Thread: Header Gaskets

Default Header Gaskets

Who makes header gaskets for a 604 i know of schoenfeld? Is there a fel-pro number? Cometic?

Maybe Brad Hibbard can help ya out. I have heard of some "special" gaskets that gain like 6 hp.

felpro 1470 is the only good gasket they make

I disagree baauto1------the felpro is a good gasket but the schoenfeld (01560) works just as well at half the price

as for a "special" gasket that gains power----thats a new one on me BUT a leaking gasket will cut power

something that we commonly see is silicone that is hanging in the port------
    you might as well pull a plug wire off----its just as bad

if there is a problem with failing header gaskets-------fix the problem don't squeeze half a tube of silicone on it

the biggest reason header gaskets fail is the bolts are loose-----find a bolt style that you can get a box wrench on and keep them tight

there is 1 more gasket out there sold by allstar---it is part number 87266 and sells for $12 a pair
    I bought 1 set and they fit fine but looked kind of cheap in quality so I wasn't going to use them but one day a customer came in and I was out of both the felpro and schoenfeld so I gave him the allstar's and said let me know how long they last-----he just came in over new years and said they lasted all year--"never had a problem"

so I might take another look at them----sometimes things are a little better than they appear

felpro--1470
    schoenfeld---01560
    allstar---87266

those are the only ones that I know of that fit and fit is VERY VERY important

hope that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

I didn't ask what brand the "special" gasket was. The key words from the guy that ran them was "special, 6HP, and $80" so I guess whatever header gasket cost $80 are the ones to get. LOL

my question is----how can a header gasket "make" power?

if it blows out it will cost power-----if it restricts the flow from the port to the header in any way it will cost power

I don't know either, the guy that told me borrowed a complete 604 setup from another racer to try in his IMCA modified. Claimed the engine made close to 480 HP too. Now granted neither one of these drivers won a race with the Crate engine last year. I figured if there was any high tech "special" gasket floating around for a Crate engine you would be the one to know.

Did anyone ask dynoman yet?