Default Starter issues, any ideas?

I'm having trouble with my mod starting. Used a flex plate I had in shop and a new starter. Car made a terrible grinding sound. Tried shims, same result. I purchased a new flex plate and had another new starter. I put them on today with the same results. Starters can be used for large or small flex plate, I'm using 168 tooth. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Too much initial timing or compression kicking back? Is the distributor locked out?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I went through the same thing with a aftermarket starter, i ended up having to take the alum mounting block off the starter and have .100 shaved off where the starter and block meet and shim it to fit.. this fixed my problem, hope this helps..

Everything is locked down, ran a Bert with reverse mount last year and everything was fine.

Thanks for the tip, thanks!

Un hook the power wire going to the actual motor on the starter not the solenoid. Have a buddy hit the starter button. It will allow the gear to pop out and you can see where its contacting the flex plate. That will tell you where your problem is.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Got it corrected, thanks for the help!