Thread: Steering ratio

Default Steering ratio

I been around long enough I should know this but I don't. What box ratio and/or quickner do I use to make the steering on a modified as quick as a late model with a 3.75 - 4" rack?

A standard GM box is 16:1, Camero box is 12:1. Sweet makes an8-1 box and a 6-1 box. The two quickeners are 2-1 and 1.5-1.

Hope you get the info your looking for from that. My 8-1 box is a little over 1-1/4 turns lock to lock
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Default Steering ratio

We have a 8-1 sweet on our car. Don't have to use quickner, has different feel than stock. 8-1 is plenty quick, tried a car with 6-1 and felt too twitchy to us.

John

I am going to answer my own post just so others will know. Done some checking and here is what I found. A 8:1 box moves the drag link 4" per turn (same as a LM with a 4" rack) but still slower because of the steering arms being longer on the stock spindle, so for my particular application it takes a 6:1 box. Thanks for the reply's but now I realize that was to broad of a question too many variables with pitman arm and steering arm lengths.