Default roller tip rocker arms and polylocks

I decided to upgrade my stock rocker arms to roller tips, and using polylocks. I thought I had everything done correctly, but at my first race, one of the rocker arms came really loose, and several others had a lot of play in them. What is the correct way to set the valves using roller tip rocker arms? Is it different from the stock ones? ANd should I have the polylock out while I tighten the nut, and then inset the polylock after it is set? Thanks for any advice.

The lock needs to be installed while setting the valves. I set the lash with the poly lock nut and then tighten the set screw. Next I tighten the poly lock and set screw togethor to finish the lash. This way locks the set screw against the top of the stud with enough tension to kee it from backing out.

My experiance shows me that setting lash and just tightening the set screw will cause the rockers to bak off. They also gain lash after the set screws are tightened.

Set them all and the recheck to make sure the lash hasn't changed.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

So to make sure I understand, you:

1. Set 0 lash with the poly nut
    2. Tighten the set screw
    3. Tighten both an additional 1/2 turn?

Not 1/2 turn. It won't tighten that much without hurting something. Is it a hydraulic cam? If so then set it to within a eigth of a turn, lock set screw, and finish tightening the "set" the other 1/8 turn.

If it's a flat tappet cam, I set the feeler gauge in place, tighten the poly lock by hand to remove the slack, tighten the set screw with allen wrench, and then finish setting lash by tightening the poly lock set up.

If you are still confued by my posting, PM me your phone number and I can try to talk you through it.

its a hydraulic cam. I think I understand. Set 0 lash plus 1/8th turn. tighten set screw. turn aother 1/8th. If that's right, I will try that!

That's the right idea. Play with it a little. The adjustment may vary a little from that setting but it will be a close starting point.