouched V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokhound View Post
    hey guys got told to come over here and search for help on building a 2.3. done some search and there are alot of info wow. So here is my question on about 400 to 500 bucks what are some budget building things can i do to this motor. i would like to get to 125hp to 150hp natural aspirated if this can be done on this tight budget if not ok what can i expect to see. Spec on the motor/block is that it is bone stock out of a 78/79 mercury zephyr i will be running the stock auto tranny until i smoke it then i will be going to a 5 speed.This is going to be put in to a rat rod weighing around 2500 lbs 4.10 gears in a explore 8.8 running a rear tire right around a 30 to 31.thanks guys.
    Racedad is on point on this one! Cam w/ new followers and the correct valvesprings in a head with good valvejob and surface it to raise the compression

thanks guys i realize this subject has been beaten to death so thanks for the input. So in my quest for knowledge on this little motor found that i can run a 2 barrel mastercraft carb will this be good enough if i am able to cam this thing up. next would you build this head or look for the "d" ranger head?? And what cam would you run i know looking around that there not cheap but i guess if you want horse power its not going to be cheap. I am going to start looking for a turbo motor maybe to

Default Turbo rat rod !!!!!!!!!!!!

Try this guy for some neat stuff
    http://www.40bob.com/

there is nothing wrong with the head you have got(providing its crack free).
    loctite studs into the bottom intake bolt holes,mill .160 off it.

contact Jerry at Schneider Cams,and get one of his kits(cam,2pc hardened followers,valve springs)
    You will also want an adjustable cam pulley.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Be carefull about milling too much off the head.If you raise the compression ratio too much you will be forced to run racing fuel too avoid detonation.This is a street engine and with the gear ratio and rear tire size this engine will see lots of crusing time at or under 3000 rpm.Choose your set up carefully.

If this is a Rat Rod and street driven you do not want to mill the head to the intake bolt holes unless he wants to run $10.00 a gallon race gas. Not just that but if the motor is well used and not doing the bottom end will also lead to potential problems with high compression. I would have about .040 taken off the head and like what was mentioned contact Jerry at Schneider cams. You will get the right cam/kit you need. That should put you about 125-130hp range Make sure you have a mechanical advance distributor , The stock one from the donor motor is not a bad place to start and have fun. Turbo 4 cylinder rat rod would be a blast... Also you may want to look for the 5 speed now and get the cam that will work with a standard transmission to get a little more if you can from the start.

And I'm sure Esslinger Engineering could be of help in most areas also. -84Dave-

i would consider using the turbocoupe engine as others have mentioned. the last years were 175 hp. you can pick up turbocoupes fairly cheap usually. take everything from it, eng, trans, harness, pcm, etc. smooth idle and reliable hp. my 88 at 4000lbs would get up and move when the turbo came on so it should fly at 2500lbs. there a lot of parts to boost the hp if that isn't enough. mine was a 5 spd but the a4ld 4 spd auto trans were ok also.

olin

Default Add CC's

You can also pick up a 2.5 out of a 99 ranger and use the internals to get more cubes. should be able to find a short block for around $75 to $100. Also with the turbo setup you can always increase the boost for more HP. We did a Ranger for the street and was boosting it from 18 to 22 psi.
    Last edited by Wrencherer; 12-19-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Boost is the cheapest way to make great power. But ya gotta be careful! And a blow thru set up for carb would be expensive. You can always fuel inject it but there is more cost.

I would do the head milling and cam like some said. That will give the style you want for a rat.
    But for a carb I wouldn't use the motorcraft. Find you a good and cheap 350 holley 2bbl. I got one on trade the other day if ya have trouble finding one. And you should be able to find an old school breather thats beat up or rusty to fit it.

If it was me I would boost but I tend to build the show cars at Frog Follies instead of the rats. But I have friends that rat so if ya need anything holler. PM me and I'll be glad to help.