Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fan?

Default Cooling fan?

I have been running real warm to hot all year 220+. I am looking to get a new fan. I have a 4 blade 15" now. I have the front of the grill cut out with screen. It does get clogged with mud. Fan shroud around it. And about 2" away from radiator with a 2" spacer . I am thinking I need a bigger fan.... Thanks

I learned last year that the cheap replacement 4-blades dont work as well. Get a bigger GM! huge difference.

What are you running for a water pump? Pulley ratios? May be more issues.

Definitely install the big GM fan as stated it will make a huge difference. When all working properly with the cooling system, you will not even need to cut an opening in the front nose piece. We stopped cutting holes in the front years ago and neither one of our cars run over 200 temp no matter what the outside temp.

Mike Bulpitt 26B

Stewart WP and 1:1 pulleys... I don't turn but about 6100 rpm's. What is the part number on the big fans? or What did they come on? And how many blades? Thanks

4 blade GM fan is 19 inches and the part number is 405442
    CV Products has a copy of the GM for 1/2 the price.

I checked on CV's website... could not find them... What did they come on? So I will know what I am looking for. If I run across on in the junk yard...

Quote Originally Posted by SRT17 View Post
    I checked on CV's website... could not find them... What did they come on? So I will know what I am looking for. If I run across on in the junk yard...
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-807.../dp/B000IZ26E0

best price ive found on the gm fan.

They came on a six cylinder but I wouldn't be buying parts at a junkyard to put on a racecar.

ebay use that part #, little high at 100.00 dollars. but nothing compares to one

I saw the one on amazon... But wasn't sure if it was the same one... LOL... Almost everything I get comes from the junkyard or second hand.... This is poor boy racing....

We bought ours from the local Pontiac, GM truck dealership. I think about 60bucks. I sure would spend 60 to 100 bucks to save thousand of dollars on a motor. That would be SMART poor boy racing!

Mike

I dont have a problem paying 60 for the fan. But if I can get the same fan for 40. If it is the same.... That is the way I will go... That way I have money left for used LM tires... LOL... Now that is SMART poor boy racing.... Only things I got from the junkyard were motor,rear end, and driveshaft...I put ALL new parts inside them...

At 6100 rpm an old fan suffering from metal fatigue will do a lot of damage when it slings a blade off.Trust me I've seen it happen.You won'tbe saving $20

So is the one on Amazon the same one? Numbers match but I didn't know if it was the same quality...I just don't understand how they sell them for 40 when everybody is asking 60-120. I was just giving you a hard time about the junkyard fan... LOL... There are places I can get by with cheaper parts... But NOT when it comes to safety... I would hate to be checking timing and one come apart.... That could be UGLY....

Don't know if the one on Amazon is the same.I always bought mine from GM dealer part number 405442 until they got so high.I switched to the CV Products fan several years ago.There part number is CV1519 and it is 19inch with 32* pitch.

I have always had good luck using those inexpensive black nylon fans... as large as practical... never any overheating problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...echanical-fans
    Last edited by Krooser; 12-30-2012 at 09:12 AM.

I have had good luck running these 4 blade fans, 18 or 19 inch is what I run, and running only water and a bottle of Water Wetter in the radiator. The Water Wetter makes a difference in the temp.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search...blade-fan.html
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

-Thanks to Danica Patrick, I am not the worst stock car driver from Illinois.-No but you may well be the most jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT17 View Post
    So is the one on Amazon the same one? Numbers match but I didn't know if it was the same quality...I just don't understand how they sell them for 40 when everybody is asking 60-120. I was just giving you a hard time about the junkyard fan... LOL... There are places I can get by with cheaper parts... But NOT when it comes to safety... I would hate to be checking timing and one come apart.... That could be UGLY....
    yes its the same fan. gm pricing is stupid. same gm part in an ac delco box is normally 1/2 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    -Thanks to Danica Patrick, I am not the worst stock car driver from Illinois.-No but you may well be the most jealous.
    butatleast he looks old enough to drive