Default clutch pedal for bert transmission

what is the easiest way to get a full petal when changing the master cylinder. It is one of the first generation berts without the ballspline.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeracing View Post
    what is the easiest way to get a full petal when changing the master cylinder. It is one of the first generation berts without the ballspline.
    Best thing we've found that makes the biggest difference is to make sure the bleeder is opened up ALL the way ween bleeding. Don't just crack. Doesn't seem like it would matter but we've done it both ways and it seems to make a big difference.
    My theory is that it's just because there is less built up pressure than when we're bleeding the brakes because I'm paranoid about damaging the clutch pack with excessive pressure.

I assume you are talking about the bleeder on the transmission , I have been told to crack the line at the master cylinder and let the air come back out up there. I am having a heck of a time getting a pedal. I changed the fluid in the other master cylinder and have not been able to get a pedal back. I put a new one on and still having trouble getting a pedal. I will try that cause I was just cracking the bleeder. Thanks I have never had something like this kick my tail.

I assume you are talking about the bleeder on the transmission , I have been told to crack the line at the master cylinder and let the air come back out up there. I am having a heck of a time getting a pedal. I changed the fluid in the other master cylinder and have not been able to get a pedal back. I put a new one on and still having trouble getting a pedal. I will try that cause I was just cracking the bleeder. Thanks I have never had something like this kick my tail.
    If that don't work try a power bleeder (1 man bleeder)

I agree with bigk44------a hand held vaccum pump that you can get at just about any parts store for around $35 is the best friend you will ever have for that job

don't try to hook the pump directly to the bleeder as the fluid will ruin the pump-----use the resevour cup that comes with the pump-----read the instructions it is really simple and quick

I bought a big syringe type turkey baster from walmart for @ 2 bucks.put a piece of hose on the end of it,sucked it full of fluid,put the hose over the bleeder,cracked it open,took the cap off of the master cyl and injected it from the bottom,it blows the air from the bottom.works every time.

Could you not crack the tranny bleeder and let it gravity feed for a few days?

If you have pedal just not good pedal try either jacking the right side of the car up as high as you can or unbolt the trany and turn it so the bleeder is straight up. Another tip is to have someone push the pedal down slowly while you have the bleeder open and then close it before they let up, I have found that pumping the pedal when there is air in the system will sometimes aerate the brake fluid and make it hard to get all the air out.

The master cylinder needs to be bleed first; then the line with the trans. Take off the line from the mc, fill the reservoir, hold your finger over the outlet of the mc. Push down on the pedal slowly, air / fluid will come out, hold pressure on the outlet so the fluid is sucked in( finger is a check valve), continue until only fluid comes out, may take 3 to 6 tomes ,reconnect the hose. Bleed trans as usual.

Remember the pedal will not have any resistance until it hits the piston, run the motor to test.
    Gator Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    How are you judging if you have pedal? with the motor running to see if it works? I never have any pedal resistance its like pushing on nothing for the most part but it works.
    Helped a guy that said he had air in the line, he was bleeding it properly. He did'nt know there was that much easy of freeplay until it hit the piston. Fired the motor and pushed the pedal and it worked. He was trying to get the pedal stiff, no freeplay like a conventional clutch.
    Gator Engineering