Default question on blowing head gaskets

My question is I have to race emg m0tors a 2.5 and a 2.7 compression about 230 they both after about three racea on a head gasket blow preaaure in to the water system and the hoses swell run it about five races change it good till it starts again on both motors any ideas do I need a special gasket for there motors?

Tried a few diff heada and nothing even new block on the 27 and havent ran it since cause I got sick of changing em

We o-ring the deck on all our hi-po engines, and NEVER have to worry about headgasket failures. We use the standard Felpro 8993PT-1 cheepie headgasket too!

We had a problem with the Cometic Head Gaskets doing that after a few heat cycles we rechecked the head stud/nut torque and that seems to fix it maybe coincidence?

Tryed new head studds I just change em but it gets old changing gaskets amd studs every five races

when I was racing we had HG issues my friend hooked me up with his motor guy he had me back the timing down and use a better grade of fule [detonating] also if you are putting the same head back on with out checking it and not with a straight edge, what are you taking the bolts to and what is your sequence is the gasket blowing in the same place he started building my motors and we never had any issues after that we were down to 40cc and never blew one after the changes he still does some motors I think he is in your neck of the woods he had a black car #15 that thing had a hell of a motor for a 2.5

New studs every time and diff gaskets and bramds and the right seq and two totally diff motors from diff people amd four diff heads all do same thing ? Not high enough octane or to high of timing but standdard 34

What fuel? What size head chamber? 34 shouldn't be too excessive on a steel headed engine.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

are you shortening the alignment sleeves and adding an extra washer on your studs?

olin

thats a idea maybe I need new alingment pins and short em and yes they had washers but idk if they was shorted or that could be the prob to long ?

Default rrad

I run 110 klotz

how much is milled off your heads?...since you run racing fuel it must be quite a bit,if you havent shortened the locator sleeves then yes it will blow head gaskets...as car as timing,we run 38 degrees with 5.7 rods
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Yes there may be 2 thousands left before intake threads and ok anyone know where u can get new alingment pins and what spec ahould they cut down too

Quote Originally Posted by pilotracer View Post
    Yes there may be 2 thousands left before intake threads and ok anyone know where u can get new alingment pins and what spec ahould they cut down too
    Esslinger makes/ sells them, or you can just shorten the ones you already have...

can anyone tell me the difference between the 8993PT-1 and 1035 felpro head gaskets? also where can i get my hands on locator sleeves? A motor i bought didnt have any

Quote Originally Posted by camarofever View Post
    can anyone tell me the difference between the 8993PT-1 and 1035 felpro head gaskets? also where can i get my hands on locator sleeves? A motor i bought didnt have any
    The 8993PT-1 head gasket is a standard folded fire ring style gasket with a 3.920" bore and it's .051" thick when compressed.

The 1035 head gasket has a stainless wire inside the fire ring. It also has a 3.920" bore and is .051" thick when compressed. The stainless wire inside the fire ring creates a higher clamp load in that area because it doesn't compress as far as a standard fire-ring, but that also imparts more stress into the head and block causing them to deform over time... Also, the 1035 have been discontinued but are still available in some warehouses due to their slow sales.

If you are looking for head locator dowels, call Esslinger Engineering, they manufacture short ones.

Just remove the same amount off of the alignment dowls.
    The 8993 head gasket is .045 compressed where as the 1045 is .041 compressed. (per Fel Pro specs) There is also a gasket made by Corteco which is .051 compressed however it is also a slightly smaller ID. Also do not over torque these heads, if you do you may distort the top of the block and be sure to use a torque plate.